“Lovely Hotel. Receptionist is Lovely :)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Smiths Court Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Smiths Court Hotel to your Saves list
Smiths Court Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21-27 Eastern Esplanade | Cliftonville, Margate CT9 2HL, England   |
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel. Receptionist is Lovely :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Stayed here Twice and loved it. Got on well with Staff. Food is lovely.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I stayed at Smiths court for one night as part of a long weekend in Kent with my husband. He had to return to London to work on the Sunday so I only needed a single room for that night. Was very encouraged by the exterior and the reception area was pleasant. Staff were very nice and we had a lovely meal in their Orangery restaurant which is a beautiful room.

My bedroom, however, was so shabby and tired. I half expected a small room but the tiny single bed was on its last legs and the bedding looked very well used (although it and the towels were clean) - the bathroom was depressing - visible pipes, institutional looking floor and wall tiles, brown suite and cheap and nasty shower with mouldy grout. I felt a bit nauseous whenever I went in there.

There were cobwebs on the ceiling (which admittedly is so very high it must be hard to clean), marks on the wall, the kettle was dirty, the hairdryer didn't work and the tv remote control had thick silver tape holding the batteries in place. TV reception is very bad in the rooms but fine in reception so they must come from a different aerial. I spent the evening sitting in reception with my book, but there was a coach party in and they were making a lot of noise, so I retreated to my room at 9pm.

I could hear the guest in the next room snoring away and felt a little guilty when I got up at 6am and started bumping about getting ready. I fled at 7am, rejecting breakfast just so I could get out quicker!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Although the furniture is fairly old and some could be described as shabby, the staff were friendly, cheerful and helpful (with one exception). The bed, though small, was comfortable and our room was kept neat and clean. The Orangery is lovely and breakfasts were fine, but the one evening meal we had there was disappointing and pricey. Unfortunately there are few eateries in Cliftonville, apart from a great Thai restaurant off of Northdown Road, so we had to go into the town itself for our evening meals. Being about 2 miles from the centre of Margate, and not having a car, this meant a ride on the (luckily) frequent buses. The area behind the hotel is poor and deprived. Which is what you could say about Margate itself - depressing, with a lot of boarded up shops, cafes and restaurants. A shame. However there are new builds nearby which will hopefully improve the area in time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Before we booked, we read the reviews (positive and negative). We didn't go away to look at wallpaper, and paint. We did, however, go away for a relaxing weekend. This is exactly what we had. And it was all due to the staff at Smiths Court. Both nights that we were there they had weddings booked. These functions obviously kept them very busy. Not just in the evening, but throughout the day with preparation. We were treated as though we were just as important as the big spenders in the house. We were dealt with whenever we wanted attention, and always with a smile and courtesy. (After working in hotels for 15 years I would expect nothing less)(I know what goes on behind the scenes). All the staff were friendly and approachable. However, we did read that there was Satelite TV in the rooms. This is not the case in room 5c.(ONLY FOUR CHANNELS) Lucky for us the view was ok.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We've just returned from 2 nights at the Smiths Court, where we also stayed in July 2009 (review posted at that time). This hotel remains in a bit of a time warp, and would benefit from a makeover. I'm sure the Orangery Room is lovely, but the rest is banged walls and plastic clock radios. The appearance of extra toilet roll at the end of my bed was appreciated but not needed. The hotel is clean and they work hard to offer a good level of service and work well given the lack of investment in the place. Good luck!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Colchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I booked in advance + advised the hotel I was disabled and asked about the possibility of a car park space being reserved. Nothing heard from them.
Arrived and parked on seafront opposite. The steps leading to the entrance were tiled, steep with an awkwardly low handrail. In the rain, these would be a nightmare. On arrival at reception, I asked the lady where the car park was, explaining I was disabled and had found the front steps difficult and would not be able to manage my luggage. She told me it was through the door "there" waving her hand vaguely behind her. From my viewpoint, I could see several doors and caverns... She did ask a young man to unload my luggage, which he did, taking it to my room. After settling in, I went down to reception to book an evening meal and also once again enquire as to the location of the car park. I was told rather bluntly that my car was perfectly safe where it was. I explained again that my concern was access as the steps were difficult for me and I was hoping that the access from the car park would be easier. She appeared indifferent telling me to walk up the side road to find it, which I did. I then moved my car into the car park, which turned out not only to have specially designated disabled bays but also a ramp up to the rear door. Why couldn't she have made this clear??

The room was located via a series of dark, narrow corridors with confusing signage and was rather small, but ok.

The evening meal in the Orangery was fine, apart from the extremely loud group of what looked and sounded like former dockers at the back. I was forced to use my MP3 to drown them out, a group of 4 elderly people asked to be moved further away from them but even their new table was still well within earshot. Another couple at the next table exchanged looks with me and we commented on the "dockers" in the lounge afterwards! Perhaps a quiet - no make that a loud - word with them by the staff may have helped.

The lounge where breakfast was served was a rather shabby area, particulary the state of the chairs. The first time I pulled the chair out to sit, I brushed the cushion as it seemed covered in bits but these turned out to be old stains and marks worn into the seat. The window looked like somebody had thrown an egg at it from the outside. This was still there the next day (2 day stay), however the waitress was very pleasant and helpful, offering to carry my cereal and juice to my table. Shame she doesn't have a twin working in reception.

Overall, the experience was ok but the hotel in general looks tired and needs freshening up. As could the receptionist! On settling up at departure, she sorted my bill but did not manage a "good bye" or even enquire as to whether I had enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Wonderful weekend, they couldn't have done more for us. Service was excellent and food was superb. Location was good, the further into Cliftonville you go the better it gets. Would visit again!

• Stayed May 2010

Been to Smiths Court Hotel? Share your experiences!