“Quality Seems to be standard” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 129 restaurants in Burnley
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Our food is fresh & sourced locally to embrace the flavours of the region. We are Taste Lancashire Highest Quality Assured & members of Made in Lancashire. We offer an extensive wine & also cask ales for which we achieved The Cask Marque Award. Upstairs we have a separate function room for private dining or business occasion. You can always be guaranteed a warm welcome & friendly service.
Manchester UK
“Quality Seems to be standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Happened on this quaint old pub almost by chance, we're so glad we did. Friendly welcome from the host who spoiled me with samples of real ale We enjoyed the garden view & our drinks so much we stayed for dinner. That was also first class, unhurried & served just as we wanted. Most impressed with the quality of steak but the whole dining experience was excellent. Busy Saturday night but we weren't hurried or hassled. One to test market - we'll certainly return. Well done

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I visited the Sparrowhawk last month for a mid week meal to get together with friends. I was dissatisfied with the service but thought it may be a one off so did not submit a review. However, a friend has had a similar experience recently so I know the poor service is not a one off.

When I arrived I waited at the bar to get a drink before the meal. There were about 6 people seated round the bar and no-one behind it. I waited but no-one came to serve me so I moved round the bar in the hope of finding a member of staff. No-one came to serve me despite my obviously looking around for staff. After a few more moments a man seated at the bar next to me, who had seen me come in originally, finished his chat and got off his bar stool to take up his place behind the bar and ask me what I would like to drink! He was a member of staff who had completely ignored me for several minutes. I would have left then if I had not been meeting friends and had a table booked for a meal.

After that I would say that the food was ok, I had pate which was nice. A pasta dish which was ok. And sticky toffee pudding which wasn't so great. During the meal people were left waiting for food well after others had been served and twice we had to ask if meals had been forgotten, which they had.

I was really disappointed as I have been to the Sparrowhawk before and found the food nice. I think it is probably a great place to go if you are a local and known by the staff. I did not feel welcome at all and would not go back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Burnley, United Kingdom
“Beer quality and choice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Although this fine country pub has a good reputation for food. My last visit was for the excellent range of cask conditioned beers.
There are six cask ales on offer and at the very reasonable price of £2.60. Ales are from local brewers. The two I sampled were in excellent condition. Prospect from Standish,Wigan and Bank Top from Bolton. Both breweries have an excellent reputation and never fail to impress.
Bar staff were helpful and pleasant.
The pub is warm and welcoming, with spectacular views across the Pendle countryside .
I ventured into the spacious beer garden, to enjoy my pint,in the spring sunshine.
I will be back soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lancashire
“Changes rung”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We understood that the Sparrow Hawk had changed handsin recent times and decided to have a look at it again. We haven't been for a couple of years which maybe tells you a lot. There's no difference in the decor and it looks the same although the menu has changed a little.

There was a good range of local beers available and bar service was prompt and pleasant. This was a Sunday night and food was served up to last orders at 8pm. and our order was taken quickly, maybe because they stop at 8pm!

I had a gammon steak and my wife opted for the roast pork. She reported it as very tasty and there certainly was plenty of it, as in the case of my gammon.

All in all an experience we'll probably repeat, especially as when the bill came, it was very reasonable at £20 for two including coffees.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Average Pub food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We went for food on a friday night. Food very average. It is standard pub food and could never be accused of fine dining. Drinks ie wine by the glass very expensive. Service was good. Called in for a drink a week last Sunday. The room on the right furthest from the bar was littered with dirty plates and glasses on every empty table. New customers were having to take the dirty plates and glasses to the bar so they could sit down and have a drink. Very poor service indeed on that day!

• Visited February 2013