“Great but patchy...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Cranbrook
London
“Great but patchy...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed at The George Hotel in Cranbrook between Christmas and New Year for a relaxing couple of days away from it all. The room we stayed in was tastefully (if cheaply) decorated, but it was so small there was barely enough room to walk around the bed, and we had to tuck our bags into the corner of the room to avoid tripping over them. The website mentioned luxurious finishings such as fluffy towels and Gilchrist & Soames toiletries (so we didn't bother packing any shampoo or shower gel of our own) and the reality did live up to this, but the bottles of G&S toiletries were so tiny, it was barely enough for both my husband and I to use in one day. We were also very disappointed that we were not given new bottles of toiletries on the second day (presumably because there was still a smidgen left at the bottom of the bottles that we had) and found this to be somewhat "cheap". Food-wise, breakfast was included in the room rate so it was extremely good value for money. Guests may choose from a selection of cereals, toast (lovely chunky granary bread) or pastries and a cooked breakfast (delicious sausages, if only they could decide whether to serve one or two, and the chef needs to learn how to make poached eggs without cooking the entire yolk). Dinner was patchy however. I had the most wonderful shepherds pie one evening (definitely the best I have ever tasted) whereas my husband's pork belly dish was tough and chewy. The tin of warm bread that we had before our meal was delicious but the accompanying balsamic and olive oil was awful (I blame the poor quality olive oil - again, abit "cheap"). As lovers of olive oil and balsamic, both my husband and I were pretty disappointed and stuck with the margerine (honestly, it didn't taste like real butter). They seem to do the posh "pub grub" well so they should stick to that genre - their attempts at more stylish haute cuisine were fine but abit disappointing. In terms of the service, again, we found this to be patchy. The waitresses in the restaurant were extremely attentive, but we found the check-in and check-out service was poor. Considering this is a family run establishment, every impression counts. We weren't sure, but the maturer lady on the premises was possibly the owner - if this was the case, she should have been much more welcoming and cheerful - more "front-of-house" - but she just looked completely miserable the whole time.

All in all, for the rate we paid, this is a lovely hotel, and I would certainly recommend this to others, but expect what you pay for, nothing more.

• Liked — Good value for money
  • Disliked — Rooms were tiny
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

One night stay with family in this wonderful character hotel. You can just feel the authenticy & history of the place as soon as you go in. Room we had (Aurum) was excellent and a step back in time. The owners really put themselves out to ensure our stay was a good one (even cooking home made fish fingers esp for our 2yr daughter). Food we had was top notch also. Bar area is very relaxing. Couple of minor faults - there was some rowdyness in the restaurant towards the end of our meal and after but I guess it was close to Xmas also when, we were leaving in the morning we found we were locked out of the hotel and couldn't get in with out room key. Neither spoit an excellent stay.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — rowdyness of some people in restaurant
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

To be Seduced by a website is perhaps a little naive, however promises of "a clever fusion of period features and stylish contemporary decor' are attractive to one fatiqued by dull English hotels in search of someting more' Boutique'. The photographer has indeed worked his magic on this site.

The Mandarin room....let us take a tour...A cold room on arrival at 10.00pm at night. Hmmmm a very ecelctic mix of decor. Do we call it fusion or confusion? A canvas on the wall covered in an interesting fabric....and with a matching stool. A rare Ming Dynasty vase cleverly disguising a Ikea logo beneath holds a less than prepossessing collection of dried flowers. A strange silver lamp base stands self consciously by the bed out of character more suited to the Emirates Stadium.

The tea tray took me back somewhat to 1967. A couple of limp Tetley tea bags and plastic UHT milk....just what I felt like after the drive. I gathered that the Herbal Tisanes and Earl Grey were striclty reserved for restaurant clients....move on George, surely "the posh ones" (Tea Bags) can make it up to the rooms.

On the menu this morning ..... packet cereals......oh for organic meusli. Fresh orange juice? oh no no no (powdered orange juice cica 1972???) would a glass of sticky Cranberry juice surfice.

Young friendly staff at breakfast but could they not restrain from indulging in pop music in the early hours as they prepare the tables disturbing us on a Sunday morning at 7.30am!

Oh yes waiting time at dinner stretched even our capacity to keep up entertaining conversation.

So near and yet so far.

p.s I stress we are quite tall...

• Liked — departure
  • Disliked — arrival
  • Stayed October 2007
Tunbridge Wells
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

We had our wedding here back in September and the hotel, staff, rooms and food are fabulous. Having eaten in the hotel a few times prior to our wedding we had always been impressed with the menu, the service and the quality of the food. On our wedding day the owner Mark and his staff worked tirelessly to make sure we had a wonderful day. Having planned our wedding here we did check out most of the rooms and they are lovely. Without exception everyone (60 people) said to us the food was amazing and what a beautiful small hotel the George is.

Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

We booked this hotel to celebrate my wife’s birthday back in September and I have to say its one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. We loved this place and had a fantastic time the staff where unbelievable attentive the food was excellent and the room was very modern but still retaining many original features. We cant wait to get back for a longer stay next year, when we plan to spend more time visiting the many attractions in the area.
We recently stayed at the Hotel Du Vin Brighton and if like us you a fan of theirs you will love this hotel.
Well done keep up the good work.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

My husband and I have just returned from the George and had a great time. We stayed in the Oyster Room, which was a contemporary design in white and black with black leather bed and mirrors etc. The dinner in the restaurant was first class and I had the best Sheperds Pie I have ever tasted. Puddings were to die for!. The service from everyone was good and we had a really good full English breakfast in the morning. This is a lively place in the evening and there are people drinking outside of the Hotel (probably due to the smoking ban). This did not affect our enjoyment of the Hotel, infact it provided a good atmosphere in the bar area. Probably best not to book a room at the front of the Hotel if you want a quiet early night!!.

• Liked — Modern clean
London UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

We had a terrible stay here. We paid for one of the most expensive rooms. It overlooks the street where there are outside bar tables. The bar is popular with 20 somethings. About 50 of them were laughing and shouting beneath our bedroom window when we returned from our meal on the Friday night (our first night in the hotel - we booked for Friday and Saturday). They seemed to be coming and going, cars screeching, hooting, etc. Even with the window closed you could not sleep. It is worth noting that even if you like to go to bed late the bin men collect between 5.30am and 6.00 a.m. on a Saturday morning and they don’t do a quiet job.

When we went downstairs to ask about moving to another room we were told the hotel was full. Also told it would quieten down after last orders. Apparently this was a one off but this bar was kitted out for regular and heaving use so I find that difficult to believe.

Went back to room. It started getting even noiser. We decided could not trust that a similar thing could occur on the following night also, so we tried ringing down to reception on two separate occasions. No reply so I went down in my nightdress. Lorraine (receptionist/manager) behind bar pulling pints to people 6 deep at the bar. Waited in my nightdress trying to get some attention. Eventually she came over. I said there was no way we could stay here. I said we would go now if we had not just had a bottle of wine with our meal, so we were both over driving limit. I said I was not prepared to pay for tonight’s accommodation, as this really was unacceptable. I also asked for my £40 deposit back. She would need to speak to the Owner. I said you cannot sell these people more drinks quick enough and you know there are people paying good money to sleep in this hotel and they cannot get any peace. I asked her to get the owner on the phone. She said she could not reach him on his mobile. I asked her to ring his home. I said we had booked a quite weekend away in a cosy hotel, only to find ourselves in a room with about 50 revellers below. I did not need a four poster, I needed a sleeping tablet! She said she did not have the owners home number. I said you have got to be joking, you must have his number. What if there was an emergency, say there was an armed robbery going on at the hotel. (This comment could have been anything, even say hotel burning down or flood or some other disaster). Lorraine apparently later relayed this comment as what if I held a gun to your head. Obviously an easy mistake to make when a women is standing there talking to you in her nightdress! Like she has a gun on her!!

Lorraine finally agreed that night to give me back my deposit via my credit card. At no point was any apology given for what was going on and quite simply all Lorraine wanted to do was to get back and start serving more people at the bar. This is not a hotel it is a bar with rooms.

As I went back up the stairs I said out loud so everyone could hear - you really have picked the wrong person to treat so badly and I shall be writing a review on Trip Advisor telling everyone about this. I asked her to give me something in writing about the noise. All she would do is put the words "some noise", so in the end I recorded the noise with my camcorder.

Half an hour later telephone went in our room and Lorraine asked me where we leaving within the next few minutes as she wanted to get to bed. I said to her that I had already told her, that we had drank a bottle of wine with our meal and although we would prefer to leave immediately we couldn’t.

As a precaution I removed from the office whilst I was waiting for her to try and contact the owner by mobile, my deposit receipt, because I did not want them adding additional items to my bill. I was too late, because upon my return home, I found that they had indeed credited £40 deposit, but then had taken it back and added another separate transaction of £85. I was not told by the hotel of any of these transactions, they had abused my trust and used my credit card without my permission. I only found out when I checked my balance on line! Be very careful about giving your card details to this hotel!

We left around 9.30 am. They did not offer coffee or anything and we did not ask either. At reception Lorraine told me that they would not charge for the Friday night but would have to charge me for the Saturday night. She then said they would waive Saturday night’s bill also, only if I agreed NOT TO WRITE A BAD REVIEW. I said was that not blackmail. I said that I would write a review to warn other people - nothing more nothing less. I insisted on getting a bill on headed notepaper saying nil balance. This took a lot of negotiating but I did manage to get it.

When I got home I checked my account and found the 2 additional charges totalling £125. These had been put through late on the Friday night when they knew all the problems we were having with noise. It took until the following Friday (1 week to get it resolved).

Upon my return home, when I rang the owner about the charges and to ask why they had made charges without referring them to me he said it was to protect the hotel. I found that odd, I had come down in good faith to pay for 2 nights accommodation and found that I was given a room directly above a bar with outside seating and it was a really busy pub, not just the odd local but lots of young people who wanted to enjoy themselves.

The Crimson room was just like the picture used on their website. When you see the bathroom you realise why there are no pictures available. Yes its large but with a cheap white suite, no nice touches, no bin, no tissues, no shower cap… For a "hotel" selling itself on style and calling this a superdeluxe room the bathroom is a letdown.

They will try and get you to book the hotel restaurant but do not bother. If the lunch was anything to go by, word must have got round about the food and you can have your choice of tables. The food is "pub food" and not good pub food at that. My partner had beer battered cod that came with 8 chips. The cream sauce with my moules was so salty you could not eat it. The bread and dipping oils never arrived and we ended up cancelling it but they still managed to charge for it. They say it is award winning and I suspect it was probably the napkin folding award certainly not the food, which at best is tear jerking!

There are better hotels locally where you get good service and where they care about guests. I too was taken in with the good reviews. Trust your instincts in this place. It is shoddy at best.
You spend time organising these trip, they cost money and you look forward to them and you just get this treatment. The owner is not hands on and that is always a bad sign.
Like the Crimson Room, when they got to the bathroom I guess they just ran out of steam and I think that is how it is here, the owners have run out of steam and boy does it show!

• Liked — Suits of armour
  • Disliked — Noise, bare bathroom, ill fitting room door, poor lighting, uncaring staff, loud bar etc.
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!