“Special spa offers” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   High street | Wootton Bridge, Ryde PO33 4LJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ryde
“Special spa offers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I have just spent a wonderful afternoon at lakeside. We had a superb lunch in the brassie. The staff were attentive and very expierenced. We then went onto the spa again the staff were helpful we relaxed in the relax room and taken through for our treatments which were wonderful. We then went and had our nails done again the staff was chatty and very pleasant. We then went for a swim, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room . Everything was clean and excellent value on the April special offers. The only down side was we ordered afternoon tea for the end of the session, the young lady who served us was new and hadn't a clue how to serve the tea, we got no plates or knives no spoons for the jam and cream , we waited so long for the food the tea was cold.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Isle of Wight England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We are fortunate to live on the Isle of Wight and decided to spend a Saturday night at Lakeside. We had a really nice double room overlooking the lake, which was quiet and comfortable with a lovely bathroom.
I had a massage in the afternoon, whilst my other half spent an hour in the comfort of the bar. Dinner in the evening was excellent, with a very interesting menu. The service was also very attentive, without being intrusive.
Breakfast in the morning is buffet style, but there were items that could be cooked to order.
I would recommend Lakeside and will hopefully do this again. It was lovely to be able to enjoy a meal with a bottle of wine and not worry about having to drive home.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellesbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Lakeside Park Hotel was clean and comfortable. However I had requested two double rooms and one twin room. (We were a party of 6, made up of 3 generations. My children, aged 15 and 20 were sharing a room but hadn't wanted to share a bed.) We were told that no twin rooms were available and if we wanted an additional bed there would be a charge of £35 per night. They did move an extra folding bed free of charge. It was a folding bed, not really suitable for a 20 year old! We had chosen this hotel to celebrate my birthday and our 25th (Silver) wedding anniversary. Other reviewers had praised the attention to detail at this hotel, which is why I had chosen to book there. The receptionist told me, yes, she had a note that we were there for a celebration, but no one went out of the way to 'go the extra mile'. No one even wished me a happy birthday or happy anniversary at any point during our weekend.

We had booked the 25 min massage for each member of our party. After checking in I went down to the treatment rooms to see if there was anything we needed to bring with us, or anything we needed to do in preparation. I was told, "No, just bring yourselves down." All very smiley, but not particularly competent. So, my mother, my daughter and I went to the treatment rooms at our appointed time. We were then taken to their relaxation room and asked to fill out a form. When I was taken to my treatment room the therapist told me we'd only have a few minutes for the massage because we had taken so long to fill in the forms. As predicted, there were no other appointments available for the entire weekend. I told her that the purpose of this weekend had been to relax and feel pampered and that it was my birthday, but nothing could be done. I then asked why I hadn't been told about the form filling when I had come down to enquire, or at the time of booking, on the 26th March, well in advance of our arrival and she replied, "I don't know why they didn't tell you." My 25 minute massage lasted a total of 12 minutes!

Our next disappointment was at the dinner. There had been a wedding there that day so they were short staffed, with many trainees. This would not have been a problem had it meant that the service was attentive and caring. They were polite at all times, but the service was sloppy.

The beds were fairly comfortable, although a little soft, but the duvets were awful! The stuffing had all lumped together so there were uneven pockets of filling. This was the case in all the three rooms, and the single duvet on the fold up bed too! Note: there is no fridge in the rooms.

On the second evening, my family booked a surprise dinner at a well known restaurant on the island, to celebrate our special occasions. We had a fantastic meal, with some excellent wine, and returned to our hotel. Four of us would have liked a herbal tea before turning in, so following the information in the Guest Services book, I went down to Reception to request some herbal teas. I was told they'd be sent up once he had located where they'd be kept. We waited for around 20 minutes and I called the desk. I was told the restaurant was very busy so the herbal teas would arrive when they had time! I said I'd be happy to go to the restaurant and fetch them myself, but was told, "No, they'll be with you soon." My parents are in their eighties and just wanted a hot drink before bed, so I ended up making ordinary tea for us all. Just as we were finishing our tea, the herbal teas arrived!

The quality of the food during our stay was variable. The dinner was presented well and served courteously. They didn't get the order right with some of the cheeses, and when we asked for hot milk for the coffee, we were presented with a full cup of frothy milk! The breakfast was average, although the lady managing it was very welcoming and efficient.

I wish I could give this hotel a better review but unfortunately our experiences prevent me from doing so. Granted, it was a Secret Escapes offer weekend, so could that be the reason for a disappointing experience? It is always the attention to detail and an awareness of your guests’ needs that encourages people to return. The fact that no one seemed to care that we were there for a special weekend, or not, was probably the most unforgiving part. If a greater level of care had been shown, I would have not been so damning about the sloppiness of the whole experience.

Room Tip: Request a lakeside view room and insist on a twin room at the time of booking, if you need one. Make...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
LakesideParkHotel, General Manager at Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your review and valuable feedback.

Firstly, please accept our sincere apologies for the unusual shortcomings that you experienced during your stay with us.

Our Secret Escapes Offer included "Executive Double Accommodation" which was confirmed by Secret Escapes at the time of booking.

I was sorry that Reception were unable to offer you a Twin Room when you advised us at Check-in. We would have been happy to have changed this if we had had the availability. The extra bed was provided to assist you with your requirements.

We have noted all of your detailed comments and taken immediate remedial action in the areas that you have highlighted. Lessons have been learnt by all our teams for the future.

We are disappointed that we have not fully met your expectations and you have not experienced our usual high level of hospitality and detail.
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Lakeside Park was very disappointing on almost every point you rate a hotel on.

For £130/night I had a ground floor room looking into the car park. The pillows felt like they were made of old sacks. I left the 'please clean my room' sign on my door from 9am until 3pm; it was not serviced. Over night there was an intermittent loud drilling/buzzing noise which I guess was some sort of water pump.

The breakfast staff were very busy loudly discussing their social lives; too busy in fact to tend to the restaurant patrons.

The 30 minute massage lasted for 23 minutes, and was at best not harmful to my health. On checking out an afternoon tea had been added to my spa treatment bill (incorrectly) - it took 3 phone calls and 10 minutes for the front desk staff to be convinced that I was in fact telling the truth and deduct the charge from my bill.

This hotel really coloured my impression of the Isle of Wight, which otherwise is inhabited by very friendly helpful people and fabulous places. Don't stay there, I'm sure for £130/night there is much better options available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights as holiday accomodation. Lovely hotel with very friendly staff. One of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. High quality food, good spa facilities. Booked standard double room and actually got a lakeview room.

Few areas worth mentioning which may be useful:

- our first room was relatively noisy. It was located directly opposite the staff entrance to the reception/office and we could hear the door being opened/closed regurally during the night. We assume this was the night porter, they were not being noisy as such but the sound of the door was disturbing. We asked to move to another room and that room was fine.

- Both the rooms we had had lumpy duvets, I have read this before in another review, very confortable beds & matresses but would be even nicer with a non lumpy duvet.

- As guests we were rather confused regarding the Oyster restuarant and Brasserie. We had assumed these were 2 different places with differing menus but actually there is only 1 menu (with daily specials) and all the food is served in the brasserie - I think the Oyster restuarant is reserved for private events? Either way very nice food.

- The appearence of the hotel from the outside is much more like a travelodge, or as another review said an old people's home, than a 4 star hotel/spa. The inside is much nicer although rather dated design for a relativly new build hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just got back from 3 nights at this delightful hotel. We had booked a Secret Escapes deal - to which we added accommodation for our 7 year old grandson (a z-bed was added to our room). The z-bed was sufficient and snug for our 7 year old (who is about the size of a 10 year old) but may not be suitable for an older child.

Cannot compliment the staff enough - everyone was professional and friendly - the new 'trainees' were equally friendly and full of enthusiasm. We ate in the dining room and found the food excellent - Restaurant Manager always managed to come up with a 'childrens' option at dinner that suited our Grandson or would adapt the set menu if required - very accommodating.

We had 2 spa treatments which were professionally delivered in very relaxing surroundings. The pool area was great - and only just along the corridor from our room on the Ground Floor (No.12) which was perfect for early morning and before-dinner swims. Given that we were awake by 7am - a pool opening time of 8.30am at the weekend was, perhaps, a little late but that is just us having a 'waterbaby' as a Grandson!

The grounds were very pleasant - although pretty water-logged at the time of our visit! We had ducks on our patio!

All in all a very comfortable, modern hotel - cannot really find any fault and we all loved it and wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend it. One particularly pleasant touch is that, although there was a wedding in the function suite during our stay - this is so far removed from the bedrooms that there was absolutely no noise or intrusion into the bedroom area at all.

Room Tip: Rooms 12 and 14 (there is no No. 13!) are right next to the pool on the Ground Floor - very convenie...
Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at the Lakeside to attend a Wedding at the venue.
We booked a two night bed and breakfast stay, ferry included, with dinner on one night which represented good value for money.
The food served at the Wedding was excellent although the service at the bar was poor.
The service at breakfast was poor with items not being replenished in a timely fashion and dishes ordered from the menu served cold.
The three course Dinner in the Brasserie ( included in our deal) at £18.95 represented excellent value but with limited choice.
The rooms were well equipped but the decoration and carpets were very tired. Indeed,the carpets throughout the hotel needed a good deep clean or replacing.
The natural views over the Lake are magnificient but the decking is in need of a good clean.
There was no consideration shown to Smokers who congregated at the entrances to Reception and The Brasserie. The management had decided that there would be no smoking to the rear overlooking the Lake.
Some of the staff were very professional others require training.
Spa treatments were OK.
The Hotel is in need of some investment

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lakeside Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!