“Run for the hills” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Chorley
Norfolk
“Run for the hills”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

Having booked the hotel due its location and price I then read the reviews. I contacted the hotel and raised concerns and rec'd an email from the manager ensuring me I would not be dissapointed. Arriving in the car park all we could see was dirty windows with rotting woodwork. Inside was little better. The room was dark, has damp stains all around the wallpaper, the carpet was stained, the "seat" was a metal folding chair, the curtains were stained and so on. We went out for the evening and when we returned we were kept awake by music from a function and what sounded like an orgy in the room next door. Breakfast was unpleaseant, dried up and not nice to look at and the room was dark and decrepid. Staff on the desk were friendly and helpfull. Despite the good price I would never stay tghere again even though I regularly stay at Quality Hotel chain properties.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — most things
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
East Sussex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

I booked (or thought I had) on the hotel website on 31st July 2007 and received 2 x confirmation E mails. I chose the hotel because it was quite close to the Open Golf at Birkdale and I had tickets. A few days before travelling I called the hotel to enquire about check in and they claimed they did not hold a reservation for me. I was most concerned and stated that I could prove my booking. They told me "don't panic we will see if any of the big party staying here have cancelled and if not we will look at whether there are any alternatives but there is a golf tournament on you know " Why did they think I had taken the trouble to book a year in advance. They even asked me if I had booked the right year ! I was promised a call back which never came and the day before I was due to travel I rang the hotel again and told another receptionist (who knew nothing about my predicament) that unless they called me back with an alternative by that evening then I would make my own booking as close as I could get and then seek compensation from them for any differential. By the evening they still had not called me and I had no choice but to book a budget type hotel - Holiday Inn Express in Warrington. This was twice as far away from the Open Golf but I really had no choice as all the hotels in the Chorley area were not surprisingly fully booked. When I got home after the Open I sent the Quality Hotel copies of my confirmed reservation and a receipt from the Holiday Inn Express and sought compensation for the extra £65 which it had cost for 3 nights + extra travel costs and inconvenience. Their response was to say that they had found me an alternative hotel 10 mins away but had not been able to contact me and offered me as "a gesture of goodwill" 20% discount off a future booking. Firstly they never actually tried to contact me as I was at home throughout this period and have an answerphone for messages if I was in the garden or something. The odds of them finding anything during the Open Golf are practically nil anyway so I will leave readers of this to judge who they believe. I live circa 250 miles away from Chorley so a 20% voucher is totally useless to me anyway. Despite numerous E mails they will not budge and compensate me a penny for the dreadful way that they have treated me throughout this experience and I have to say that perhaps it was no bad thing that I did not end up staying there. At least the Holiday Inn Express were superb from a customer service perspective. I have tried to encourage the Quality Hotel to look at their systems as based upon other comments on Trip Advisor this is not the first time there has supposedly been no trace of a booking. Sadly they don't appear to have taken any notice of me though so if you do decide to book this hotel be warned that you might not have a booking at all and I have no intention of ever getting involved with their group of hotels again. Sorry I cannot comment on the hotel itself as I never got to set foot in it !

• Liked — That I did not go there in the end
  • Disliked — Failure to honour my confirmed booking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
East Anglia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

I wrote a review a year or so ago and the hotel and staff definately haven't improved. On check in we were smiled at then ignored for a fair few minutes because someone was being trained on the computer. There was then some confusion over our booking until we set them straight. The corridor to the room and the room smelt musty and the room was in a very old and tired state with an ancient, loose shower head, damp areas in the bathroom and ripped wallpaper in the room. However, I have to say that everywhere appeared clean and the bright white towels were lovely and clean.
On check out they tried to charge us again for the room that had been paid for in advance and they tried to charge the people we were with £36 for 3 breakfasts. Total disorganisation.
If you want a cheap place to get your head down this does the job but I wouldn't recommend paying for the breakfast. If it's included in the price it's not bad but at £9.95 when paid for separately I thought it was a bit steep and really not that special (but the lady who served us was very nice).
We stayed here for 2 nights and as we had stayed here before we knew what to expect, which wasn't a lot.

• Liked — The price.
  • Disliked — The whole place needs closing down and revamping.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mill Hotel Chorley? Share your experiences!