“Lovely Meal !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 81 restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: English
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Country setting / beach side / country setting / beach side...We have it all.Traditional country pub in the midst of the Reculver Country park and yet within a stones throw of the sea - perfect.We are a child friendly, dog friendly and customer friendly pub aiming to provide each and every one of our customers an enjoyable visit. Whether the sun is shining and you choose to sit out on the decked area over looking the childrens play area and country park, or if the snow is settling and you choose to enjoy a hot mulled wine in front of the large log burner - we really do have something for everyone.Classic homecooked meals the likes of stew, lasagne or lambs liver & bacon can be enjoyed at reasonable costs starting from just £5.95. Not to mention our Sunday roasts - again just £5.95. But be sure to book as we are always busy.Choice of lagers, wines, spirits and soft drinks with regularly changing cask ales. We are a free trade and so the choices of ales and lagers are unrivalled.I could spend all day telling you about us but why not come along and see for yourself - a warm welcome awaits all.*child friendly*dog friendly*wheelchair access and disabled toilet*good quality home cooked food*childrens play area*log fires*sun terrace*smoking shelter with heaters and lights*parking.
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Meal !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

The Ethelbert had been somewhere where I've known about for a long time but I'd always just go for a drink but today me and my family ate in their not knowing what it was going to be like but we was all pleasantly suprised.We were a party of 15 so we didn't know how they were going to handle it.We sat down at the 2 tables which they reserved for us and the menus were there waiting.I ordered BBQ Butterfly Chicken with Chips and it tasted very nice.Succulent and Crispy outside perfect.As it is a Sunday the traditional roast was a keen favourite.They were presented with a plate of Turkey/Pork/Beef , A massive Yorkshire Pudding,Roast Potatoes and a large selection of vegetables.They all raved about it.For dessert I had White Chocolate and Raspberry Cheesecake which was good restaurant quality.Overall a very nice meal and especially for a privately owned inn.

MWing2014, Owner at The King Ethelbert Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, and thank you for taking the time to let others know. Your support means the world to us.

75% Recommend
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Good quality pub food reasonably priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

The pub is situated next to Reculver Towers, a local landmark and site of a Roman fort adjacent to the sea. The pub serves good quality ales and some pretty good food if our two visits are anything to go by. If you are a keen cyclist you can park in the car park adjacent and cycle or walk the Viking Way which is a lovely coastal route. Although this pub is off the beaten track, there is plenty to see an do and then finish it off with some nice food, perfect!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Worst welcome of any pub in the UK!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Went to this establishment on Sunday after a nice walk with my wife around the Kent coast and after looking at the Reculver ruins. It was like something out of a film the way the bar staff and locals looked us up and down and sneered as we came in. They made sure there was no way to even get to the bar so we could not order a drink. We finally found a small position where the condescending look and manner coming from the bar maid made us instantly feel uncomfortable. Have to say I am no shrinking violet and do not expect for bar staff to jump over the counter to embrace me but for 43 year old who has gone into pubs all my life I was shocked at how bad the attitude was here. There were not seats at all and EVERY single table has reserved on it even though no one to be seen.We sat outside in the cold, finished our drinks and then went home.

Visited November 2013
I must say how surprised I am to hear that you felt so unwelcome by both staff and customers especially in light of the positive feedback we receive for this reason. We pride ourselves on our friendly service and I can only apologise if you feel you were made uncomfortable.
Rainham, United Kingdom
“average food, complete with hairs.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had a baked potato with coleslaw and cheese (nothing special), but when I had eaten most of the potato and moved the bottom bit to one side I found two hairs on the plate.

I took the plate over to the bar and was told that 'nobody in the kitchen had hair like that', 'anybody could have put the hairs there' and 'it could have come from an animal' (??). A grudging apology, and virtually accused of lying. One to avoid!

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I am sorry that you were not completely happy with your meal. We do try when given the chance to correct any errors on our part however as you said yourself you had eaten the majority of the meal before speaking to a member of staff to voice your complaint.
As for the comments regarding animal hair ??? did you have a pet with you? We are a pet friendly pub and many customers bring their dogs with them so I am wondering if this was the case.
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Good wholesome Pub Grub, well worth a Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stopped off last week for lunch mid way on our walk. A very good choice of food. We ordered cray fish sandwiches and baguettes and the amount of crayfish was unbelievable. No scrimping here. All very tasty with homemade coleslaw. none of your rubbish. Not over keen on pub grub but this shows that it does not have to be awful, it can be tasty, well presented and good value. The place was packed at 12pm on a Monday so that tells you something. Definately go there again

• Visited September 2013