“Delicious food, good service from a 13th Century Inn” 4 of 5 stars

The George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stone Street, Cranbrook TN17 3HE , England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranbrook
London
“Delicious food, good service from a 13th Century Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Just got back from a stay at the George Hotel which is in the heart of Cranbrook. This is a great place, amazing food rivaling some of London's better restaurants, with a reasonably priced, but well chosen wine list. We stayed on Saturday night after doing a tour of Kent's wineries. The hotel is stylish but filled with historic charm dating from the 13th Century with Elizabeth 1st being one of the many guests who've stayed the night. The service is welcoming and attentive, but being an Inn the vibe is pretty relaxed - a very nice short break out of London, be sure to book dinner in advance as it's very popular.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I stayed here with my parents on a friday night on the way to a family party further into kent on the saturday night. The car park is very small and tight to park in let alone get into and out of the actual car park. Lots of stairs with heavy bags. Pub is noisy and busy, nice deep colours and well decorated. I had a 'single' room which had a four poster in it, very old and antiquey, with sloped floor to boot. disappointing bathroom really - basic and nothing special.

the disrupted part was at 2.20am when it sounded like a lock in had gone bad and the pub was being trashed, however it was some (what can only be described as) 'hooray henrys' banging on peoples doors on the floor, a dog barking, shouting for at least an hour. at breakfast they were down there with breeches on, caps and went outside in their range rovers smoking cigars. they apologised to one couple who were also staying there and whose door they had banged on and paid they nights accommodation. needless to say a very restless night and has given me major bad memories of the accommodation.

breakfast in the hotel was ok but with over the top service which was very unneeded.

we ate at apicius which is very nice, small and fussy food about £50 per head.

there i s lovely deli across the road advertising crepes, we got it wrong and went to the one next door my mistake

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
County Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed for one night in this hotel on a week's holiday in Kent and Sussex and we really enjoyed it.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming and there was a really positive bustle about the place.

We had a super meal in the restaurant - quality food prepared with some imagination and as good lamb as I've ever had.

The rooms retain their mediaeval character.

Being in the centre of town was great for sightseeing, although not as quiet as a country hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I stayed at the George while completing an intensive radio course out in Kent. I was delighted by the charming interior of the hotel and the warmth and friendliness of the staff who were quite frankly totally charming!

My room (the Heather room in the historic section) was beautiful, so much so I was compelled to take photos almost immediately. (More about this later). It even had a huge sunken bathroom with a corner spa however no matter how long I waited I could not get the water temp in the shower as hot as I would have liked. Please note however I do have scaldingly hot showers so this may not be a problem for most!

I was very excited to dine in the much commended restaurant downstairs but sadly was a little disappointed but feel perhaps I just made a bad menu choice everyone else seemed to be really loving it. I must say my breakfast the next day was superb.

I then returned to my room for a good nights sleep however as my room was quite near one of the very heavy old fire doors I was woken a few times by the banging of the door through the wall which was a little unfortunate (may I suggest padding it somehow?) it is such a tranquil place otherwise.

However at one point I awoke thinking I was not exactly sure that I was alone but after I had convinced myself it was only my imagination I fell back to sleep, I might add nothing happened other than my vivid imagination to make me think this. Funnily enough when I looked back at my photos of the room it may appear I was right! if you look carefully in one of my photos you will see an orb and my friend who can see ghosts tells me there is a woman near the lamp but for the life of me I can't see her!

Regardless of my possible other supernatural guests The George is a truly lovely place to rest your weary head and the staff will gladly cater for your every whim. Just get in early I hear sometimes it's hard to get a room!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

If you are looking for a romantic break, look no further than this hotel. Pictures of the outside of the hotel do not do it justice - inside there are lots of Tudor features. I think it would be even better on a cold winter's weekend when the log fires could be lit.

We stayed in the delightful Heather Room, which had a roomy bathroom. The Crimson Room next door, with its four poster bed also looked lovely.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I got married in my home-village very near to Cranbrook, as such we needed accommodation for guests. The George hotel obliged and all 12 rooms were booked by our guests for 2 nights. My now, husband and best man also stayed here the night before the wedding, and we returned together for our wedding night! The hotel is lovely and full of charm, it's also a very popular local. Reports from the family were that the food in the restaurant was lovely.
Having looked at a number of the rooms, I'd say the ones in the oldest part of the hotel are the best and have the most space/character.
The Crimson room, with the 4-poster was lovely and had all the amenities we could need. The bathroom let's the room down a little, it could feel more 'special' and the black and white doesn't altogether go with the red and gold in the bedroom. It was also very hot in the room (not outside!) and so had to have the windows open all night. Not an issue but there were night time road works going on which were noisy (not the fault of the hotel of course!).
Only other downside was the speed of service at breakfast. Some people were waiting over an hour on the morning of the wedding for it! Not good when you're in a bit of a hurry to get ready etc... It was a bit better on the Sunday morning.

Altogether a lovely place. Pricey, but good.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Cranbrook is an exceptionally pleasant town, full of vernacular Kentish architecture, a nice church, a windmill, interesting houses, blooming cottage gardens, art galleries, a Michelin-starred restaurant and The George, a classic coaching inn once visited by Elizabeth I. It all says England loud and clear. There is good sightseeing in the vicinity, including the legendary gardens of Great Dixter and Sissinghurst, and it’s convenient for the Channel ports and tunnel.
The George is currently owned by the brewery, Shepherd Neame, and has undergone a makeover in recent years. Thus the buzzy downstairs bar area has a smart look, the original staircase is impressive and there’s also an outdoor wisteria terrace, overlooking the cramped and grotty car park and now the smokey outpost of lung cancer’s future victims.
We stayed for one night in Room 11, called Oyster, which overlooked the car park. The room was modern, apart from a vast wardrobe, and the bathroom was clean, with a decent shower in the tub. There were no tissues (a benchmark for me) and the wastepaper basket still had the previous occupant’s detritus, though this was nothing more unsavoury than yesterday’s Daily Mail. The bed was comfortable and it was quiet, until 3.30am when the heavens opened. Above the room a broken gutter forced the rain like Niagara on to our roof, making sleep impossible. Maintaining these old buildings is a never-ending battle with money and materials.
We had dinner at Apicius, the Michelin-starred place a few doors up the road. This is a delightful restaurant, though the timid flavours, some corner-cutting and obvious portion control might annoy next year’s Michelin inspector if he’s had a sleepless night. So we did not sample dinner at The George. Breakfast offered one of the meanest buffets I have encountered, overcooked scrambled eggs and stewed coffee. However, for £95 B&B this must count as good value and the overall charm of the place and the friendliness of the staff completely won us over.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!