“Reasonable hotel for a resonable price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Burnley

You added Holiday Inn Express Burnley to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Burnley
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Pendle Way | just off the M65 J10, Burnley BB12 0TJ, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Burnley
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alphen aan den Rijn
“Reasonable hotel for a resonable price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel is about 5 years old and they were renewing all the interior of all the rooms. I had been staying in upgraded room and for the last night I had to pay for the upgrade so I went to the downgraded room which had a different interrior but for the rest no differences. They claimed the beds were better. This is depending on the fact if you like hard beds (which were in the new rooms) The breakfast is average nothing special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have stayed at many Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses, and can honestly say that the Burnley one is by far my favourite. The hotel has a welcoming, modern look, both inside and out (it looks lovely at night), and the rooms are often very reasonably priced.

If you've spent a night at other Holiday Inn Express hotels, there are several things you'll know to expect in advance: clean, well looked after rooms with free tea & coffee and en suite shower; plenty of free parking; free all-you-can-eat standard breakfast buffet (to all the moaners, the breakfast selection is virtually identical in every Holiday Inn Express). You get all this at Holiday Inn hotels too (minus the free breakfast), but Holiday Inn Express hotels are typically known for providing a no frills, fairly basic experience.

So what makes this Holiday Inn Express different? For starters, this one has a lovely restaurant with some fairly priced meals (I'm not aware of any other Holiday Inn EXPRESS hotels that have a restaurant - normally this only applies to Holiday Inns). There's a bar with a good selection of drinks (not that cheap, but it is a hotel). The rooms have decent-sized flat screen TVs! (So many other Holiday Inn Expresses still use terrible 14" portable TVs.) But above all, the staff are courteous, helpful, friendly and actually pleasant to talk to. On the odd occasion where I've needed something out of the ordinary, they've gone out of their way to help.

As a result, I've stayed here several times, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am delighted you like the hotel and will ensure your comments are past to the team. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again very soon
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Travelling to Northumberland, we decided to choose somewhere in the vicinity of Burnley for a simple stopover and the HiEx fit the bill perfectly. Check in was friendly, quick and efficient (even though the first key card issued didn't want to play ball!) and a request for an additional blanket for the bed was fulfilled quickly without fuss. The room had air conditioning which can be set to heat as well.

We eat in the hotel and the food was tasty and served quickly, although since there were only half a dozen of us in the bar area I can't comment on how a busy day may go!

Breakfast was filling, although I agree with the comments about adding bacon to the choices but everything else was good.

Would certainly use this hotel again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised to find this top quality hotel in my home town of Burnley. It's very modern and bright with a nice bar and reception area.
The rooms are a good size and the decor very smart.
Our room backed onto the motorway so I expected it being very noisy but the double glazing works well.
Breakfast was buffet style so as much as you wanted to eat. The food was good with a wide choice. The only negatives were the tables were never cleaned and you had to wait for some of the food as they only put a small amount out at a time. To be fair though the hotel was fully occupied as it was the weekend so very busy.
We booked well in advance so got a good deal. I would not pay the £149 they were asking if you didnt have a reservation though!

Room Tip: The motorway noise didnt bother me but maybe the rooms facing the car park would be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again very soon.
Bluntisham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here with the family (mum , dad and 2 x children) to see the sights of the the south Yorkshire country side including Skipton. Easy access to motorway M65 and M6. Friendly staff great lounge area magnificent breakfast. Bedrooms clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . The hotel is a great place to use as a base for the local attractions but it is worth visiting us again should you wish to visit Blackpool of the Lake District as both are only 40 minutes travel time.

I hope we can welcome you back for your next short break.

northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Last stayed for a lesuire visit in July. This time was (unfortunately) on business.

Check in very friendly and efficient.

Didn't eat in the restaurant but the bar area is very nice and the breakfast was usual HIE selection but all good. very busy in bar area in the evening (football on) so nowhere to sit but sat at the bar so no problem.

Also offered free wifi but service was very intermittent on the evening in question, I guess this was a technical hitch as I heard others mention it as well.

Had a take away delivered from local pizza company and was very good.

Will definitely stay again when need to be in Blackburn etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for coming back and glad to hear we will see you again when you are next in the area.
It would be nice if you would try the new menu on your next trip. Please let me know when you are next visiting the area and I will arrange an introductory discount for the restuarant to be available on arrival.
Have a great weekend and we will look forward to seeing you again soon
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We checked in enroute to Preston. We were on priority points as we stay a lot at Holiday Inn so we know what to expect and are generally aren't disappointed.

However this hotel was a total nightmare. When we first checked in, we noticed a strong smell of something similar to TCP. The windows had been left open, probably to combat this. We thought we would leave it and hoped it would have died down by the time we returned from dinner. Unfortunately it hadn't. WE complained and asked to change rooms as the smell really was overpowering. No rooms available. If we had known the area we would have checked out there and then. The duty manager also noted the smell when he came up to bring us extra pillows. I had a terrible headache on retiring due to the smell. The next day and during several email exchanges the staff totally denied there was a problem and basically made us out to be liars, even though it was obvious someone knew of the problem and indeed the duty manager noted it!

WE also had issues with a clown from reception bringing us pillows twice at 11pm. Despite being sent away once as we had already received them, he came back 15mins later claiming we had phoned down.

Breakfast was disorganised and stock was low. I had the scrambled eggs which I regretted bitterly as they repeated on me all day and by mid afternoon I had terrible stomach cramps and diarrhoea.

In all a total disaster and the customer service was appalling. We finally got our points refunded after a battle.

Certainly wouldn't stay there again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kerian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your review and I am really sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I know I have responded to the points you have raised however I am really sorry that you still seem agrieved despite the steps we have taken to address your issues. I can only reiterate that we are really sorry that we just can not identify the smell you describe .

Breakfast is the Holiday Inn brand standard which is under review and may well change very shortly.

Regards

Been to Holiday Inn Express Burnley? Share your experiences!