“Lovely place....shame about the organisation” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Bury, United Kingdom
“Lovely place....shame about the organisation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Went on a Friday night last minute and they accommodated us well and they were very friendly. Unfortunately there was a large group of loud women - but that wasn't the fault of the staff. However, being made to wait for their pre-ordered meals was. I understand it is a small business and the food is made to order, but leaving at least four couples waiting for their food for a long time was just not acceptable. They could have at least told us what was going on or provided some tapas or something - considering what we were paying it was the least they could do. I guess the live music and low lighting helped a little.

By the time the food did arrive, I was ready to chew my arm off. We both ordered steak (at £16) and it came with three cherry tomatoes, three asparagus and three half slices of a courgette. I went to the kitchen to ask for more vegetables, and the look they gave me was as if I asked for gold leaf or something! The owner, to her credit, came over later on and gave us the vegetables (by which point I had long finished my steak) and said we could have some chips. I didn't want to wait any longer for that, so I declined.

The meal itself was expensive, and if we had been served reasonably quickly or at least told we had a wait, I would have been ok with that. Unfortunately, I left feeling I had been jipped.

• Visited May 2013

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Love the Fat Giraffe, amazing food and friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Living close by, we have become quite regular customers of the Fat Giraffe. The food is absolutely amazing and well worth the wait that sometimes happens during busy times. The restaurant is only small, but the staff, and Claire in particular, are very friendly and helpful. We usually go for breakfast/brunch on a weekend, but have also visited on a Saturday evening. We also take people here when they are visiting, and would highly recommend a visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Quality with atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

The food is presented and tastes excellent. I'm vegetarian and I love the fact that I have different choices everytime. The atmosphere is relaxed, the service is friendly, and welcoming. I was informed that if there was any special dietary needs, just to let them know when we book, as the menu is refreshed regularly. Breakfast, lunch and evenings all have the warm welcoming feel with good food. If you like quality food and drink in a friendly atmosphere this is a gem.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Friendly place. Homely.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Easy to find. You can park outside. Relaxing place. Friendly polite staff. Nice food. We had soup of the day. Cake and coffee. Reasonably priced. Newspapers for reading. Nice park two minutes away for gentle walk. Would go again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A little foodie treasure in a town short of them”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

If you find yourself in the wind-swept town of Padiham, which I lived near for many, many years this little gem on the main route through is really well worth stopping off for a light bite.

The home cooked menu of contemporary food is really quite adventurous in parts (for a town not known for its celebration of fine food) but mainly focuses on a mix of light savoury snacks, salads and sandwiches. Presentation is excellent and the team of people who run this place really care about the finer details.

Portions are generous and there is a daily specials board as well as cakes and afternoon teas. Not the largest café on the planet but it is has a cool and quaint intimacy.

This café deserves to be a real hit with cyclists as its on the main route through to the Pennines (if you're heading towards Burnley) and on the road out to Whalley and Clitheroe if you're heading to the Ribble Valley.

A great place for lunch and, if I'm not mistaken, it is open in the evenings over the weekend.

• Visited December 2012