“shambles ......” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 25 things to do in Gillingham
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“shambles ......”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

On arriving with five children all keen to go on the toboggan and sno-tube we were told the queue was 25 minutes for each ride which we accepted, unfortunately the 25 minutes turned into an hour for one ride. We booked and paid for 5 which is non refundable but useable on another day. OK if you are local. As the children stood in the queue i was frustrated to see the young disinterested assistant spending as much time as possible under a heat lamp staring at her mobile phone. The speed at which the toboggans were matched with the next rider was incredibly slow and even more frustrating was that after waiting in a queue that was not moving, a large party group were taken straight to the front to merge with the queue which although i understand the reasoning behind, did not help the length of time we had to wait. I also note that this information is only explained after payment is made.
The general area is run down, strewn with rubbish, the staff look bored and simple maintenance has not been carried out. The sno-tube was a waste of money. It was not particularly a great slide and is in need of sorting out. It looks quite simply a bit knackered. This is not a cheap afternoon so i would expect more from this experience. Disappointing.

Visited November 2013
Andy R, General Manager at Chatham Ski and Snowboard Centre, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. I have taken on board your comments and I will draft a sign for reception informing customers that tickets are non-refundable but can be used at any time in the future.
We do try to get the customers through the toboggan run as quickly and safely as possible, allowing sufficient gaps for people to come down at reasonable speed. We cannot legislate for groups of slower riders who may slow the process up.

We do plan to redevelop the sno-tube area at the earliest opportunity.

I appreciate your comments about the site, I would love to be able to invest more in the Centre to make the appearance more appealing, but in these days when business investment has be carefully targeted, we cannot improve things as quickly as maybe others would like us to.

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Very disapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

It is very shabby now it was half term and they over sold the toboggan ride my grandchildren had to wait an hour for one go after their skiing so w e had. To leave so we now still have two rides left do not know when we can go again. It cost me £35 which is no cheep. The queue for food was very long and very slow, I would have thought at half term it could be better organised.

Visited October 2013
Thank you for your review. I accept that we will be very busy during the half-term weeks and we staff the Centre accordingly. The £35 did include the skiing and the toboggan is heavily discounted after you have been skiing. I would never apologise for being busy (we must be doing something right) but we do try to manage a) the sale of tickets, stopping selling them when we see the queue being to large, b) telling customers how long the queue is before they buy a ticket, and also c) with the view to getting customers through the ride as quickly and and safely as possible. I am sorry your visit wasn't to your expectations.
Brussels, Belgium
29 attraction reviews
“Best toboggan in Europe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have tried a similar toboggan in the Great Wall near Beijing. When I discovered this attraction, I did not doubt to use it together with my daughter: she loved it!!!

Visited October 2013
Thank you for your review, we like to think the ride is good as well!.
Kent, UK
39 attraction reviews
“Tired, worn out and strewn with rubbish”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We've been here quite a few times over the years and enjoyed ourselves. Yes, the toboggan is as good fun as everyone says if you like the slow speed of sledging. However, if you come for skiing, its a truly awful experience.
The slope is worn out. The mats are different styles. The sprinkler system to reduce friction to allow you to slide down the slope only works in isolated patches. And even then only sometimes. So you sometimes manage to get some momentum up and then you hit a dry patch. Very disconcerting. The slope was also covered with rubbish. Mostly in three bands; animal poo at the top, polystyrene and plastics in the middle and paper at the bottom. All the vegetation had overgrown as well lending to the reudown feel. The few other people also skiing were having just as miserable time.
It has that rundown, late 70's feel to it.
£13.50 for an adult, £11.50 for a junior for 1.5 hours of misery. Save your money and spend it on something else.

Visited September 2013
Andy R, Manager at Chatham Ski and Snowboard Centre, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I have had e-mail contact I believe with this customer. He highlighted some of the issues which I agreed with. Sometimes on a dry sunny day which this was, the slope does not run as well as in damper conditions and I have offered him the opportunity to try the slope out when conditions may be better. Whilst being no excuse, the visit took place when I have had a number of key staff on leave so our landscaping/grass cutting wasn't as good as maybe it could have been.

We are located within a large country park and have large boundaries. We will get wild animals visiting the site and litter will blow onto our premises and we manage this as best we can.
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
London, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
“Tobboganing gets a Thumbs up from us”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I've literally just got back from here and had the most Epic time!!Me and my mum decided to brave it and do the Tobogganing which is right next to the Ski Slope and well it was amazing. It was quick and simple to pick up and you are always in control of your toboggan so you can adapt speed to your liking. I really recommend this to families and couples and friends and maybe big groups like youth clubs. Its really cheap to.
There are other activities to do here to like the tubing and skiing, the decision is yours.

Visited September 2013
Thank you for taking your time out to review the Centre, your comments are appreciated. I am pleased you enjoyed the toboggan run so much and hope to see you back at the Centre soon.