“What a Dump!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Alexander Hotel

The Alexander Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Burnley
The Alexander Hotel
You added The Alexander Hotel to your Saves list
1 Leven Street, Burnley BB11 3ET, England   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Burnley
Middx
“What a Dump!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

We were recommended this hotel to stay in as there was a function being held there that we were invited too. On arrival at the hotel the reception made the hotel look very welcoming and was clean and tidy until we were shown to our room!!! We booked a family room which turned out to be the disabled room, the toilet and sink were very low and caused problems with washing and brushing teeth and the toilet caused problems for my partner who is 6ft in using the toilet. The beds in the room were extremely uncomfortable and the mattress on both the single and the double bed had seen better days, both of which were so old and worn that lumps and bumps kept us awake during the night as well as bad backs having laid on the mattress and could feel the solid bed through it. The bedding was worn and had holes in and the pillows smelt and were rock hard. The floor hadn't been hoovered properly and much to my disgust was covered in long black hair which also trailed into the bathroom and over the bathroom floor. The telly did not have the 6 channels that was mentioned in the welcome pack, and the remote control did not work either. The room was very poorly decorated and smelt of damp. The best part of the stay was the cooked breakfast which was cooked very well and tasted lovely. I would not recommend this stay for anyone staying over 1 night

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family

Anglesey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

This is the second time i have stayed at the Alexander, for a week at a time. The staff there are exeptional and nothing is to much bother for them, from the day staff like Sue and Karen to Alan on the night shift. The food is excellent with a good variety menu both in the lounge bar and the resteraunt and it is always served piping hot and with a smile.
The rooms are very comfy with tea and coffee making facilities. At this hotel you will be welcomed with Burnley hospitality which is second to none. I would gladly recomend this hotel and its staff to anyone.

• Liked — The location of the hotel and the great staff.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

If you want to stay at a homely, family run hotel then this is it!
The Alexander Hotel was a pleasure to stay in. The staff were polite, friendly, accomadating, and were nothing but helpful. Myself and 3 friends stayed at the hotel for a week, and it was a perfect place to stay if you wanted somewhere peaceful and quiet. Breakfast was included with a choice of hot or cold breakfast which was wonderful. There was a fair amount of choice for the evening meal, it was reasonably priced and we were served big portions! I cannot fault the service of the Hotel, I would certainly stay there again and reccomend it to others.

Stayed July 2008
Carlisle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

As a wheelchair user I'd booked to stay at the Alexander because it had a wheelchair accessible room.

On arrival there was a ramp to the main entrance to the hotel, and there were 2 narrow doors which you could only just get a chair through. I asked them to open the other door, but it didn't help as there was still a vertical support down the middle of the doors! The reception area had 1 step to it, so the receptionist came to give me the key to my room.

The room I was shown to was in a separate building off the car park. There was no way I could get in it as it had a large step and I could see that inside the bathroom was at 90 degrees and had a narrow door way to get through. When I pointed this out, and said that I’d booked the accessible room, I was told that that this was it.

My colleague had got a room 2 doors away so I had a look at that which had level access, spacious bathroom and wide doors, so I had that room. There was also a path leading to the door with no parking allowed, which was invaluable as my colleague said that someone had parked right up to the door of the other room and that there was no way I would have been able to get out. Obviously this was a mix up on behalf of the receptionist, but I would’ve thought that they should know the difference between an accessible room and a non accessible room.

The room itself wasn't great. There was no hairdryer or telephone in the room, and it was quite tatty, but it was clean. It’s a 20 minute walk from the middle of Burnley.

We didn't eat in the hotel and went to Aldo's in Burnley which on a Monday had pizza/pasta for £3.95. Breakfast was ok: cereal, fruit juice, grapefruit and a cooked breakfast.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

I recently stayed in this so called 3 star hotel and thankfully it was for only one night. My room was off the car park, with a dirty carpet, food on the floor in the bathroom and no phone, hairdryer and a mattress that resembled cheap underlay. The staff were rude and didn’t seem to have a clue what to do. Don’t get me started on the so called bar and restaurant. The lager was flat (that’s when there was someone behind the bar to serve you) and the food was thrown together with what was in the kitchen. Needless to say I never stayed for breakfast. Never again!!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

Dirty, cold rooms. Surly staff. Food from 'The Gourmet Restaurant' was a joke! My colleague asked to change rooms after being put in the filthy 'car park suite' - he was greeted by an unhelpful member of staff, acting if typing a few buttons on his computer was a major hassle.

I had no hot water in my room in the shower too.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for independent, family run hotels. Its much better than a faceless corporate hotel, but this place wasn't even trying.
Like being in a time warp!

Website is truely deceptive too.

Come on...manners and an accomadating atmosphere don't cost a thing. A little renovation wouldn't go a miss too.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

18th September 2007- Mrs L Cantrill

I arrived at the hotel and was very impressed with the helpfulness of the staff they couldn't do more to help after such a long journey. I had a warm cosy room and enjoyed a hot meal and a good nights sleep. I will be definiteley stay again when i return to burnley.

• Liked — It was the most enjoyable stays i have ever had, it was so nice and i cant wait to go back to the alexander hotel
  • Disliked — i didnt find a thing wrong with the hotel it was such a lovley break in such a nice hotel
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Alexander Hotel? Share your experiences!