“What a wonderful place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buxton Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granville
Buxton Inn
You added Buxton Inn to your Saves list
313 East Broadway, Granville, OH 43023   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Granville
san francisco
“What a wonderful place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

I travel to Granville at least twice a year, and have come to look forward to staying at the Buxton Inn. It's an old, funky step back in time, with a friendly and helpful staff and reasonable prices. If you're looking for generic cookie cutter hotel rooms, stick with the chains, but for a change of pace, try the Buxton; it may be old and a bit frayed around the edges, but I find it a nice step back in time(if you can ignore the tv and other modern amenities). I haven't seen any ghosts yet, but there is a friendly cat or two on the premises. I don't generally eat there, so I can't comment on the restaurant, but a continental breakfast is provided. A nice change of pace from the tiresome normal hotel or motel.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Huntington, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

My family stayed at the Buxton Inn in the 1980's while I was attending Dennison University. Boy have things changes.

We stayed there in May 2007 while passing through Granville on a vacation trip. Both of our rooms were over crowded with furniture. You could barely walk through the room without running into things. Most of the items were unnecessary.

The rooms were clean, but very over decorated. Lots of flowered wallpaper, borders, heavy draperies, nicknacks, etc. Our rooms would have been much nicer and friendlier if about 40% of the stuff was taken out.

The grounds consist of multiple gardens with lots of areas to sit outside and enjoy. Most of the gardens are overgrown and could use some attention.

The staff was very friendly and attentive. The dining room needs some attention. We had very average meals at prices not in accord with their quality.

I remember the Buxton Inn as a lovely Inn with an air of distinction. It is still a nice place, but has not weathered well over the years. If I return to Granville, I would stay at the Granville Inn across the street. We has lunch there and it appeared to be completely up to date and worthy of a visit.

Hopefully, someone will update the Buxton Inn soon. Until they do, I wouldn't recommend it very highly.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

A beautiful property a very short walk walk from a quaint downtown.

The TY FY room 2 was a step back in time. Nicely decorated, but with little light available. Natural light is obstructed by the wraparound porch. And only lamps are provided. But this added to the mysterious and "back-in-time" feeling.

Beautiful details (woodwork, fireplace, skeleton key holes in the doors, an old turn doorbell) all around.

But also with all the nice modern amenities (bathroom, refridge, coffemaker, TV, thermostat).

Very clean!

A wonderful place!!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

I went to Denison so I'm very familiar with the Buxton. Overall, I like the property. The restaurant is usually good and the tavern in the basement is creapy but really fun to visit. The courtyard and fountains are lovely. The rooms vary from well-appointed country inn to grandma's musty upstairs. The room I stayed in in one of the annexes had mismatched mint-colored furniture, old, worn carpet, and an antiquated bathroom. Granville is wonderful and Denison is beautiful.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2004

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the Buxton several years ago. We had heard there was a resident ghost, but knew nothing about the "cat" ghost.....and THAT is who visited us in the middle of the night. As if in a dream, this cat jumped up from the bottom of the bed and walked up on my chest and with deep hollow eyes stared at me and said in my head "this is nothing to fool around with", jumped off the bed, ran "through" the closed door and down the steps. I was fairly spooked when I woke in the morning. I was totally fascinated at breakfast when I saw an image of a cat on the menu, and learned that there was indeed a resident feline ghost. We plan to visit again this anniversary. It's a quaint and charming Inn in a quaint and charming college town. S.H.

Been to Buxton Inn? Share your experiences!