“A peek into famous history” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Attractions in Hever
Type: Castles, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: 2 Jan – 13 Feb 2015 Hever Castle will be CLOSED. Hever Castle is an important historic castle on the English landscape, and was once the family home of one of England’s most famous Queens – Anne Boleyn, the intriguing second wife of Henry VIII and mother of Elizabeth I. The castle is a romantic double moated 13th century castle which houses historic 16th century portraits, paintings, furniture, tapestries and treasures. Comprehensive information on the history of Hever Castle can be found in the guide book and audio tours are available from the Hever Shop, Visitor Centre or Castle Entrance. Visitors can explore the magnificent gardens for all seasons which include Italian, Rose and Tudor gardens, topiary, yew maze and splashing water maze, or take a stroll around the informal areas of Sunday Walk and Anne Boleyn’s Walk. Hever hosts a number of special events throughout the season including gardening events with the Head Gardener and his team. Family fun include Jousting Tournaments each summer and is one of our most popular events; visit our website for up to date information on events, prices and opening times.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Ontario
4 attraction reviews
“A peek into famous history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I am a Tudor history fanatic and being so, just had to visit Hever, childhood home to Anne Boleyn, second wife of Henry VIII who courted her there and visited the house many times. The gardens are lovely and the house itself although has seen some alterations feels authentic to the period and one can imagine the life and times, intrigues and troubles played out here, a must see for any history fan

Visited May 2013

• Polish first
Msida, Malta
3 attraction reviews
“A journey into the past... living a dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Simplu beautiful reconstruction and preservation both of the castle and grounds. I could literally feel Anne Boleyn walking down the corridors. Very well done to the National Heritage and all those concerned. The grounds are really spectacular. I spent almost a whole day there and could have spent much much more. Loved every second.

Edmonton, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“Worth the time and money :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Went to hever for an afternoon. I found it a bit hard to get to via train from London Victoria station (mainly because the train lady gave us bad instruction) but after a few hours we were there. I suggest taking the 1 mile walk from Hever station as it doesn't take very long (20 mins ish) it is very scenic and if you look on google maps and print a map to use when you arrive it's very easy to navigate walking the roads. The castle is very nice to see but the pride and joy is the gardens and lake. They are so beautiful, if you manage to go on a good day like i did it was just splendid.

Really worth it overall, i would make a point to go again

brighton
68 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I had visited here whist I was at school, and is the first time I had been in back in about 20 years, and is still as I remember. I went on a lovely sunny day, and had really enjoyed the house and the gardens. You get to see what life was like back in the Tudor times right up to the present day, and its great to see how the other half have lived. The only thing that made me make them down was due to the fact that the day that I went there was a wedding on, and had wanted to see the lake, and when buying the ticket they hadnt told me this and would have visited this first before they had shut it off to the public (though I wish the happy couple all the best!)

London, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We went to Hever castle yesterday, on a bright ,warm day and had a wonderful time. The house is small but beautiful,more a manor house than a castle.The grounds are superb,a real pleasure to enjoy. The Italian garden is wonderful and the walk to the large lake is reminiscent of Como or Garda .We spent a very happy day here,it is child friendly ,there were a couple of school parties there at the time we visited and it was lovely to see the children taking in the history and beauty of the place , one child of around 6-7 was heard to declare it was so beautiful he wanted to marry it !!! The Moat cafe was open and the food there was quite good ,and reasonably priced. we stopped there twice during our day as it was the only place open for refreshments ,but we found it perfectly adequate. All in all a good day out ,prices are a bit steep if you just want the gardens , the difference in price between that and the gardens and house is small so my advice is to buy the combined ticket which is better value for money I think.