“Not great” 2 of 5 stars

01983 752257
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 21 restaurants in Freshwater
Cuisines: English
Description: Fish and chip shop.
Description: Fish and chip shop.
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

A long wait, there is a queuing system that no one really tells you about (waiting for orders at one end, placing orders at the other) so we changed queues three times in confusion and no one helped us. In their defence, they were quite busy. The fish was distinctly average with a fairly soggy batter, and the chips were not very nice- we went on the night we arrived to our holiday cottage so my children hadn't eaten for some time but they still pushed the chips aside. Not great.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Portsmouth, England
“Try elsewhere.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We had to wait ages the last time we stopped off for fish and chips at our usual chippie, so decided to give Rainbow a go. Average fish - rather greasy batter, but the chips....oh the chips!.... the best description I can manage is 'a bag full of shrapnel'. My wife just described them as 'disgusting'. There were hardly any 'proper' chips amongst them. Were I not faced with a two mile trip back to return them, I would have - but instead I will vote with my feet.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Freshwater, United Kingdom
“Yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Friendly and efficient service. Delicious chips. Love the pea fritter, great idea. Good value for money. I have heard that people regularly travel from the other side of the Island to buy their fish and chips here, and I can believe it's true. Keep up the good work guys.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Really ???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011 via mobile

Started badly when they made me wait 5 minutes in the torrential rain before they opened at 5 o'clock.
Can't say they were particularly friendly when I eventually got inside.
Batter was good and crispy, the way I like it, unfortunately the fish wasn't much thicker than the batter and not very good either.
Then I was charged the same price as I pay for a far superior product in North London.
Didn't and never will go back or recommend

• 2 of 5 stars Food
“Snobby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011 via mobile

I do use this place although the lady who owns needs to realise we're paying her to keep the place running every time I go in there she speaks to you as if it is a luxury to be served by her it should be the other way around!! I have seen better portions for less prices and the fish looks like birds eye!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere