“When is a pot of tea for two, for two?? At wonderful Wellingtons! Xx” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wellingtons

Ranked #32 of 87 Restaurants in Deal
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
“When is a pot of tea for two, for two?? At wonderful Wellingtons! Xx”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

i was in the cafe on he day the two men who wrote the last negative comments were and witnessed the men complaining about tea! The poor staff were trying to explain that one man had been given extra tea on a previous visit but he and his friend continued to aggressively intimidate the two young female staff who were visibly shaken and upset. For two grown men to act in such a vulgar and primitive manner was alarming and concerning. But we did have the best lunch with excellent service and a lovely cup of tea!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rob W, Manager at Wellingtons, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for your kind words.
Although not present that day, I understand it was quite a nasty experience for the staff on duty.
I don't believe anyone should be subjected to that sort of barrage of abuse, be it customers or staff.
I hope it didn't ruin the meal for you!

As a way of thanks for showing us, as well as the rest of trip advisor, that perhaps a review does not always explore both sides of the coin, next time you visit just explain about the review on here and ask for Harry or one of the owners, and I'm sure we can give you two and half cups on the house!

(its not favouritism, its a thank you!)

With Kind Regards
Rob

London, United Kingdom
“Run by a bunch of amateurs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Lamb Shanks on the menu are “cook in the bag” from the local supermarket. Their vegetables are tinned and/or frozen. Your meal will arrive 15 minutes after your tea has been served, therefore, don’t go thinking you’ll be able to enjoy them both together! The “Specials” board NEVER changes, therefore, there are no “Specials”. In contravention of Trade Descriptions Act 1968 a pot of tea for one is exactly the same as a pot of tea for two. The extra payment is for the use of an extra cup and saucer, not extra tea. And finally, the staff are always right and the customer is always wrong. There are better, friendlier, more welcoming and more reasonably priced Cafe's in abundance in Deal, so thankfully Wellingtons is easily avoided. I’ll return when new management and staff take over, which shouldn’t be long now as the place is on its last legs compared to its competitors.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review.

I have covered "teagate" in my response to your acquaintance.

As for the legal reference, thank you, this is very handy to know. You might also want to consider the weights and measures act 1985, which, coincidentally, does not make it a criminal offence to supply a larger quantity or measure for the same price.

I will add, and am sure that our many regular patrons would agree with me - our specials board is updated on a regular basis.

The staff are fully aware that the customer comes first. However, as human beings, I'm sure you would agree that they are entitled to some respect as much as your good self, and by treating them in any lesser way, and insisting that all your demands are met is possibly not the best way to win them over. I'm also sure you would agree fully when I say that a little mutual respect goes a long way in most situations in life.

Collectively, we have been in the service industry for over 60 years, so whilst I appreciate your concern for the condition that you believe our business may be in, I hope you will understand if I do not share it.

Once again, thank you for your review.
London, United Kingdom
“When is a pot of tea, not a pot of tea”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

When is a pot of tea, not a pot of tea? when its a pot of tea from Wellingtons, Cafe, Deal....

On Tuesday 22nd of April I purchased a Lamb Hotpot and a pot of Tea for One, when the tea was served, I received a pot of
tea, a cup and saucer and a jug of milk.
I was able to pour two cups and half a cup from the tea pot, for the reasonable sum of £1.20.

On Thursday 24th of April, I went into Wellingtons with a friend, where we purchased 2 meals and a pot of tea for 2.
When it was served, we were given a Tea pot exactly the same size as I'd been served a couple of days earlier, plus 2 cups
and saucers and a jug of milk. We managed to get 2 full cups, and a half a cup ( exactly the same as the previous occasion )
but were charged £2.40 this time.

When we went to pay we were queried the fact that we had paid double the amount for the same quantity and that something was wrong.
The girl behind the counter told us that the pot of tea was filled with more water than the pot of tea for one, thereby costing
us £1.20 more for some extra water. we suggested that we would pay for 1 pot of tea at £1.20 as thats all we had been given.
But was informed that was not possible.
This begs the question that on 22nd I had asked for a pot of tea for one, that was infact 1/2 a pot of tea for one, surely a trade
description issue?

We asked to see the manager or owner of the cafe, a young lad ( supposidly the Manager ) came out to discuss this issue with us.
He was totally disinterested in listening to our concerns and was totally inflexible towards us, or wanting to satisfy a regular
customer or by offering any flexibility, I was totally disgusted by the attitude and had to leave. He then came out side to further
put his point of view, whilst not letting me or my friend finish our point of view. We were then told that, we could have asked for
some extra water to 'top up' our pot of tea, but at no time since we entered the Cafe were we made aware of this 'fact' nor by any signage.
He also told me that regular customers may get some more water in the tea pot, and thats why I benefitted on the 22nd.

I feel that we were badly treated by the girls behind the counter and the 'manager' subsequently. Not one member of staff were prepared to compromise
or 'help' satisfy us as customers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rob W, Manager at Wellingtons, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
After considering your review for a day, and asking our staff about what exactly occurred, I have to respond by saying that I agree with the staff completely.
Your complaint was handled with as much respect as could be mustered, considering how abruptly you treated the staff on duty.

Our manager was courteous and attempted to explain to you, and when you demanded to speak with the owner, he promptly went to contact them, by which time you had left.

You were informed at the time, as I am about to repeat now, that a pot of tea for two is a full teapot. A pot of tea for one is at least half a teapot, normally slightly more, but never less than half.

Deal
“Teas Sandwiches Coffee and More”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

The neon signs over counter highlight three staple items, but the café has a kitchen where more elaborate lunches are prepared. The specials were strong in fish but also pork chops, with a choice of mash or chips. There is quite an extensive menu, but as everything cooked is prepared to order, you may be inside for an hour or 75 minutes. The staff are friendly and talk to customers in between table clearing and being summoned to the kitchen. The toilet and washroom behind a sliding door is a one at a time affair. Family friendly with high chairs for infants, and dogs can get a drink too. The lowest level nearest the door can catch a wind or the windows mist up according to outside weather, but a good view of the pier can be had. A few seats outside but not suitable for this day. I spent £13.05 on a two course with rhubarb crumble . and soft ice ream and a large orange, so I would rate my expenses ££,

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rob W, Manager at Wellingtons, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you Martin for your kind review.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Take care.
Deal, United Kingdom
“Excellent breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We have eaten here on several occasions and the set breskfast is great value. It is very popular for breakfast so be prepared to queue at weekends.

Visited December 2013
Thank you for your review.
Yes, it can get a little manic at the weekends can't it!
But I hope its worth the wait.
Take care.