“A very special place - highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

The Astor Wing, Hever Castle, Hever TN8 7NG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hever B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“A very special place - highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was fortunate enough to stay at Hever Castle Bed and Breakfast for 4 nights last month as part of the Anne Boleyn Experience organized through the Anne Boleyn Files. I just loved my stay at the B&B. My room was absolutely beautiful, very spacious and spotlessly clean. The bed was so very comfortable - i would easily say the most comfortable of my whole holiday. I arrived at the B&B directly after travelling for 30 hours from Australia and they had my room ready and greeted me with a very warm "we have been expecting you" welcome. All through our stay the staff were so very courteous and helpful and could not do enough for us to ensure we were comfortable.

We ate at the B&B for most meals and every meal was absolutely delicious. The service at the meals was impeccable. The dining and common rooms of the B&B are so interesting and beautifully decorated, you really feel that you are living in Tudor times. It was so special to be able to wander easily through the gardens of the castle and to the castle itself.

All in all my stay at Hever was a dream come true in terms of the castle and the history, but the actual B&B was so wonderful that I feel privileged that I have been able to stay there for 4 nights. I cannot recommend a stay here highly enough. I will definitely be back one day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Norwich, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Although one enters this historic estate through an automated security gate the ambience of the entire estate and the Astor Wing is one of relaxation and helpful assistance. Sadly there was no view from our suite across the beautiful parkland to the Castle itself but the arrangements for access and parking meant that we had full access to everything for the whole day and the following morning. The suite was excellent and the breakfast superb - served in a wood-panelled hall with calm and a wide choice of food. It is the first time I have ever had a kipper properly cooked (not over-cooked) with the bones removed and served with lemon. A venue to be pampered in. Good recommendation by the desk to try The Greyhound Inn nearby for dinner - an excellent meal there and a lovely welcome and service.

Room Tip: If there are suites with a view then I would take one like a shot!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Had wonderful one night luxury stay in Lord Astor's extension to the castle where Ann Boleyn spent her childhood. Staying here gives a visit to the Castle plus access to the gardens - lovely to wander when no other visitors. Beautiful room and bathroom, excellent breakfast, billiard room and library and parking in courtyard so shorter walk to Castle than from public car park. Also a superb art collection in main corridor. Worth the money for such a memorable experience.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a superior room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Astor Wing of Hever Castle was added by the Astor Family in the early 1900's and is recently opened as a gracious bed and breakfast. Guests have full use of the wing common rooms, inclulding a fire-place equipped large parlor and a billiards room. Breakfast (excellent by the way) is served in a vaulted-celinged hall. The hallways are hung with original oil paintings and water colors, and each of the currently opened 17 bedrooms is individually decorated, and plush. Bathrooms are gorgeous with new plumbing fixtures, and more original art. Staying at the castle also includes free admission to Hever Castle itself (would have cost 14 pounds). The best part is that after your breakfast and before dark in the evening, when there are no paying visitors, you have full use of the grounds to walk, read beside the lake, and feel like royalty. This was a dream of an overnight stay, and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Notts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We booked a night at Hever, not really knowing what to expect, but on arrival we were met in the car park by a member of what can only be described as a very friendy and helpful team. Our room in the Aster wing was most beautifully appointed and a good night's sleep was guaranteed by the comfort of the bed and the fact there is no road nearbye meant no noise to disturb.
We had an excellent dinner at The Henry VIII pub up the road (about 4 minutes walk) and after a wonderful breakfast the following morning we had the gardens of Hever to ourselves prior to the official opening time. Being a keen photographer this meant many shots free from unwanted folk getting in the way. The gardens and the Castle are indeed magnificent and certainly the highlight of our trips away this year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here one night in August and wished we had booked for longer. The accomodation is luxurious and opulent - it gives you the feel of what it must have been like for the Astors when they were staying there. We loved the tour of the Castle which was fascinating. The staff were so friendly and welcoming - particularly Caroline who was a delight.

For anyone who loves history, I would definitely recommend Hever Castle B&B ( I would go before everyone else discovers how lovely it is - it may be hard to get booked in!).

Room Tip: Just go! You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Waterloo, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I don’t recall how I came across this place but it was by far the best Hotel that I have even stayed in! Rented a car from Gatwick airport and then drove over to Hever. It was a little tricky as the roads are small but google maps got me there. I found the castle first but the B&B entrance wasn’t obvious. You had to go down the road a little further and then buzz a buzzer. From there they let us in. Once inside we were greeted by Chris and he took the bags. Check-in was at 3:00pm but I didn’t arrive until almost 4pm. I was given a really awesome old skeleton type key to our door. The whole place was amazing looking, lots of art work and period furniture, huge sold doors and the room was just wonderful. I’m pretty sure we had the largest room, tons of wood detaining, 4 poster bed, view of the gardens, full length mirror, giant wardrobe, TV, coffee/Tea, bottled water and a modern bathroom that featured a large soaker tub and a waterfall shower. I was just blown away. The B&B also gave us access to Hever Castle and all the grounds around and I have to say that the grounds were amazing and so peaceful. We ended up wondering around them for most of the night and all the next morning before we had to leave. There was a hedge maze, water maze, the castle itself, gardens, numerous walking trails and the lake view. Again I can’t stress how great it was and I really didn’t want to leave. Free Internet and newspapers in the music room in the morning. Breakfast was in the dining hall. They Offered Fresh squeezed juices, cereals, yogurts, pastries and fruit. From there we had a breakfast menu to choose from, I selected the full English breakfast which included eggs, toast (with Jams) and sausage but they had a fish option and another option if you didn’t want to the English breakfast.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, put in the extra money and get the best room you can. I loved it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hever Castle Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!