“Somewhere to visit on a special occasion” 5 of 5 stars

+44 (0)1257 263966
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Whittle-le-Woods has been placed firmly on every food lover's map since the opening of The Red Cat on Blackburn Road. With more countryside charm than you could shake a muddy Wellie at, The Red Cat is renowned for its peaceful location and classic modern British menu. With its whitewashed exterior, original stonework and exposed wooden beams, you'll feel right at home in this cosy venue. Head Chef Chris Rawlinson has worked hard to create a moreish seasonal menu, and favourite dishes at The Red Cat include the fresh mussels with garlic and chive cream; the saddle of venison with spinach, beetroot purée and rosemary potatoes; and the bread and butter pudding with clotted cream and apricots.
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Somewhere to visit on a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We visit here quite regularly - basically when I can think up a special occasion to celebrate. I always find the food delicious and the service excellent. I get childishly excited about the choice of bread and the canapés and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, you never feel rushed - or abandoned. There may not be the largest choice on the menu and maybe sometimes I think that maybe one ingredient too many has been added to the dish. However, when I eat it I always enjoy it even if it contains an ingredient I wouldn't normally try (with the exception of cinnamon in the red cabbage once but no-one is going to convert me to cinnamon!) Go early in the evening and you can try the set menu that is good value.

• Visited April 2012

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Not much choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I went out for a romantic meal recently and was dissapointed not only was the menu expensive there was also not much choice of food.The staff were friendly enough but the rooms were so small i felt very squashed.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lancshire
“Immerse yourself in fine, locally sourced gastric experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

I visit the Red Cat fairly regularly as we're lucky enough to be within walking distance. Shame to see a few disparaging reviews as this is an amazing family venture that through the difficult climate is sticking to its guns by providing high quality service, fine locally sourced food and excellent wines. The team put heart and soul in making the offering exceptional on every single plate. Don't go if you want A N other restaurant. Come to the Red Cat for an experience in finely prepared, innovative cuisine and the very best of everything. If you tried to source the ingredients locally working with so many flavours, you try and cost that out and sustain a business that delivers principle to maintain a standard. Food lovers, don't wait for a special occasion to treat yourself to an amazing evening. After many visits, I can honestly say that broadening my cuisine vocabulary has always been a real pleasure delivered in sophisticated style. Long may it continue and flourish for one of the finest restaurants I've enjoyed in Lancashire.

Muenster, Germany
“Over rated, over priced, poor value for money, no ambience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I went to this restaurant with my mum today, for lunch, what a very disappointing experience. Limited menu, to be fair the starter of white crab was nice and the fresh, warm bread roll was a nice touch, but the butter serving was very sparse, however our main course was horrible. The tartare sauce was tasteless, the fish was ok, the chips were disgusting, they were thick, dry, yet had been cooked in beef dripping(for which we paid extra). They tasted more like they had been marinated in beef dripping for at least 24 hours, just horrible and they left an awful after taste. The food was served on what can only be described as a bread board. I very much question how hygienic this is, particularly as you could see previous cutting marks. I wonder how clean these are, as I don't believe they are dishwasher proof!! The peas were an odd colour and they had been separated from the juice (this was spread across the board, presumably to hide the cutting marks of previous diners!) , which also left them very dry. There was no ambience whatsoever, a really strange atmosphere.
My mum had not been for a very long time and needless to say we won't be going back. I don't mind paying for good quality, but £38 for lunch for two of us, with one soft drink, is really too much with such poor value for money and poor food quality.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
redcat09, Owner at Red Cat, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
We do appreciate you letting us know at the time of your visit if you have any complaints so we may address them at the time. You were indeed asked if everything was to your satisfaction and yet you did not raise any issues, instead the first we hear of your experience is on an internet review site. We could have explained that the delicious chips cooked in dripping were included in the price of your £15 2 course lunch or that we serve crushed peas and a separate pea puree to go with your fresh Atlantic cod on an exceptionally clean wooden plate. We may have also asked what type of atmosphere you were expecting on a sunny Wednesday lunchtime. However the opportunity has passed, but thank you for taking the time to comment.
Hoghton, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We were introduced to the Red Cat by friends and have visited since on special occasions. The food is fine dining and you will not fail to be impressed. It is quite pricey and probably somewhere you would go for a treat but it wont be money wasted. The venue itself is very well presented, with comfy seating for whilst you are waiting, with lovely decor. The menu is small and will be explained to you by the waiter, which is a very nice touch. All the food is fresh and presented in an exquisite fashion. You will find yourself marveling at the presentation and the tastes. Top venue, you will need to book!

• Visited October 2011
redcat09, Owner at Red Cat, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We have some great deals at lunch, midweek and Sunday, please visit our website for the latest offers. Hope to see you again soon.