“Enjoyable meal and evening” 4 of 5 stars
Review of fence gate inn

fence gate inn
wheatley lane | fence, Burnley, England
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 129 restaurants in Burnley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: consistantly good food and bar snacks
Burnley, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal and evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Went to the Fence Gate on a Friday night. No problems checking in and quickly taken to our table on arrival.

The menu seems to have changed recently and was attached to a piece of card which didn't seem to suit the atmosphere of the place...I assume they will be getting actual menus printed soon.

The food available also seemed to be a little more basic than I had been led to believe by friends who had been previously. Included all the usual dishes you would expect...fish, pasta, steak etc, but nothing unique I haven't seen elsewhere.

Saying that the food we ordered was fantastic, and couldn't fault the quality or size of portion. I had steak and it was cooked to perfection.

All in all my wife and I had a fantastic evening and will be going back to the Fence Gate.

If the worst thing about an evening meal is the actual physical menu and nothing more you're onto a winner. Highly recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

61% Recommend
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Mixed thoughts!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We went as a party of six and chose from the Sunday Lunch menu which was a reasonable price at £12.95 for two courses. Service was good, the waitresses being very polite and helpful. The starters were ok apart from my smoked salmon being a bit hard like it had been left out of the fridge for quite a while.The mains were very mixed in quality. Three of our group had either the chicken or the poached salmon which they said was really nice and three of us had the lamb which was just awful. It was grisly and fatty, the gravy was thick and dark brown as if it was made of bisto. The Yorkshire pudding was burnt and inedible and the veg was hard and tasteless. I left most of mine. I was mulling it over sat outside with a drink when I overheard similar comments from other people who had dined. Shame as the food used to be consistently good! Won't be rushing back!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous service and great food served with a smile.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I visitied the Fence Gate on a Friday lunchtime which was quite busy. However, we received great service from friendly staff. we didnt have to wait long until our food arrived. I had the Moroccan Chicken salad and I can only describe it as perfect.. It was absolutely lovely. Large portion too. The staff were lovely and very helpful. Thank you, I will definately be back

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
colne
“Bad attitude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Went here with a friend to eat in the bar on Tuesday evening, 20th August. We didn't have a problem getting our initial food order taken and the food itself was ok however they were to return with a sweet menu and forgot to do so. Our main grievance was the appalling rude attitude of the bar maid, she certainly didn't make people welcome and seemed particularly miserable and unapproachable, only smiling when a couple of single males came in. It won't be on our list for a visit in the near future.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great place, great food and great staff!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I have been to the fence gate a number of times. Me and my partner went for a meal in the brasserie, yes the place does need a refurb but the food and the staff were excellent! The staff are very friendly, and service was good, to say it was quiet busy! We will defiantly been returning as it's great for money and we never leave disappointed.

• Visited September 2012