“The Bus Shelter would have been better.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpipers Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Freshwater
Sandpipers Hotel
Freshwater Bay, Freshwater PO40 9QX, England   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Freshwater
London, United Kingdom
“The Bus Shelter would have been better.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

The ambiance and cleanlyness of the hotel was the same as the service,non existant. The bar staff were more interested in playing darts and the fruit machine than serving ;while the manageress sat and watched television in the bar on the big screen. The food was poor and I was awoken at 2,am by foul mouth drunken youths shouting in the car park after they had left some mascarade party that the hotel had put on. I can understand why it was a mascarade party because I would not want to be seen it there either. No wonder it has just gone bankrupt, perhaps they will get some decent staff next time who know what service is and a manageres who knows what she is doing

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

i stayed here 3 years ago it was ran pretty well but now i find the place a total shambles. its a shame to see the place like this. the staff are just a joke we waited so long for evening meal and no word of sorry, my fork had dried food on it from not being washed properly. my wife and i eat elsewhere to say the least. the two days we spent there are the worse days iv ever spent in a hotel its filthy dirty with rude staff. we even heard staff swearing in the bar. sorry buts thats not good. STAY AWAY FROM THE PLACE

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We booked in to the hotel on the basis of the services detailed on their website - and checked out as soon as we could find another hotel with availability. Our room was in the oldest part of the hotel on the top floor. The room is in serious need of update, with dated decor, curtains hanging off the rail, mis-matched and damaged furniture (bottom missing from a drawer and wardrobe hanging off plinth). Lots of small problems which could easily be solved - no hair dryer, no waste bin in the bathroom, rusty tea tray, no hangers, no glasses, only one bed side table, poor quality and mismatched linen. The hotel was very quiet and some of the amenities seemed not to be available, but what we were looking for was a quiet retreat with a good restuarant and wine list (as advertised). Breakfast was poorly presented, with no fresh fruit or yoghurts (that must be standard in most hotels?) and budget supermarket bread for toasting (we knew because it was presented in the wrapper). The evening meal was extremly disappointing; three main course choices which were very average and, according to the waitress' would be 'the same all week but they might change the stir-fry'. Of the two dessert options one wasn't available. The extensive wine list was a choice of house red, white or rose. My advice to the hotel management would be 'make it clear what you have to offer on your website and customers won't be disappointed'.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I have just spent 2 nights here to attend a wedding. I found my room in the newer part of the hotel very clean, comfortable and with tea, coffee making facilities. Breakfast was very filling. Cereals and fruit juice were self serve and a full English or any of its parts was offered ( I asked for scrambled eggs rather than fried and was told this was no problem) I loved the toaster where you can make your own toast ( better than having cold hard toast!) The young men came around the dining area offering fresh coffee.

The hotel also was the reception venue for the wedding I attended. A magnificent barbeque was provided - congratulations to the chef- and a buffet later in the evening. I may say that the wedding party and majority of their guests agree with me on my comments

I would say that the older residential part of the hotel is still having some problems with its facilities but the management anticipates that these will be ironed out very soon and I was told that they then also intend to add more guest facilities.

I have travelled extensively at home and worldwide and this hotel is better than many I have used in my travels.

• Stayed September 2010
crowthorne, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

The attention to detail was lacking which could have made an OK stay into a great one.
No glasses in the bathroom, no hotel information in the room so we had to ask the time for breakfast, couldn't locate a menu for the evening meal. For £115 a night I don't expect to have to make my own toast at breakfast!

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Henfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I struggled to rate this hotel. It would have been easy to rate it as terrible in some ways, but the staff seem to try so hard. Their efforts could have pushed the rate up to average, but that would be generous. The hotel seems to have changed hands and is undergoing redecoration of the public areas. We stayed a couple of nights and it was long enough. Breakfast was a dissaster due to the lack of staff. The one chap covered 20 tables tried very hard, but could not be expected to cope. The management need much better organisation of what is one of the most important parts of any hotel stay.

I expect that the rooms will be next to be updated and I think that once they have been and provided the service at breakfast gets sorted, the reviews will improve.

In the meantime I would not arrive with very high expectations as its not there yet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I gave this an extra rating point because I complained and got a refund otherwise it would have been the lowest rating. On arrival we found that the shower head was broken, this was replaced but there was a bit of fuss and drama about it. When we went to bed the slats broke and we had a terrible night's sleep and my wife was forced to sleep with my daughter in the sofa bed. We are not overweight and we had not been jumping around in the bed! There was one young man running around at breakfast trying to serve everyone, I think there should have been more people there serving. On the plus side after complaining about the bed I received a sizeable discount for our trouble. However, most people (ourselves included) would have just preferred a good experience and pay the full price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sandpipers Hotel? Share your experiences!