“Used to be brilliant!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“Used to be brilliant!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This is my local curry house, and it always used to be consistently brilliant. Something changed around Christmas time in 2011. Not sure whether it was a change of chef or what, but they went from having really great flavoursome curries to something less than ordinary.

Sadly, a lot of regulars still go, and I think they're trading off a good reputation. Unfortunately the reality now is that the curries are just downright mediocre.

In fairness, the Onion Bhajis and naan breads are usually good (better than others in Ryde). But what used to be flavourful and tasty is now a bland disappointment. Very very sad!

The service has always been hit and miss at best. We used to forgive the surly staff, and would find it quite funny. No finesse or sense of timing here, just in, out, done, clear tables, get the next lot in. Forgivable (just) when the food was good. But not any more.

Was by far and away the best curry house in Ryde. Now it's just a poor shadow of it's former self.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

63% Recommend
“100% genuine”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Having just stayed in Ryde on business with a colleague, we were looking for a good curry house so I had previously looked on Trip Advisor about where to go and there was a mixed bag of reviews about Ryde Tandoori but as we were staying just down the road from there we thought to give it the benefit of doubt and try for ourselves. I would just like to make clear that if a majority of similar comments are made about a certain subject then PLEASE take those comments on board and the % of time they will be right!!!!!, so on that subject I was looking forward to a good meal and service and this wasn't what we received, to start with I lost count on how many times we were asked to repeat ourselves on what we wanted as the waiter had forgotten and when he went off with the order we still had to ask him for one of our drinks which he had also forgotten about!. I had asked for my meal to be a little more saucy 'NOT' like a soup which is how I had received it!, also it wasn't very busy in the restaurant only three tables of two, but towards the end of the evening when it was only us there the waiter continued pacing up and down past us I'm talking 7 or 8 times continuously looking to see if we had finished, to which I called him over and told him that we would let him know when we had finished!. So overall would I recommend the Ryde Tandoori the answer NO, maybe a personal opinion but my colleague was also in agreement with myself and it might had been a bad mid week night but every night and every first impression lasts and the good impressions were not meet here.

London, United Kingdom
“quick polite takeaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

a late night visit, so only a few customers. the service for my takeaway was very quick and polite. Naan bread was very mediocre, but the chicken curry i had was tasty, with plenty of meat. I would go there again

Visited March 2013
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Surprised by poor reviews!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I must say I'm surprised and quite surprised by the poor reviews on here. We live within a stone's throw from Ryde Tandoori and have eaten there many times. Maybe it's because they know us, but we always get good service, the occasional complimentary bottle of wine and, for the past few years, a card at Xmas! My husband and I are well travelled and therefore picky about our food, but I can honestly Ryde Tandoori serve she best Indian food we've had in the UK (have lived all over the UK) so far. We've only had better Indian food in India (obviously) and Kenya where there is a large Indian population. The menu may seem limited but it's freshly prepared and they will do dishes that are not on the menu if you ask them. It always seems busy so I guess many people enjoy going there despite the reviews! It is a small restaurant and it may seem cramped, but I do know they tried to expand fairly recently by buying the neighbouring property - unfortunately it seems they couldn't get a licence to use the extra space as a restaurant so it was sold. We will continue to eat there regularly - maybe I shouldn't write a positive review or it will get even busier?!

London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

First entered and despite the restaurant being empty and staff twiddling their fingers, nobody came to seat us or welcome us. Eventually drink orders were taken and when the food arrived it has to be said that it was really disappointing, one dish was luke warm and another just tasted completely wrong and didn't match description on menu. On top of this, the seating is cramped, and the food is expensive for what it is.

Won't be returning!