“the service charge left a nasty taste in the mouth” 5 of 5 stars

+44 (0)1257 263966
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Whittle-le-Woods has been placed firmly on every food lover's map since the opening of The Red Cat on Blackburn Road. With more countryside charm than you could shake a muddy Wellie at, The Red Cat is renowned for its peaceful location and classic modern British menu. With its whitewashed exterior, original stonework and exposed wooden beams, you'll feel right at home in this cosy venue. Head Chef Chris Rawlinson has worked hard to create a moreish seasonal menu, and favourite dishes at The Red Cat include the fresh mussels with garlic and chive cream; the saddle of venison with spinach, beetroot purée and rosemary potatoes; and the bread and butter pudding with clotted cream and apricots.
Chorley, United Kingdom
“the service charge left a nasty taste in the mouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have reviewed this restaurant before but have just had a re-visit after a long break so I thought I'd update my review. There are many reasons to visit the red cat - the food is delicious, if you go early and eat off the market menu, £22.50 for 3 courses, it is good value, the wine list is excellent, the service is prompt but unobtrusive, the canapes are a nice touch and the full-length mirror in the ladies is extremely flattering!

From my latest visit I have discovered a couple of reasons not to visit. My first reason is extremely small and it would't really stop me from returning. They used to offer a selection of bread rolls and now you just get given one. Just a small point but a small bit of enjoyment lost from the night. The second point is rather more annoying. They now put a 10% service charge on the bill. This isn't mentioned on the menu, or wasn't on the market menu and on the bill it doesn't say it is discretionary even though I'm sure it is. I certainly never mind paying for good service but want to be able to choose how much I leave. If people have gone to the restaurant for a special occasion paying more than they normally would an extra 10% on top could stop them from visiting again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

UK
“Fine dining close to Chorley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We reserved our table for 7.30pm just 40 mins before we due to dine on a Thursday evening, so we realised it was not going to be crowded, but surprised when there were only another dozen diners eating at the same time. Having been recommended to go by friends we were expecting a better atmosphere, but perhaps they went at the weekend, when I believe it gets a lot busier.

Being quiet meant the service was very good, without being over attentive, but one of the waiters did have a personal hygiene problem, which was a bit off-putting.

The menu's are cleverly put together to accommodate everyone's budget with a "taster" menu at £55 without wine, a full al a carte with starters from £7 to £11 - mains from £17 to £20 - deserts at £7. We had the "card" menu, which was three courses for £22.50, and proved to be great value for money.

There were plenty of choices for each course, the quality and taste of the food was excellent, with just the right amount of seasoning, and the presentation and temperature was perfect. For the food alone, I would definitely go back again, but probably take friends along to create a better atmosphere.

It's a great pity that too often in the UK "fine dining" means a stuffy atmosphere and this ex-cosy pub could easily be transformed to a more enjoyable eating experience, so I really hope they take the time and effort to do this. A visit to Nutters would be a good idea in my opinion.

It's really good to see this quality of food in this part of Lancashire, so I hope they continue to be popular and are around for when we are ready to go again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Great food. Much to be desire on the service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Beautiful location. The food impressive, but pricey for a local establishment. A disappointment was the service. Not even a thank you after saying we had a nice meal and spending more than £100.

Visited October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service but just something missing...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Visited Sat 6 Oct, 2 diners. Booked online, immediate confirmation. Super welcome. Had scallops, lamb then crumble; my friend had soup, lamb then lemon and white chocolate mousse. All very well presented and tasty (the lamb dish very substantial, beautifully cooked, i too found the pastry element odd but loved it with the sweetness of the cabbage) ; 2 cocktails, bottle of wine, liquor coffees and a couple of other drinks £145.. Felt this was good value for the quality/setting/service. Great spacious table (was for 4 really but nice distance from others). I can't give this a 10/10 though and this is due to atmosphere. No music, very hushed conversations... I certainly don't want loud noise while eating, but maybe a little upbeat background music would have lifted the volume and atmosphere to one of a little more 'fun' and less 'restrictive' . I would recommend this place and I would go again, probably as part of a larger group to compensate for the atmosphere.p

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
England
“Simply excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We celebrated my husband's birthday on 4th October at the red cat. It was simply excellent. Well timed, friendly service with excellent knowledge of the food they are serving. We have ate here many times, all of the visits very good, but I think it just got better. We had the market menu. The lamb with wild mushrooms is a dish I am still dreaming about. I can't wait to eat it again! Beet root risotto, perfect and interesting. We had per dinner cocktails, coffee, post dinner drinks and the bill was £120. Not cheap, but I don't mind paying those prices when the food and service is as good as it was. I really wish that this restaurant would get more recognition. It's as good as the local Michelin restaurant, north cotes, yet more personal. Don't think about it.. Go!

• Visited October 2012