“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Castleton B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had to book into the Castleton at the last minute because plans fell through. They were excellent value, very helpful and friendly, and the breakfast was lovely. They were a bit further out of Manchester than I'd been looking for but they were an easy drive, and also near Castleton train station.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I live in Vancouver BC and planned a hike in the Peak District as part of my vacation. Castleton was easy to reach by train and bus. The village was enchanting. The Castle pub was everything I hoped for. A large bedroom, tons of hot water, great service and incredible meals. The breakfast was quite adequate (continental). Hiking around the Peak District was perfect, with many day hikes clearly marked on the OS map I purchased in the little village shop which also sold fresh baked goodies.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Chelmorton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We would like to say a special thanks to Michelle and her staff at the Castleton Hotel for a fantastic 90th Birthday with great food and a comfortable stay , many thanks for making it all so special ( SORRY ABOUT THE MESS) everyone had a great time. We will certainly stay at the Castleton Hotel if we are in the area again.
Guy &Sue Buckley (Chelmorton, Derbyshire)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rochdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My self and my husband went for a birthday meal the other night and the food as ever was wonderful .I had the pate and I have to say it was the best I have ever had .The whole meal was really excellent .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Limavady, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

excellent hotel. decor food staff and surroundings are far superior to any of surrounding hotels. we live in ireland but visit mcr fairly regularly. we have stayed in a lot of hotels both in city centre mcr and north manchester but none come close to matching the warm welcome and special attention to detail that is all part of the castleton experience. cant wait to visit again.

Room Tip: all the rooms are first class !!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Rochdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Once again we returned to the Castleton Hotel for our anniversary celebration dinner,
The decor may be dated,but the QUALITY is outstanding. The Reception and Bar area is homely and very welcoming.There are very few Restuarants in the U.K that deliver silver service like this.
The food is top quality. The hotel is spotless with.quaint Garden area..
Ideally located for visits to Manchester,Rochdale and surrounding area,including Hollingworth Lake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Auchterarder, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was attending a seminar at a local venue and decided to stay here. It was a very hastily arranged booking which I completed via internet.
The first impression let's it down a little; decor and furnishings in the public area's are somewhat tired and showing signs of age. We (wife and I) were shown to our room and it was as if it was in a different hotel. Large modern furnished and decorated corner room with two huge windows that allow plenty of natural light in with properly fitting Blackout Curtains for hibernation mode. En suite was modern with bath and shower and the usual supplied toiletries.
We arrived just after 9.00pm and were not looking to have anything to eat at that time and may have been disappointed if we were as the kitchen closes at 9.00pm and the bar has no snack items.
After the four hour drive from home I was really just looking for a nightcap before going to bed and although the settee's in the bar had seen better days, there was a certain comfort in 'sinking in' to a saggy old settee - But then again, I happen to like Bagpuss (saggy old cloth cat) After our nightcap we went to bed.
Sometimes hotel beds can be good for 'sore backs' in that if you didn't have one before you get into it, you'll have one when you get out of it. Unfortunately I had hurt mine a few days before and was concerned a little that my recovery maybe prolonged as a result. This was not the case; after a good night's sleep I got out of bed in better shape than I was when I got into bed.
Breakfast: Let's just say you won't go hungry; Fruit juice, cereal's, fresh fruit, croissant's, toast, tea & coffee if you only have a few mins to grab and go or if you have the time and appetite you can have all of the above plus a full English but if you couldn't manage that they will gladly prepare your own selection of freshly cooked items and they are certainly not meagre with the portions.
I probably have been generous with the score rating but I believe it's better than average for a hotel of its class and type.
Friendly and helpful staff. The only detractors were the public areas looked dated and the Swags & Tails Curtains were holding a lot of dust.

Room Tip: Corner room had a bright and airy feel to it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Castleton Hotel? Share your experiences!