“It's all in the price.” 3 of 5 stars

Star & Eagle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   High Street, Goudhurst TN17 1AL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Goudhurst
northamptonshire
“It's all in the price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've always liked to think that although i've been lucky enough to stay in some of the best Hotels in the country (and some of the worst) that I am able to temper my expectations according to what I have paid and this therefore is my problem with this hotel. I booked three rooms for myself and two colleagues and upon booking was told that two of the rooms were a bit oldey worldey! Not to worry I thought, old building full of character could be great!

When I walked into these two rooms I had to almost bend double to enter them and walking around them it was obvious that they would be ideal for Hobbits not 6ft men! This should have been stated when I booked. I do understand that this is all part of it's charm and that people were a lot smaller when it was built but it would be advisable to warn people, please!!

My room was ok although the furniture and bed were a bit cheap (not antique so please don't say they are). The TV couldn't hold a signal so the news was constantly interrupted with long pauses. I would have thought in this day and age in Kent, getting a good TV signal is not beyond the wit of man.

Tea and Coffee making facilities were very basic (some biscuits would be nice) Hot water took ages and the fan in the bathroom was so loud I thought I'd stepped into a helicopter about to take off. The towels were also very small.

Breakfast was again OK. My first pot of coffee was cold and the sausage was anaemic with an inedible casings, mushrooms were deep fried and my colleague got a tomato he had stated he didn't want.

So to sum it up, nothing overly bad except the price and this is my bugbear. If I had paid £60ish I'd probably have thought "oh well" but at £98, my expectations were definitely higher. The rooms need investment to bring them up to a £98 standard.

Just to end on some brighter notes, the service was always good and very polite. The actual bar and restaurant area is full of character and a lovely place to enjoy a pint.

I did speak to the young lady who gave me the Bill in the morning but frankly I dont think its her problem.

Room Tip: The four post seems to be the best bet Judging by other reviews but stay away from the low ceiling r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bexley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We have just returned from the lovely 14 Century Star and Eagle . We spent one night there with 6 family members including one 4 yr old and 1 baby to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. It is in the picturesque village of Goudhurst in the Kent countryside. From the moment of our arrival the staff were attentive and looked after our every need.. The food was delicious with a small but select wine list. In the restaurant we were able to "pick'n'mix" from the rich and tempting menu and the staff catered for our son's gluten and dairy intolerance, with ease. They also stored and heated the baby's milk and food. Nothing was too much.
The Hotel, of Tudor appearance and dating from the 14th century was full of character and charm. The bedrooms were very comfortable and our four poster bedroom was breathtaking with the bed, leaded lights and a commaning hill-top view of the village and churchyard. It was both large and cosy.
Attilla and staff were brilliant. Thank You. We had a wonderful time and will be back before too long.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a gorgeous little hotel in a very pretty town.

The food was delicious we had 2 course lunch and our breakfast the following day I cant fault the food at all! The service was great every staff member was extremely friendly and helped us in any way they could.

The bedroom was lovely yes it was old but thats the style of the property and its a 14th century building! The only thing I will say was that the room was really cold, but we did have a huge heavy throw on the bed which helped!

We loved our stay so much we are re booking for November, I just hope they put the heating on :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This small hotel in the countryside of Kent is a treasure, the staff friendly and caring, and the food superb. We stayed 5 nights accompanied by English friends who vow they will return to the Star & Eagle. Staying here takes you back to the charm and intimacy of 17th century England. Its central location offers easy access to many delightful attractions. An experience we will treasure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel a couple of months ago. Its a charming place, full of character, lovely old creaky floorboards, ceilings so low you really need to bend down or be the size of a hobbit! The manager was realy helpful and accomodatinge. We had dinner and breakfast there, the dinner in particular was really good, the breakfast was nice and freshly cooked.
I would really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room at the top and right at the back, so cosy!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Weston-super-Mare, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

After being re booked here from an online website as my originally hotel was Overbooked; I had a look online and decided it looked good. Parking was plentiful, the greeting was warm and friendly and the old charm of the pub was immediately felt. Shown to my room (3) I noticed the creaky floorboards and cute little rooms. I loved it. As a single female traveller on business I could not have felt more cosy and safe, the village is gorgeous and I pass through it on business trips so I was always keen to stay. Bed was cosy and comfy - kind of laura Ashley shabby chic which I love. I had a flat screen tv, tea and coffee, wonderfully clean sheets, pillows and carpet and the bathroom was spotless. Yes it's old but all brought up to date and it's clean with everything working. The whole feel just adds to the charm and views out to the Kent countryside on the hot sunny day was bliss! I wish. Could have eat at the restaurant but I was at a golf function nearby - the food looked amazing? Good gastro pub style. As I was leaving early they arranged a little continental breakfast for me which was left in my room whilst I was out and consisted of croissant, jam, yoghurt, banana and beautiful apple juice. Just what I needed to get home to Somerset early! I cannot recommend this place enough? Had a great nights sleep and felt safe and welcomed. Will def stay again. Only comments would be that a biscuit in my room would have gone down a treat with my tea x

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed at the Star And Eagle for two nights and were very pleased indeed with all aspects of the hotel. The manager, Atilla, was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for him. He was ably assisted by Lizzie and all of the staff were equally as kind and helpful. The breakfasts were of a very high standard, as was the quality and variety of the food. The service was very quick and efficient and again, nothing was too much bother. The hotel is one of the best we have stayed in and was very clean,tidy and very relaxing. We would definitely stay here again. Well done Karin and Enrique.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Star & Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!