“A tired old gem of a Hotel - needs tlc” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Springvale Hotel & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seaview
Springvale Hotel & Restaurant
You added Springvale Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
Springvale Road, Seaview PO34 5AN, England   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Seaview
UK
“A tired old gem of a Hotel - needs tlc”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

This hotel is fantastically situated between Ryde and Seaview, right on the beach - position perfect.
It does however need some serious investment to continue to command the prices it charges.
The owner really does her very best with a limited staff but rooms are not the best, beds are absolutely awful, the bathrooms are not what one now expects, carpet stained, mixer shower over the bath, gimey mould roung the grout etc.
Breakfast is nothing special, served by students without the best of customer service skills in a real dated dining room.
Overall, a real gem that needs serious capital investment.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Brighton, Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I just had to add my comments, after reading the three negative reviews on here. I have stayed at the Springvale twice, last September and this April. For me it is exactly what I want when I stay in the Isle of Wight. OK, it is old-fashioned, but for me that is the main part of its charm. Both times I have had a double room at the back. The view is of a converted Georgian manor house, set in grounds. There are many trees, and it is so quiet all you can hear is birdsong. The room was clean, and I was only charged £35 a night bed and breakfast. I had a double bed, bath and separate shower that were all very clean and worked perfectly. The hotel is warm, without being too hot.

I spent three afternoons sitting on the verandah being served earl grey tea, and watching the birds and the red squirrels come and feed. This was extremely relaxing.

The staff are all polite and friendly, willing to help, but also give you your own space. The breakfasts were excellent - I cannot comment on the evening meals as I didn't eat there. A short 15 minute walk along the beach takes you into Seaview - a beautiful walk to do at dusk.

Give me the Springvale any day, I'd rather have character over the usual modern, bustly, hotel with screens everywhere and uniform "contemporary" furnishings that all look the same.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Chichester, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

This is a real sad case. The Hotel has evidently been redecorated recently, the outside is rather ice cream parlour green and white and the rooms were adequate and clean - but that's where it ends. The owner should have retired years ago, he seems very willing and certainly knows what he would like to offer as a standard, but really fails to justify the price (over £100). To be fair, the location is OK if you want quiet and away from it all (as we do) and the view, when we could see through the mist, was great.
However you'd have to go back a long way to find any kind of eating establishment that doesn't chill either Cider or white wine as a matter of routine - even in England. Enter Basil stage left "Oh you'd like chilled white wine - Good Lord" Breakfast was acceptable but the one dinner we had was laughable. Leaving the warm cider and wine aside, the menu items were straight out of Ealing hotel school 1968 and yes I know they're having a bit of a revival in a post-modernist ironic way, but this place was just catching up with them.
There was a chicken dish and a salmon both with a strange gloopy white sauce that owed a lot to cornflour and nothing to Beurre Blanc. Mine, the chicken, had had some dried herb, possibly tarragon added at the last minute and my wife's possibly basil and rosemary - but you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference in a blind tasting because both could be easily mistaken for blancmange.
The clincher came the next morning when the owner insisted that we eat at the brown table clothed tables and, despite the dining room being quite large and empty, insisted on sitting another couple (the only other ones in the room at the time) next to us buttock to buttock in a window bay, so we could all enjoy the view.
This couple were a travelling sales type and what may have been his daughter, though she knew too much about his diary for that to be likely. The owner greeted them thus "Oh....you're together are you?" without any sense of embarassment or humour.The poor waitress was completely unable to contain her laughter and no-one was surprised when they checked out early.
The next day the only other guests who we saw, a couple with a young child also checked out because the rain, which had been heavy overnight dripped on to their bed (although they invented a cover story about a sister-in-law unexpectedly going into labour). Just like me, they couldn't face a proud but completely exhausted old man with the truth - this Hotel should be raised to the ground, rebuilt in its splendid location and run by someone who has eaten out in the last 10 years on the mainland to get some idea of what a good standard is now being attained by quite a few eateries. You have been warned

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The incompetence
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
middlesex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

photos do not reflect the current state of the 'hotel'. scaffolding, in need of renovation and updating, although clean. outrageous prices in restaurant for food that is inferior.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

Oh dear, what a huge disappointment, terribly old fashioned decor, I really don't think it has been updated for 20 years, even the tv in the room was about 20 years old. The shower was feeble and varied wildly between hot and cold despite desperate attempts to find a reasonable medium. The bath had rather limescale ridden looking spa jet holes in the bottom which presumably weren't in use, I didn't fancy it quite frankly.

It's a good 20 minute walk from the centre of Seaview so really not the best of locations although it does overlook the beach.

I was quoted £110 for a sea facing room when I booked the room, which I thought was a bit of stretch when I booked it, and a lot of a stretch when I actually saw the room. When we checked out, we were told it was £130 a night and the receptionist seemed completely at a loss to explain why I'd been quoted £110 and kept referring back to her computer screen helplessly. God only knows. £130 for this place is absolute highway robbery, you could stay in a Hotl du Vin for another £20!!! You'd at least expect a decent shower for that price! The toiletries seemed to have a very sweet pungent perfume and I decided best to avoid.

The visitors book seemed to have all positive comments. I can only think that they are from rather more elderly guests (my husband and I are 30), as the old fashioned decor and formal dining room would probably suit them, although as there's no lift, they might have a bit of trouble getting up to our room which was up about 4 flights of stairs.

• Liked — Good tea and coffee
  • Disliked — Price, decor, shower
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Springvale Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!