“Excellent 3 star hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Gillingham
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Excellent 3 star hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I stay at the hotel regularly while working locally. I have always found all hotel staff to be very friendly and helpful. I request a quiet room which is always accommodated. My room has always been clean and comfortable. Breakfast is more than adequate with a good selection. Vegetarian and gluten free diets catered for. It has to be remembered that this is a three star hotel. The hotel may need updating but the rooms are priced at a very competitive rate.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
We always strive to offer value for money, and it is nice when guests understand our values.
A returning guest is always the best review we can ask for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Sheerness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

A rather depressing exterior belies a cosy interior. I stayed here for one night to attend a wedding reception at the hotel and found my single room clean, spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was too "white" and glaring and smelt of "medical" cleaner, but there was plenty of space and the shower worked efficiently. The highlight for me, however, was the superb English breakfast which was included in the already reasonable price. Organisation at breakfast was very efficient and service quick.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
We feel that breakfast is a very important part of the day, and to charge extra for something that was once always included in the room rate of a hotel is definitely a NO in our book!
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Stayed here for one night. Nice hotel, rooms clean and spacious, free wifi a bonus, travelling with my husband who was on business didn't want to go far for an evening meal after a long drive so had a meal from the bar menu which was excellent. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
We have recently included FREE Wi-Fi in our room rates, and we are happy that you were able to take advantage of it. We offer an extensive bar menu for guests that prefer something light and easy.
sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

My partner never reads reviews before booking hotels, he leaves this to me!! So after reading the reviews was very optimistic as always. They seemed to be a mixed bag, but as always don't judge a book by its cover. On arrival, plenty of parking, this was good, as we were in my partners very large white van. Very run down from the outside, could really do with a coat of paint. I stood in the reception, and it smelt fusty, this maybe something to do with the inside garden, very strange. The staff on reception friendly and chatty, we checked in quickly was given the Wifi code free of charge, which is always a bonus, was told breakfast time. On enquiring where the nearest pub was or restaurant, was told there is nothing on the high street at all, it's a good job she didn't work for Gillingham Tourist Board!! The room was adequate, very old fashioned, with a horrible pine headboard. The bathroom was larger than the bedroom, and although clean, felt very stark. The shower worked fine, and we had plenty of hot water.
The pillows were very hard, and the bedding although clean, had been well washed. We were in room 228 and it over looked another part of the hotel, so was very quiet.
We had a good nights sleep, and went down for breakfast early. The breakfast room was very large, well set out and clean. The lady who waited on was very efficient and friendly, even though it was only 6.30am. Nothing seemed too much trouble, and even though she was busy, had time to greet people. Good choice for the main breakfast, and it can honestly say my scrambled egg was beautiful. My partner said his breakfast was also excellent. Maybe they should have a larger selection of fruit. Would I stay here again, yes for a budget hotel, you get exactly what you pay for. Don't expect too much, it does seem to be full of OAP coach parties, so that's maybe why it was so quiet!

Room Tip: Room at the back if you want it quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
It seems that we met your expectation on all levels, and that is always good to read.
The pine headboards are being replaced, but as an independent hotel that does take time.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

After years of driving and walking past, I finally had a reason to stay here.
I've watch the King Charles change over the years and I think it has changed for the better but without losing the local charm that big hotel chains have.
I was pleasantly surprised at how big and how many rooms it has, there was a wedding party there at the same time and there was still loads of space even with the amount of families from the continent on holiday as well.
The room was adequate and the price was good.
Breakfast was just right and the staff were busy but really friendly

Room Tip: Probably not on the front, but the hotel is big enough to cater for most people
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
I think the saying that ‘You never know what is on your doorstep’ is quite true.
I am glad you finally decided to stay with us, and that we didn’t disappoint you when you were here. It is true that we have changed a lot in thirty years, and I am sure you remember how bad the building was all that time ago. We are still trying to improve, and are continually updating and refurbishing various aspects of the hotel.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We booked a late rooms deal and so had a twin room. The beds are very comfy and have lovely bedding for the price. Facilities are satisfactory, didnt need any more as was just a stop over. Tea and coffee, free wifi and freeview in rooms. Bar is fine but the food was absolutely delicious! Yet to have the breakfast but sure we'll be happy. The only issues we had was the noise from the function room as we had a room on the front and were disturbed by the wedding disco music. The other downfall was the initial smell of smoke in the room. Dont know if the neighbours were smoking out of the windows?
Not the best looking hotel on the outside and dated decor inside, but very accessible and loads of parking spaces.
Overall a handy and comfy hotel. Would visit again and would like to try the proper restaurant next time too.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again, and I do hope you will have time to try our a la carte restaurant as well.
Sedgefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Stayed here for one night while travelling it was clean and comfortable and the staff where very friendly. Breakfast was nice with no long waits the bar meals were very nice no long waits there either. If I go to this area again this is where I would stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Friendly and helpful staff are always our priority, and as a family run hotel I hope this comes across well. I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.

Been to The King Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!