“First class service, premier class food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 137 restaurants in Chorley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Whittle-le-Woods has been placed firmly on every food lover's map since the opening of The Red Cat on Blackburn Road. With more countryside charm than you could shake a muddy Wellie at, The Red Cat is renowned for its peaceful location and classic modern British menu. With its whitewashed exterior, original stonework and exposed wooden beams, you'll feel right at home in this cosy venue. Head Chef Chris Rawlinson has worked hard to create a moreish seasonal menu, and favourite dishes at The Red Cat include the fresh mussels with garlic and chive cream; the saddle of venison with spinach, beetroot purée and rosemary potatoes; and the bread and butter pudding with clotted cream and apricots.
Chorley
“First class service, premier class food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

The tasting menu with wine is a most pleasant way to spend an evening with someone special. Whenever my wife and I have a reason to celebrate we would always choose the Red Cat!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
Chorley Lancs
“Never Fails”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have been visiting The Red Cat since it rose from the ashes of a somewhat chequered past. Its hard to believe that we have such a classy restaurant in Chorley. My wife and I are huge foodies and regularly visit London on a pilgrimage to the culinary capital. I would happily put chef Chris Rawlinson's tasting menu up against any of the household celebs offerings. The food is honest and creative. The service attentive and friendly. Rumour has it that the guys have just taken over The Royal Oak between Houghton and Blackburn. Cant wait to try it. Mmmmmm....... better stop now, this is sounding too much like an advert :-) Love this place. PS. The fish and chips on the lunch menu are mega.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome for a very enjoyable lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

From the moment we stepped through the door, every member of our family from the youngest to the older members were made welcome in this pleasant relaxed restaurant. The staff were helpful, knowledgeable and willingly met all our diverse needs to make a throughly delightful lunch. We enjoyed a glass of champagne while sitting on the sofas before moving through to the discrete privacy of our table for the freshly prepared, well presented food. Complimented by a good choice of wine, it made for an excellent celebration. Having been before we look forward to returning again in the future.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Preston, United Kingdom
“ME OWWWWW!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had been looking forward to the Red Cat for a very long time, constantly checking the menus on the website. All of them looked fabulous. I decided to drive and try the market menu, if it was any good I would be happy to pay the £20 taxi fare home and sample the £55 tasting menu on our next visit. Unfortunately my expectations of a 2AA rosette establishment were left unfulfilled. The starter which my wife and I both tried was disappointing. Very tasty black pudding with ice cold half a boiled egg was odd. It also required more sauce to bind the dish. The mains were good but not special. I had the pork loin. OK. The good lady wife sampled a fatty rump of lamb with lentils. Both dishes had fine mash. Desserts were good, but didn't blow us away. Pannacotta - tasty. Choc mousse with honeycomb and raspberry mascapone, none left but not the best. I couldn't bring myself to pay the 10% discretionary service charge as the staff left glasses empty and then unforgiveably lent over us as we attempted to eat our food. The waitress also tried to justify the serving of the ice cold egg. In -2 temps, shockingly, the restaurant was freezing. The christmas tree looked nice though.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wigan UK
“Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Went with my wife for the £22.50 Sunday lunch menu, the food was excellent, service first class, could not fault it, would definitely go back again

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere