“Fish cakes - more like potato cakes” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #80 of 102 Restaurants in Whitstable
Cuisines: Pub
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Fish cakes - more like potato cakes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Brilliant location on the beach but please don't risk the food. I ordered off the specials board fish cakes & thought being a fishing town they are likely to be lovely, well how disappointed was I? They were potato cakes, there was absolutely no fish. I browsed the rest of the menu & couldn't believe the price for non fresh substandard food. Definitely won't be venturing up that end of town again.

London, United Kingdom
“Best drinking hole in Whitsable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Staff are wonderful at this Pub - very friendly and welcoming.
The building has a very quirky interior and in general is a lovely place.
Very clean rest rooms which are tended to regularly.
In the summer months sitting outside on the beach with a chilled pint cannot be beaten - I would recommend this pub to all.

Visited November 2011
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Don't be seduced by the great location”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

The location seemed ideal - we could enjoy the autumn sun and our granddaughter could amuse herself on the beach while we waited for our food. Our experience of the service at the bar was similar to other reviewers. Some people seemed to walk straight in and get served while we stood and waited - and waited. We should have been warned.
We ordered a crab salad, king prawn and chili sauce, burger and chips and chips and cheese. At first it was pleasant in the sun but after half an hour the chill breeze reminded us it was not summer. After forty five minutes I went in to inquire after our food. The barmaid was suddenly busy unpacking glasses and I was completely ignored despite the fact no one was waiting to be served. My husband then came in to say that the food had arrived. Well, half of it had. My daughters had their burger and cheesy chips. The salads arrived after fifty five minutes. We said politely said to the waitress that we had waited a long time. We were treated to surly indifference.
And the food? Was it worth the wait? Burger and chips and cheesy chips, indifferent. My dressed crab was fine but the salad was like a nasty leftover from the seventies - industrial coleslaw and potato salad, pickled onions and beetroot which had leaked all over the paper napkin. My husband's prawns and dip was all right but no more than that.
Had we not paid in advance we would probably have left after about half an hour. Over priced not very nice food and dire service. We do actually live quite locally but will not be returning to the Old Neptune or recommending it to anyone else - avoid.

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“beer on the beach...from the pub on the beach...with daily sunsets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We went on a hot sunny day during the weekend heatwave of 2 Oct...with hundreds of other people...but that was to be expected and was in fact perfectly fine. The rating is soley for the location and the fact that you can drink your beer on the beach with your feet in the water...this fact alone is worth the rating in my book. If you stay long enough you will be rewarded with a sunset!!! We did not eat, however we did look at what people were eating and I must say that it did not look great. Chips (from frozen) with this...chips with that...not like the Whitstable Oyster Company further along (but then neither are the prices). So as far as food is concerned, I would keep your expectations low...I am sure we will hear if I am wrong.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northants
“Please go anywhere else in Whitstable - Over priced,below average food. Terrible service and they ignore you at the bar”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We visited at lunchtime during the Whitstable Oyster Festival and there is nothing about this place that I can say is remotely good other than the location. That is the one good thing about it, so in the interest of fairness I will say that the location is great, right on the shore and overlooking the water. There are a number of rather tired picnic benches outside and that is where we sat. That's it for good news so here is the bad. Take a comfy seat. there's plenty.
1) BAR - Service was terrible- OK so it was a little busy, (but nowhere near rammed full) but people were obviously walking straight to the bar and getting served immediately whilst others(including myself) were standing at the bar for several minutes waiting to get served getting more and more frustrated. This was so obviously nothing to do with being busy but a deliberate game of some sort. I left in utter frustration and my wife went to the bar instead and, suprise suprise, she was served immediately whilst the man standing next to her blew HIS top because he had been ignored for several minutes. The people on the table next to us had been ignored until someone different went to the bar too...so our experience was not a one off
2) FOOD SERVICE - Worse than the bar. Our food order was number 16. As we sat at our table outside order number 10 was brought out. It then took nearly an hour for them to serve to number 16. So that is an hour to fulfil 6 orders...and some of those were only sandwiches.
3) FOOD QUALITY - Our order was for 4 Fish and Chips and one Whitebait.. Everyones fish was rather small and looked like the tail of the fish so it was quite boney. Chips were straight from the freezer bag. No chance of any thing home prepared here. This might be acceptable in a transport cafe but this place wants £10 for it's fish and chips. There are so many really great places to eat in Whitstable at equivalent prices that we wrongly assumed this place would be OK too. WHEN YOU ARE IN WHITSTABLE PLEASE GO ANYWHERE OTHER THAN HERE.

• Visited July 2011