“Lovely B&B, charming location and a real country home feel - A*” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
White Rose Lodge
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   88 St George's Rd, Sandwich CT13 9LE, England   |
Hertford, UK
“Lovely B&B, charming location and a real country home feel - A*”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

White Rose Lodge is a charming and large house with every convenience one would expect from a country home. On entering the house, I was invited to sit in the large conservatory where I was brought tea and chatted to Gill, the owner. The bedroom was large and came complete with fresh milk and water. The personal touches were very nice, with the towels folded in the shapes of elephants - which was a nice change. the elephants even had little chocolates for eyes!!
The bathroom was modernly decorated, again with the little extras one always hopes to find in a large hotel chain, but never do (of course, this being a B&B, those little extra touches make the house feel that much more like a holiday get-away)

The breakfast was fantastically done. There was a large selection of healthy, yet enjoyable breakfasts which was served in the conservatory with a lovely view of the garden. The breakfast choices are given on a sheet which you need to leave out for Gill the night before. I quite liked this system as it allows Gill to know what to prepare and when to prepare it.

The surrounding area is lovely and quiet, the house has adequate parking facilities, a large garden and a very charming and playful dog (which was kept outside or locked away during breakfast)

White rose lodge was a charming and peaceful place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a weekend break!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My husband and I spent two nights at the B&B whilst visiting family in Broadstairs on our way back from Brittany where we had spent a small fortune on a cottage for a week. By the end of our first night at the White Lodge we were in the frame of mind that we could happily have spent the week there instead! Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable with fluffy towels and equally fluffy bathrobes. We felt spoilt as we have stayed in a lot of hotels, paid higher prices and never have fluffy bathrobes included in the price! True, there is a review on trip adviser that the family have a dog but he is a lovely gentle dog, not in the least bit threatening at all. In fact my husband is allergic to dogs and this would not put him off staying at the White lodge as long as he has taken some anti-histamines.

The shower room is not en-suite but it is so spacious. Again we have stayed in a lot of B&b's and hotels where the en-suite isn't big enough to swing a cat so having a spacious shower room that was pleasing to spend time in was refreshing and you can always use the fluffy bathrobe to preserve your dignity!

It is a great spot for a relaxing getaway as Sandwich is a beautiful medieval town within walking distance of the b&b as to is the beach. It is also only around a twenty minute drive or a short train journey to Broadstairs.

The breakfast was delicious, local produce, very tasty. Gillian cooks the food fresh so you may have a little wait if you are just looking for a cooked breakfast but it is worth the wait.

Overall we had a lovely stay at the White lodge and would not hesitate to recommend it to others. Gillian and her husband were very welcoming and helpful. We spotted a mirror in a shop window whilst browsing around Sandwich on the Sunday morning and although the shop was closed Gillian phoned the owner and asked her to hold it for us so that we could be reassured that the mirror would not be sold before we managed to get to the shop the next day. Thank you,

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Worcester, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

All of the previous reviews have given White Rose Lodge glowing feedback, as does the Visitors Book that Gill has by the front door. And I agree that the house is lovely. It is in a quiet residential location but with easy access to the surrounding area. My bedroom was large, with a sofa, dressing table, TV and Sky satellite box. The bed was extremely comfortable. However, I did have some issues with my stay. If you are a prospective customer and these issues won't bother you, I'm sure you will have a very enjoyable stay. My comments are just to put the other side of the story.

The decor really is a little old-fashioned.... very floral and "chintzy". The milk jug in my room had a little lace doilly over the top with plastic beads attached..... I haven't seen those for years. Quaint yes, and I guess practical, but a little dated. I'd specifically asked for an en-suite room when booking so was disappointed to find that my bathroom was across the corridor. It wasn't shared with anyone else but wasn't what I asked for and is not what I consider to be a "private bathroom" as described on the website. Guests are required to write down on a sheet what they would like for breakfast the followng morning. I quite object to this as I don't know the night before how hungry I'm likely to be the following day! In fact, Gill doesn't start cooking until you are down for breakfast anyway so I'm not really sure the purpose of this. Despite writing down what I wanted and the time I would like breakfast, I only had a glass of orange juice for the first 10 minutes or so.

Regarding breakfast, Gill had run out of wholemeal bread on Day 1 and had run out of baked beans on Day 2. My beans were substituted for a 3rd sausage without asking me and without giving me a choice of an alternative. Although I stated that I wanted breakfast at 7:30am it was actually 7:50am before I weas served my cooked breakfast. My poached egg on Day 1 was underdone (runny egg white) and my fried egg on Day 2 was overdone (bottom of egg very crispy). However, my biggest complaint about breakfast was the overwhelming smell of the owner's dog in the conservatory breakfast room. A couple of times during breakfast I almost left the room because of the smell (I am not exaggerating). Clearly, the owner is not aware of this as she's got used to it. However, as somebody who does not have pets, it really was objectionable and I would not stay again solely for this reason (apart from the other issues mentioned here). If a B&B owner has a pet and it is allowed into areas of the property used by guests, this fact should be made known at the time of booking.

Perhaps my experiences were a one-off but I was disappointed with my stay and do not consider it to be four-star Silver standard.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

Gill was the perfect hostess, such a lovely and friendly lady, with a delightful welcoming dog, Hugo. The room was cosy and clean, comfortable, and Gill was very accomodating. She catered to our needs perfectly and cooked us a delicious vegetarian breakfast. We took advantage of her salon (which she also runs in the comfort of her home) and had some treatment done, she even pierced my ears! They are healing fine with no problems! She was amazing, very calming and patient (I was very nervous!) Thank you Gill! Looking forward to staying again. Give Hugo a hug from us :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

I took my 85 year old mum as a surprise and prebooked a facial for her and other treatments for myself.The property is close to the station and the centre of Sandwich yet is very quiet.
The rooms are decorated to a high standard,breakfast is lovely -yogurt is homemade ,orange juice freshly squeezed.Gill is a very warm and friendly person.I would recommend this to anyone wishing to stay in Kent.Other people thinking of running a B+B or who already do so should visit here to see how it should be done!

• Stayed September 2009
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

Went there for a few days with family. The food was very nice and the beach is only a short walk away from the hotel with a great view from the restaurant

• Stayed March 2006
Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

Thank you to Gill and Ian for making our stay so comfortable, welcoming and complete.
We really felt like a part of the family and will endevour to keep in touch.
We were in Kent for a Family wedding and Gill was good enough to organise for the girls hairdressing, make up etc, a fantastic job.
We would heartfully recommend this B&B to anyone.
Hugo was also a big hit, the friendly pet GSD.

Mark & Clare Hobbs, Cambridgeshire.

• Liked — Very friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing...
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to White Rose Lodge? Share your experiences!