“Great Hotel,” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Essex
“Great Hotel,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel overnight as we were attending our friends 25th anniversary. Brilliant location, near to both Rainham station and the venue. The young girl in reception was an absolute joy, and nothing was too much trouble. The room was very clean and spacious and the bed, as promised on the adverts, was very comfortable. The breakfast too was great. Plenty of choice and eat as much as you wanted. The cooked breakfast was hot and served directly from the chef, so wasn't laying around as it is in many hotels we have visited. The only criticism I would say is the hotel doesn't have a lift and for the less able bodied it could be a problem. Well done to Premier Inn and a special mention to the lovely lady on the front desk.

Room Tip: ask for 1st floor if stairs are a problem to you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was recently my misfortune to stay at a Premier Inn, and it will be my last. I sent the following letter to their wonderfully named "Head of Quality and Guest Insight" but clearly he has not got much of either as I am still waiting for a reply.

Dear Sir,

You have sent me a survey regarding a recent stay by my wife and myself at one of your hotels, but I have not responded to it because it states in the covering email that it is respect of the Gillingham/Rainham hotel, which is not the one we stayed at. Not that this comes as great surprise to me, because clearly your company do not have a clue about where your hotels are located.

When we booked I was somewhat confused because the map that you provided clearly indicates the hotel located at the bottom of Will Adams way, but the accompanying directions are to the hotel which you call Rainham and this is located at the bottom of Maidstone Road, Rainham.

We live in Lancashire and after a 270 mile, 5 hour journey we went to the Gillingham/Rainham hotel and were not amused to be told that we were actually booked in at the Rainham hotel, so we had to get back into our car and go to the other hotel. We were even more annoyed at this stupidity when the receptionist at the Gillingham/Rainham hotel tried to convince me that her hotel was in Rainham High Street. I was born and bred in Rainham so I knew she was talking absolute rubbish. When we finally got to the Rainham hotel the Irish receptionist there greeted us with a rather blunt “name?”, and when I pointed out that the directions were wrong, he said that he and many others had already written to your headquarters with no response.

Two years ago we stayed at your Rochester hotel, and after the appalling service we received there, we vowed we would not stay in a Premier hotel ever again. If there had been a vacancy with one of your rivals we would have stayed there on this occasion.

I strongly recommend that you or one of your staff get out of your ivory tower and get down to Rainham and see where these hotels are actually located - and then make sure your website reflects the locations accurately.

I have not wasted my time filling in your survey form, as I have wasted enough time and energy finding your hotels. As for using your services again, you have got to be joking.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Gillingham/Rainham, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Many thanks for your review. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We are very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced trying to locate our hotel. I have passed your information on to our Marketing and Web Development team and have requested this be looked into. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Thank you once again for your review.
yorkshire lass
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Came down from S. Yorkshire for a family christening, arrived too early to check in, so asked if we could park up while we went to see our family. The girl on reception( Rani) was so helpful and so pleasant she said it was no trouble at all and gave us a ticket to put in the car. When we arrived back to check in, she was still there and asked if there was anything we needed, e.g iron and ironingboard, I said I was not sure so she said I will get you one anyway, then it's there if you need it. Found all the people on reception to be very friendly (even if they did take the mick out of our accent!) and nothing was too much trouble. We also found breakfast to be excellent with plenty of choice. If anyone went hungry, then they only have themselves to blame. Also the staff in the breakfast area where very good at getting anything that had run out. Just wish you could get a newspaper but was told that they had tried to get them from a local newsagent but they were not interested, but this would not stop us from staying there again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel overnight whilst visiting friends in Rainham. Brilliant location and easy to find. Everything we have come to expect from Premier Inn, lovely clean rooms, friendly staff and the breakfast in the morning was brilliant. From the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble, the gentleman on reception produced crayons and colouring sheets for the kids and later on found us a spare mug and some more tea bags. The restaurant next door was clean and welcoming for breakfast, little touches like taking the children's orders first were much appreciated and meant that we could all enjoy breakfast in a relaxed atmosphere. Will definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed at the premier Inn for three nights and was very happy with my stay. The staff were friendly and very helpful, the room was clean and comfortable.I would stay there again ,it was close to the train station so very convenient.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I found the hotel staff to be very friendly and courteous. The hotel was clean and the rooms were spacious and comfortable.

I did, however, find the food (dinner, not breakfast) in the attached "Beefeater" restaurant to be disappointing. I had the chargrilled chicken, vegetables and linguine pasta. The vegetables were unidentifiable by both sight and taste, the sauce for the pasta was watery and the chicken was a little on the tough side.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com

Douglas, null, Isle Of Man
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I arrived at this hotel at 2110 on foot, tired and hungry after a long journe. I was pleased to be told on check-in that the attached Beefeater restaurant served meals until 2200. I quickly stashed my luggage in my room, went around to the restaurant, and was seated by the staff in the bar area, given a menu, and asked to order at the bar. After choosing my food, I attempted to order. I was then met with the news that the restaurant was closing early because the staff had been in a meeting to discuss a new menu that had been introduced. I was dismayed! I was basically turfed back onto the street to find an eating place, and eventually found an Indian Restaurant half a mile or so back down the A2 towards Rainham, and finally got my evening meal.

The hotel itself was fine, the room clean, comfortable and a good size. Other than the problem with the restaurant the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was OK, but the full english had palid, just cooked sausages on the first day, and on the second, over done, leathery scrambled eggs.

Unfortunately, I have to rate this hotel poor on the experience I actually had. On another day, it would probably be higher.

Room Tip: There aren't any lifts, so ask for a ground floor room if that will be an issue for you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Premier Inn Gillingham/Rainham? Share your experiences!