““A wonderful escape”” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Hythe B&B and Inns
St. Albans, United Kingdom
““A wonderful escape””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed here only one night on 29 July. I don't want to talking to much about this experience but I can't remark the friendly staff , the clean room and lovely food.
Free parking and an easy 10 minute walk to the beach.( the hotel is very close to the town centre). Like a minus,( because we are week up very early) is the breakfast service time -8.30am.
Thank you to all Red Lion staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bucks, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed here with friends whilst visiting the Open Golf at Sandwich. The pub has a very good bar and restaurant and the rooms are very clean and reasonably priced. The landlady was very friendly and was happy to provide breakfast at 7am on the day we went to the 'Open'. The breakfasts were excellent and the evening meal was of a very high standard for around £25 per head (2-3 courses) including wine.

One tip. Do NOT be put off by the reception area which is dreadful - the rest of the pub is much nicer.

The rooms could do with flat screen TV's and freeview but the bed was comfortable and everywhere was very clean.

Room Tip: If you sleep at the front of the pub be aware that the main road is noisey but this didn't bothe...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Southwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

My friend and I had booked this room for our friends wedding at Lympne Castle. Once we found it (using a sat nav that sent us the wrong way and we had to phone the hotel for directions !!) we parked up and took our stuff in. The staff were very friendly at all times and we had a lovely breakfast the next morning. Beds were very comfy. The only issue that I had was not being able to work the shower properly, but hey, I'm sure cold showers are good for you, Honest !! I would recommend this hotel for short stays and visiting other places.

Room Tip: Some rooms will be noisier than others
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Booked in here for a wedding. Had reserved (and had confirmed) a room on the back (room no. 2) as we'd clocked it was on a main road and wanted to avoid the noise. When we arrived we rang the bell at the reception (disgusting grimy carpet - just vile, hadn't been cleaned ever, I should think). After 10 minutes of waiting for someone to come out of the kitchen, my boyfriend was forced to go looking for someone to check us in. The cook came out (Like Fawlty Towers) and told us, only room 1 was available. Room 1 was on the front, cramped, had a tiny bed and cobwebs adorning the lights. The noise and cramped nature of the bed meant it we got about 5 hours sleep that night.

On the upside: the manager realised she was in the wrong (she'd used the bigger, quieter room to house a family) and, without us asking, knocked £20 off the £75 bill when we checked out the next day. The full English breakfast (included in our £55 bill) was excellent and although the room was a little shabby (yes there were pretty cushions on the bed, but the curtains were falling off the rail and the carpet felt like it wasn't the cleanest) the bathroom was spotless.

Would I go there again? Given the choice in Hythe, if I were pushed, I would stay for a night. No more than that, though...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sussex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I booked this on the basis that it had wifi access and could do a reasonably early breakfast (07.30) as this was a business trip. When I arrived I was seen by the chef(!) who looked about 17 and hadn't got a clue about the wifi - apparently it wasn't supposed to be advertised on the website as was an unsecured network. The owners were nowhere to be seen as we looked at the network hub & tried to figure out WEP Keys etc. In the end nothing worked and I could not pick up some vital emails. Room was OK but not exceptional given price (£75). In the morning I went to get my breakfast only to be told by the asme youth that the earliest time had changed to 08.30 (time of my meeting with my Client!) - this wasn't mentioned the previous evening so I checked out minus both of the things that I wanted. As you can imagine I left the same feedback on their Visitor book as on this website - a total waste of money from people who do not deserve to stay in this line of business - avoid, avoid, avoid!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Shropshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

This was a chance find, as we arrived in Hythe. But seeing the room, we were most impressed - and with the value offered and the real friendliness of the staff, we booked not just one but two nights to juse the hotel as our base. The restaurant part of the pub has a good-choice menu, and the quality of the food is A1 as well. I suspect the road at the front of the hotel may be a little busy, but certainly the room we had at the back was peaceful, and the comfortable bed meant a relaxing night's sleep. The only downside I can think of mentioning is that the hotel reception is small and a little shabby - but don't let that put you off, as the rest of the place was a real find. Central position for the town and surrounding countryside - and a decent-sized free car park.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
West Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

My wife and i stayed at the Red Lion on the strength of some of the earlier reviews. It was easy to find and parking adequate. The 'hotel entrance' at the rear is not particularly attractive but having arrived at the very small reception we were met by the first of many very helpful staff. The stairs and corridor leading to the room are rather gloomy, but our room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was roomy and very clean with fresh towels each day and quality soap, shampoo etc. Although our room was at the front of the hotel, the main road outside is not busy during the night. We ate in one evening; the food was good quality and the service very good and friendly. Drinks are slighty over-priced. Breakfast was partially DIY with limited choice and the slowest toaster ever invented! There is no hot breakfast menu and no choice was offered although they would seem cook whetever was requested.
We had a pleasant stay and this was a good base for local touring but no quite up to the standard we had expected from other reviews.
Hythe is quite a pleasant little town with a wide variety of restaurants of all cuisines. If you eat out, try The King's Head in the High Street. A realy lovely town pub (Shepherd Neame) with excellent value food served by young enthusiastic staff in cosy log fire surrounding- highly recoomended!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Red Lion? Share your experiences!