“Comfortable & friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
Stafford England
“Comfortable & friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Had sea view room with balcony which was clean and comfortable and worth the extra cost. Good size recently renovated bathroom.

Hotel staff were friendly and hotel located in Tankerton, a short walk along the beach front from Whitstable. Good sized car park – but tricky to find (located off a tiny side road – drive in between the tennis courts). Food good and nice dining room – bar popular with locals.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
hastings
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

we stayed at the marine hotel for a night when my brother got married and had his reception there. We were very dissapointed! We were on the top floor with lots of stairs to go up. Firstly i noticed how filthy the windows were inside and out. Although the sheets were clean there was a large hole in one that my husband put his foot through. There was a thick layer of fluff and dust on the fabric headboard and in fact the while room didnt seem to have been dusted for a long time. Everything was rather worn and tatty and as for the en suite dont get me started! yes there was a couple of clean looking towels but the previous occupant had obviosly been male and had weed over the toilet and floor and this had been left. Baisically i think the chamber person had made the bed and left clean towels. I would never stay there again and never recomend to anyone. Oh i nearly forgot funnily enough i think a chamber person went in our room while we where at breakfast and made our bed and strangley chose to move my husbands shoes, when he bent to pick them up he smacked his head on th tv which was on the wall, he wasnt very happy at all. All in all sucha shame as theres hardly anywhere to stY IN WHITSTABLE.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

There are not many hotels in the area, and the Marine is not good. The room was small, the bathroom had no place to store anything, the hand-
shower control was broken and the wardrobe and rest of the furniture had a bad smell about it.

Breakfast was OK but some of the staff need a check up from the neck up. It is true I was a person of one, and had four unexpected guests for breakfast, but that was no reason for the waitress to get surly with me - or my guests.

I am not sure I totally approve of placing the new sheets and towels for each room on the dirty floor outside each room in the morning, seems a tad unsanitary to me.

On the good side, most of the staff are pleasant, but could be just a little bit more welcoming and open to strangers. The bar is nice, and although the hotel lounge area looks dated, it is fairly new.

The hotel is well placed, and I could see the sea from my room, it would have been nicer if I could have opened the window to let in some of that bracing Kentish air - but it was sealed shut.

This hotel is not great, and is expensive for what it is, and given a choice I would pass it by - problem is...their is not much choice.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled solo
Bournemouth U.K.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

We booked to stay on a Friday and Saturday night in November. Not the place if you want to relax. Directly under our room was a wedding disco which thumped away until after midnight. The room was cold until reception flicked their override switch for the temperature. The bathroom was freezing - no heating in there at all. The carpet around the skirting clearly hadn't seen a hoover for years. We paid a lot of money for a front seaview room with balcony and in our opinion it was grossly overpriced. We checked out on the Saturday morning as there was another function booked in for that night and we couldn't face another sleepless, noisy night. Only good things about the hotel are its location and friendly staff.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Almost everything else
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Harwich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and what a dump! The carpet was stained, the bedthrow was filthy, the skirting boards were filthy and the balcony had not been swept for goodness knows how long as there were cigarette butts on it and neither of us smoked. Even after complaining about it nothing was done. They were in the process of installing air conditioning so there were workmen everywhere and the smell of paint was overpowering.
We sent a letter of complaint to Shepherd Neame but did not receive a satisfactory answer, so my advice to anyone thinking of staying there, dont!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!