“Superb!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Walpole Bay Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Margate
Walpole Bay Hotel
You added Walpole Bay Hotel to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fifth Avenue, Margate CT9 2JJ , England   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ramsgate
“Superb!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

I had the pleasure of staying at the Walpole for a night and from the very first moment i phoned up i was treated with respect and warmth, staff and proprietors alike bent over backwards to accomadate my every whim. The hotel is superb, very different to the standard hotel and there is something new to notice at every turn. The room couldnt have been nicer and the food was fantastic. I would highly recomend the Walpole to anyone you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

i am very fond of the Walpole and have stayed 3 times now, but I do think they need to up their game a bit, all the charm in the world doesn't make up for un hoovered carpets in the reception areas and un-wiped tables.
You don't go to the Walpole for corporate blandness but you do expect some basic standards to be met.
It is the little touches and feeling of a bygone era which bring people back to the Walpole, like the little engraved tea services which you can imagine generations of holiday makers enjoying. To find on our second morning that breakfast tea was being served in a canteen sized stainless steel pot kept on a hotplate was a disappointment, and not what we would expect from the Walpole.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

if you enjoy the monochromatic experience of a chain hotel, or if a good hotel stay for you is a forgettable one, this is not the place for you. the walpole bay has remained largely unchanged for decades, keeping its old-fashioned curiosity from big plush armchairs weathered from being out on the veranda, to an assortment of still lives clustered on surfaces around the place displaying relics of a time in british holidaymaking that is sadly soon to be forgotten. it is clean, the staff are gregarious and personable, and the general quirkiness of the decor is vaguely reminiscent of a noel coward theatre set. the hotel is dog friendly, and we were treated extremely well as was our elderly beast.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
south east england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Stayed here several nights. 1st bedroom had horsehair mattress I refused to sleep on (one never knows what is in it!) so moved to another room. Draughty windows, poor paint, holes in the blankets, no remote for the TV, no biscuits. Beds were only reasonable to sleep on and clearly old box spring types. The bathroom could not be ventilated as the windows was jammed up and no fan extractor. The flush on the toilet broke so I had to fix that!. Food was very good and quite hot. Fire doors were wedged open, strictly against regulations, clutter on the passage ways. Our bathroom was not vacuumed once over 5 days. Mrs Bishop exudes something but I do not know what, Staff very friendly however. Would I go back? not till its all been cleaned and a bit of paint applied. Perhaps Antiques Road show may be interested in some of the rubbish to be seen.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
kent england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We were booked in for one night only, arrived back at 1.30am on a Saturday night (Sunday morning) starving and thirsty. The manager served us food and cups of tea on the veradah without batting an eyelid. After a blissful nights sleep we woke up to amazing views from our balcony and a wonderful breakfast served by the friendliest staff we have ever come accross in this country. We would highly recommend this establishment to all.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

I have just returned from an overnight stay at the Walpole Bay Hotel and I have mixed feelings but the overall impression was that I left the hotel feeling disappointed.

This hotel is a gem of a place. The owner, Jane Bishop, enthuses charm, hospitality and a real warmth. The building looks lovely and inviting.

So, if it is such a gem, why did I leave disappointed? Well, I wonder if the owners are missing a trick? My room (a superior double: £100 incl breakfast) had a lounge area, a bedroom and a clean bathroom. There were two windows and a small balcony from which you could enjoy the wonderful sea views. However, it didn't fill me with timeless elegance - the curtains (unlined) were too short for the windows and the bay window curtains did not close properly. The lamp on the desk could not be plugged-in as there was no socket close by and there was little to watch on the television other than a very snowy picture.

The bathroom had a holder on the wall for the shower head but the shower hose was too short to reach the holder. The bathroom itself had carpet which is, let us say, unusual even when the look is timeless elegance. There was wallpaper hanging off the wall and the windows needed a good clean. One can appreciate that the aim is to take you back in time but I left feeling disappointed that the owners can not see the accommodation is not timeless elegance but tired and worn out.

I enjoyed a cream tea on the outside terrace which I heartily recommend. However, three ladies next to me, who ordered their three teas just after my order was taken, were still sitting waiting to be served after I had finished a leisurely afternoon tea.

Mrs Bishop, the owner, is the star of the show. I think without her the reviews on here would not be as glowing. While I found all of the staff to be helpful and polite (although no one turned up to look at my tv) none of the staff, other than Mrs Bishop, enter into the bygone era with only Mrs Bishop making an effort to dress up to maintain an image.

Yes, this is a family run hotel, but it could be so much better without huge resources or much more effort. I so much wanted to tell people that they should go and experience Walpole but hand on heart I can not recommend the accommodation but can recommend the food and Mrs Bishop's glowing hospitality.

I can only conclude that the Walpole Bay Hotel is a gem thay will be rediscovered in time and once the owners get round to getting on track I'm sure they'll help the hotel to rediscover itself.

• Stayed August 2009
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We were looking for a place to hold my Father-In-Law's surprise 80th Birthday Party, and came across The Walpole Bay Hotel in February, and had an excellent Sunday lunch, allowing us to have a look around the Hotel at that time. We secured a number of Rooms for the Family and friends to join us. The family run Hotel was very accommodating for our needs. We had a sumptuous buffet for the party itself in their Ballroom, the food, service and staff were Excellent throughout. From planning the event, to the actual surprise itself. It wasn't until after our first visit, that we then discovered that the weekend coincided with Margate's 'Big Event'. Of course, there is a fun fair, but the great major attraction was also the Air Show. The Hotel was perfectly positioned for the whole event, so most of the family stayed the entire weekend. Our Family and friends have all been in communication since, and all agree, the Hotel and its Team were perfect for us, and we will all be back! The Museum pieces within the Hotel are an excellent side attraction as well.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Walpole Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!