“Not good enough” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 37 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: Seafood, Oyster Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: New head Chef Ricky Smith arrived in April 2014 and our menu has completely altered to incorporate fresh fish, meat & seafood most of which is locally sourced from local suppliers. Enjoy first class food overlooking the River Stour or in our flower filled courtyard. Families welcome, private hire available.
“Not good enough”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

When you picture a ploughman's lunch you don't think of a foot long pale baguette with a block of cheese and a few soggy leaves. But that's what you'll get. Go to the Bell Hotel across the road for a much nicer Sandwich sandwich.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Such a shame because this is in a brilliant location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I went on a Saturday night at 8.30. We were shown to a big table upstairs (overlooking the river) which the waitress let us have as we were the last booking of the evening.

To start with my husband had the bread basket. This probably consisted of a whole banguette (which was generous) and a small portion of oil and balsamic vinegar. He felt that there should have been different varities of bread and more oil/vinegar. All in all it was a bit inelegantly served.

For mains he had the ocean pie and I had the prawn curry. The ocean pie looked anaemic and would have benefited from a few minutes under the grill. Perhaps it had just been put in the microwave? The vegetables that accompanied it looked okay. The menu stated that the prawn curry was in tomato sauce so I was surprised to find that it was also creamy. That being said, it tasted nice and the prawns were good. But the rice was suspiciously like boil in the bag and the other accompaniments were below par. I have to say that the actual curry was considerably better than the one that I had in an Indian restaurant the night before.

My husband had lemon tart for dessert. It was a generous portion but definitely shop bought. It tasted just like one I buy from the supermarket. It was supposed to come with creme fraiche but it wasn't like any creme fraiche that I have ever seen, it was watered down white slop.

During the meal I asked for a glass of tap water. This was again very was inelegantly served. Eariler in the day at a local coffee shop, they bought us iced water unprompted - what a contrast!

The restaurant wasn't busy (perhaps there were six other tables when we arrived) so we were finished in an hour and a half maximum. As the restaurant emptied out the waitress started re-laying the tables, this one of my pet hates.

We paid about £45 for our meal which included coffees, a fruit juice for me and a couple of alcoholic drinks for my husband.

It is such a shame that this restaurant doesn't hit the mark. It could be great and, purely for the location, I would consider going there again. Fisherman's Wharf - even the name sounds romantic. My advice to the owners would be: trim down your menu considerably and concentrate on serving fish dishes sourced locally, supplemented by a few meat dishes and vegetarian options. Cook food to order rather than just reheat, don't rely so heavily on the microwave.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Right by the river”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Small restaurant with outside seating which was full so we sat inside. Lovely food, good if you like fish very good choice. The chicken liver pâté was fantastic and lots of it. Friendly waitress good service excellent food.

Visited September 2013
“Great with kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely early evening meal here. Staff were friendly and we sat outside.
Great selection on food on the menu and a great value kids menu.
The kids were made to feel very welcome and the other customers didn't mind that they may have been a bit excited.
All in all a great experience had and we will be back.
Well done

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Should have read the reviews...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Attracted in by this picturesque building on the riverfront and feeling really hungry at lunchtime, we didn't look any further, but wish we had.

How can they get a Ploughman's wrong? A couple of small bits of cheddar roughly broken on to the plate accompanied by one pickled onion, a spoonful of Branston, a piece of lettuce, three minute slivers of onion and a warm baguette with three individual butters. It must have cost all of £1.20 to put together at most. A ploughman would have thrown it back in disgust.

The crab sandwich was cheap sliced bread filled with a brown crabmeat which looked more like paste and cut in half - not even cut into four with some cress on the top! Oh there were a few nachos.

Such a shame - the location and the building is attractive. Don't be fooled by it's exterior appeal as we were. Go somewhere else.

• Visited August 2013