“Worth a trip just to stay at this hotel. Superb” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Trapp Lane | Simonstone, Burnley BB12 7QW, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Burnley
Buenos Aires
“Worth a trip just to stay at this hotel. Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel is in a beautiful setting. The bar/restaurant is lovely and old-worldy and no TV to take away from the charm - although there a TV lounge in the ante-room, if you wish. The staff were friendly.

The rooms are well-sized and immaculate. The courtesy tray is well stocked. Bed quality was excellent. TV quality and choice of channels - including sport - was great. The free wi-fi worked well.

Next time I am in the North West, I intend to go back here just to chill out.

One word of warning - I think there is no lift, so if that is a requirement, just check with the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the amenities that we offer in the bedrooms. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the North West.

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Higher Trapp is one of our absolute favourite hotels. It is in a most beautiful spot with fabulous views at all times of the year. The food is fresh, well cooked and served by staff with white gloves on - such a super touch! We must have stayed there about twelve times or more in the last three years including lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas days too. Fitzy's restaurant is run with fault free service - the Manager always remembers us and knows what we like and nothing is too much trouble for her. One more thing, all the Receptionists are superbly trained and are spot-on with reservations and any special requests we might have. We are going back again in October and have already booked for Valentine's Day next year!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Parker lodge and rooms at the back of the hotel have the best views but every room we h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response on trip advisor. I am delighted to read how much you enjoy staying with us and I am sure Dawn and the reception team will be pleased to read your comments. I hope you will continue to stay with us and I look forward to seeing you in October.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding recently. The wedding arrangements were superb and the food brilliant (you know how wedding is often a little naff? This was brilliant). We were allowed to check in at 11am, which was very accommodating, so we could get ready for the wedding. The room was small but homely, comfortable and with a clean bathroom and very fast wifi.

The grounds are lovely, and the location is excellent - don't let the suggestion here that it is in Burnley fool you - it's not. It's on the edge of the Ribble Valley, which is every bit as pretty as the Lake District.

My only niggles are the little things which let it down. The meats used in the breakfast felt cheap, while someone (who I assume was a manager) was rather snarky during the wedding, bitterly saying 'we've sold a lot of that tonight' when I asked for a second glass of tap water - the room was very hot and, if you're selling beer for just shy of £4 a pint, some water on tap shouldn't be a lot to ask.

With so many other nice things to mention, having those little things let it down feels all the more disappointing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for your recent review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the wedding and that the food was up to our usual standard and exceeded your expectations.
I am very disappointed that a few minor niggles let us down but please be assured that i will be sitting down with my team to see where we can make improvements so these things do not happen in the future.
Maxine Walsh
Woking, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We came here for a wedding the other day. The wedding itself was beautiful and the grounds were really pretty. For a wedding venue I can see why people choose it and the food was tasy but the hotel rooms? Ick!

The walls might as well have had a sheet separating the rooms because I could hear word for word our neighbours conversations, their sexual activity (which wasn't pleasant!) and as a result did not sleep a wink. The walls had pen markings and different shades of paint on it (which isn't very welcoming) and our pillow cases had stains on them. I am not usually very picky when it comes to hotels. I just want a place to rest my head for the night. I don't expect to come away, but after paying £50, to feel more exhausted when leaving than before I arrived!

Not coming here again- ever!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. I am happy that you found the hotel and grounds pretty.
The points you have made about the rooms have been looked into particularly the markings on the wall. As you have said it is not very welcoming and not what guests should be seeing. Please be assured we will be having some of the rooms painted to bring them up to the standard to which we usually have.
I have also spoken to the relevant people regarding our laundry.
I thank you for bringing these things to my attention, knowing about these things helps me to identify areas that need looking into so that i can rectify them.
If you would like to forward me your details i can write to you personally.
Maxine Walsh
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our room was small bed was only a double the out look was over the flat roof and the window although it could be opened water leaked onto the windowsill.
We had a dirty glass in the bathroom and also one of the cups on the tea tray was also dirty.
Shower screen was full of grime.
Toilet roll had not been changed.
When the rooms were being prepared for making up in other hotels they have laundry trolleys for clean linen not here they put the sheets on the floor outside each room.
There were no menu's on the tables for breakfast the waitress said they had forgot to put them out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for us not meeting the standard of cleanliness that is expected. I will be having a meeting with the housekeeping team to make sure that our standards are satisfying our guests' expectations. Unfortunately due to the various steps on the bedrooms corridor, a trolley would not be suitable for laundry; however I have made sure that laundry will not be placed on the floor in future.

I am sorry you were dissatisfied with your bed. We always try make sure our guests have a comfortable stay and reception would have been happy to offer you one of our rooms with a king bed, had you made us aware of your preference.

I hope your experience will not deter you from staying with us in the future, as your experience does not reflect our normal high standards.
Burntwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The Higher Trapp is a nice hotel reached by driving up an almost mystical tree covered lane. The entrance is easy to miss so take care, it is also further up the lane than you expect so don't give up. My trip was for business and I was pleasantly surprised on arrival though it looked nothing like the internal site pictures, I soon realised that's because they are taken from the country house front of the building and the hotel entrance is at the back.
The staff are nice and friendly, and except when run off their feet for a mid week wedding very helpful and polite. For me the ambiance was good if quaint but it was a country house. My colleagues who were Danish and Irish felt the rooms (we all stayed in the main hotel so have no experience of the lodges) were old fashioned and dated in one case to the point of needing a facelift. Lick many UK based hotels the rooms do lack a wall-safe but the internet connection was good and stable and my room could not have been much further from the access point.
My only gripe and yes those of you who read my reviews will know I often have them was related to the food.
Breakfast is buffet for continental (juices, cereals fruits and pastries) and waitress service for the wide selection of hot food. The evening and lunch menu is good and the starters and desserts were well received by all of us. So what was the problem you ask......Well the main courses left a lot to be desired, oily and soggy chips which in two cases were burned (possibly old cooking oil), the portions were a little on the small side and the meats (gammon and steaks on the dry side) they did have salad garnish but everything else was a side and charged as extra. The basic steak prices were £17.50 - £23 (for a 7oz fillet) starters were from £5 for soup and up, and desserts £5 for ice-cream and up.
The biggest shock was at breakfast on the first day I ordered brown toast with poached eggs, I thought at first it was wholemeal but in fact the green lumps were mould. When I pointed it out to the waitress she simply said 'Oh dear' and took it away. The settings for breakfast are laid out as the bar is about to close for the evening so it was no surprise but it was non the lest a disappointment that the knives and forks had greasy fingerprints on them, on the second morning I tried 8 places before I found one with clean cutlery, and many of the cups had the baked on tea or coffee stains common to crockery washed in pub dishwashers.

Room Tip: Don't have a room too near to reception because of the frequent weddings even in the week.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you for your review on trip advisor. We take all feedback seriously and act upon it immediatley. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us.

I have looked into all the points you have raised, the restaurant prices being one of them. We feel we offer good value for money and the prices are in line with other eating establishments in the area. Your breakfast was not up to the standard I expect, and although the member of staff offered a replacement, it does not excuse what you were orginally served, please accept my apologies for this.

I hope this does not deter you from visiting us again so that you can see that this is not how we operate. Once again thank you for your feedback and we do hope to welcome you back soon.
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

stayed here for 1 night in the lodges in the grounds very nice hotel, only problem was getting fron the lodges to main hotel not so good if raining. we stayed for a wedding and it is a really lovely hotel and excellent value for money, would stay again.

Room Tip: Try and stay in main hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for leaving your comments about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in the Parker Lodge (despite the rain!) We do provide umbrellas in reception for any of our guests to use. I hope you will return to stay with us again soon.

Been to BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!