“Lovely place - shame about the road.” 4 of 5 stars

William Caxton
end of Tenterden High Street | West Cross, Tenterden TN30 6JR, England   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Tenterden B&B and Inns
Berkshire
“Lovely place - shame about the road.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed for three nights in a very comfortable room. It was spotless when we arrived & the bathroom was lovely - if small. The food was very good - both breakfast & evening meals.
Debbie should be congratulated for her efforts.
The minus is the road noise. We were in the front & it really was so very noisy - being on a crossroads & traffic lights didn't help. Putting in secondary double glazing certainly would help & a fan in the ceiling would then help with the heat. Our room wasn't serviced while we were there, & we felt that the staircase was quite dangerous. However overall it is a lovely place to stay & good value.

Room Tip: There is one room at the back.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed at the William Caxton for a night in August, the welcome upon arrival was very good and the room outstanding. The room was very clean & tidy with a very comfortable bed and a fantastic bathroom. Although we did not eat in the pub the food brought out for others looked very nice and appetising, would definately return to try the food. Very welcoming place would return without question. Thanks

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Prestatyn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed for 4 days at the begining of Aug.

The attention and service given by Debbie and her staff was excellent, The bar food quality and quantity were unbelievable and well priced, the incl b/fast was of the same standard all cooked fresh and to order.
We stayed in the smallest room available and although it had all the facilities including a comfortable bed and clean / bright decor, 4 days was about the max time we would have spent in there solely because of size and very limited shelving, there was a long wardrope with 1 high selve. (living out of a suit case).The 2 other rooms are larger but I believe cost more.

Unfortunatley now the negative points.
Road noise for the 2 front facing rooms is terrible and you have to contend with a set of traffic lights outside. On weekdays 2300 - 0400 , Sat 2300 - 0600 are the quiet periods. Closing the window will reduce it some but in doing so the room became very clamy and this would wake you up.
Over the 4 days the towels were not changed and the room not cleaned, what little specs ect that we left on the floor were still there.
The b/fast tables each morning although cleared of dishes ect , were not cleaned off as a matter of course.
As others have noted, parking can be a bit of a problem, I parked outside the Indian Rest and had no problems also parking bays opposite available restrictions apply 1hr 0800 -1800.
I feel that access to the rooms would be unfavourable for persons with walking difficulties due to design of stairs

I am sure that the points that can be addressed will be and as long as you take a set of ear plugs with you, you will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Rear room has no traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

The rooms was ok apart from the fact that we was right next to the main road and their is no double glazing! My wife really could not sleep at all. The parking is ridiculous as when we turned up we had no where to park so we left our car over the road and it got vandalised some how. (the landlady said they have a going dispute with the indian that is across the road, which is where i parked and no one told me?) Breakfast was no better as we came down at 8 o'clock and could not even get in to the bar. when the staff finally realised we where there and let us in it took a whole hour to get our food. by this time i had had enough and canceled our second night .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Debbie F, Owner at William Caxton, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
This is the 1 and only negative review we have recieved since opening at the begining of June, and I am dissapointed and concerned by comments made. I have emailed the guest directly to appologise and to get a bit more information so that I am able to rectify the issues he encountered.
The William Caxton is a traditional inn, built in 1580, and is as most traditional inns are, located on the high street. It is grade listed and therefor not possible to put in double glazing, I think even if we could I would not want to spoil the character of such a beautiful and historic building with plastic windows.
I have asked the guest to let me know what damage was caused to his car, as there was no mention made of this at all during his stay. If a car has been damaged I would need to be informed, as would the police. The incident with the Indian restaurant was a private disbute between them and a third party and nothing to do with the William Caxton or our team. There is 1 allocated space per room on the front of pub, and parking is relatively easy here in a town where parking is notoriously difficult.
With regards to breakfast I have again asked for more information, we record time of orders and I have no record of breakfast taking an hour, if indeeed it did that would be totally unaccceptable and I would deal with that training issue accordingly. I hope that this guest will respond to my request for more information so that I can deal with his complaint accordingly, and in future raise this kind of issue at the time so that nessesery action can be taken. This being the only negative review we have recieved I am extreamly anxious that I am given the opportunity to address his concerns.
Longfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We have just stayed in a beautiful old pub at the end of the high street. Our Premier Double En Suite room was very clean, comfortable and suitably furnished. The bathroom with underfloor heating, was very luxurious with both jacuzzi bath and separate shower! Our host, Debbie, was very welcoming and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was delicious, freshly cooked and with some locally sourced ingredients. The sausages and bacon were gorgeous! Food in the bar was equally as delicious with a good selection of reasonably priced choices from sandwiches to hot food, and daily specials. The portions were larger than average and well presented. All in all we had a delightful stay with wonderful food and great hospitality. We will be visiting again!

Room Tip: There are three letting rooms in this pub
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to William Caxton? Share your experiences!