“Our chilly April break - so glad we upgraded to central heating!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cowes
Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Thorness Lane | Thorness, Cowes PO31 8NJ, England   |
Thatcham, United Kingdom
“Our chilly April break - so glad we upgraded to central heating!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We've just returned from a 4 night stay at Thorness Bay. We had a lovely few days on the island but it was so cold! I made the decision last minute to upgrade to a Gold Plus caravan and I'm so glad we did - we were toasty warm and the caravan was fab.

We stayed in the Solent Village area of the park. As we arrived at our caravan, a man was carrying out a maintenance check and informed us that our caravan was brand new and had just been installed. We were the first people to stay there - Lovely! The fixtures and fittings etc were top notch and it looked and felt like a small apartment rather than a caravan. However, I don't believe we were the first to stay in the caravan - on closer inspection there were food crumbs and Rice Krispies on the seating! I spent a couple of minutes sweeping all the crisps, crumbs and bits of food off the bench seating and the place felt like new again. The window sills etc were covered with a thin layer of dust so if I did have a gripe, it would be that it needed a going over with a cloth and Hoover, regardless of how "new" it actually was.

The park itself was good - the pool was small but our daughter enjoyed having a splash around. Watch out for the condensation if you're spectating though, it drips from the ceiling!

We didn't make use of the kids club faculties or bingo etc so I can't really comment on that aspect. We went to the kids entertainment on the first evening and unfortunately a power cut meant that we had to evacuate the whole building. We tried again on the second night but our daughter (5) wasn't really interested. The other children there seemed to be having fun though.

We used the bar on a couple of occasions but didn't eat there - the food looked nice though.

All in all, the park was a good base from which to explore the beautiful island - we would stay again. Nothing to rave about but we had a lovely time :)

• Stayed April 2013

589 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We just wanted a base to stay in on the island whilst visiting relatives for Easter at short notice. We stayed in a chalet, which was freezing and in need of a bit of tlc. One bed had used tissues, glow sticks and a Super Mario game under it and another had springs poking through the mattress. Getting anything to work was a challenge: grill wouldn't work, shower required significant experimentation and toilet-roll holder had broken.

Hadn't planned on seeing the entertainment but got back early one night and dared to ask a member of staff what was on: "Haven't you got your pack with you?" was the answer. It was like forgetting to take a text book to a school lesson. Anyway, I dragged the info out of the person and it was a Lady Gaga tribute night, amongst the 'Kamp Krew' entertainment. Beth McGarry as Lady Gaga was great. However the Kamp Krew, led by a woman you'd pay to stay indoors was a travesty: two great dancers led by someone whose job it was to criticise them publicly whilst not being able to sing, dance or engage the audience in any way. I'm sure she's very nice but get her some training before the others give in.

On the last day our dog was attacked outside the camp shop by a feral Staffie whose owner admitted couldn't ever be let off a lead but had got away from him. Not a perfect ending to a very average stay.

Didn't complain about anything at the time as chalet needed rebuilding, not just a flick of a duster.

Everything you do comes with a dose of sales propaganda to buy a caravan there, and there are many ads around the site with random facts about people who do buy being assured of ascendancy to heaven.

We survived. Can't ask much more than that really.

• Stayed March 2013
Park R, General Manager at Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hi SidcupLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am so disappointed to hear that your accommodation was not up to our usual high standard on this occasion and I would like to sincerely apologise for this. I would encourage reporting such issues to us whilst you are on Park so that we have the opportunity to rectify it, and send Housekeeping to clean the unit once again, or if necessary relocate you to new accommodation so that you can continue to enjoy your holiday how you would expect to. It appears that our usual high standards have been overlooked and as a result of your feedback I will be raising this with the Housekeeping Manager to ensure that our processes and check-off lists are being adhered to at all times and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

All our entertainment staff are fully trained and work hard to provide a varied entertainment programme but unable to please everyone. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it, I will pass your feedback on to the entertainment department.

The park is a dog friendly park as in our bronze caravans we do allow pets, but it is the owners personal responsibility for them and their behaviour on site.

I do hope that you may return to visit Thorness Bay to allow us to reinstall your faith in our Park, as I can assure you that lots of our customers return year after year and experience a fantastic time.

Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I went to Thorness Bay Caravan site with a close friend over the Easter break. We had left it rather late to book so had to settle for basic Bronze accommodation. As everyone will remember the weather was freezing, had been for some weeks and forecast to stay cold for some time. Nevertheless, the only heating was a gas fire in the living area; the bedrooms and bathroom were dire. We went to bed fully-clothed AND wearing our dressing gowns (thank God I had brought them). According to health and safety in the work-place the temperature would have been deemed as unworkable. The caravan itself was clean but VERY cramped.

The following day we went in to Newport to buy a small heater - and, guess what, most of the stores had sold out - to holiday makers in caravans at Thorness Park.

Food on the first night was OK, although there was only one till open to take orders. Cost of drinks was good as I had 'house' gin instead of a proper brand name. As our break coincided with the Easter Holidays it was unfortunate that the restaurant was similar to a playground with many children running about - the noise was deafening. OK, if you have kids of your own, I suppose.

Evening entertainment, the same every night, was centred around the children again plus a bit of bingo, but nothing much else.

The setting was beautiful, amongst loads of oak trees - I should imagine it would be lovely in the summer. Perhaps I would reconsider going to Thorness Bay in the summer and chose a more luxurious caravan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Delmere C,

Thank you for your feedback of Thorness Bay. I’m sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your holiday expectations, on this occasion.

The cold weather that we have been experiencing has been worse than normal for this time of year and this could be why many places had sold out of heaters as everyone is experiencing the same freezing temperatures. The level of heating in caravans is different in each of the grades.

With it being a main holiday season there are a lot of families staying on resort as we are a family friendly park hence the amount of children running around.

We have live Cabaret acts 4 nights a week as well as our in house entertainment team who provide fun for all. All our entertainment staff are fully trained and work hard to provide a varied entertainment programme but unable to please everyone.

The setting here is lovely all year round and we look forward to welcoming you back in the summer so we can reinstall your faith in our Park, as I can assure you that lots of our customers return year after year and experience a fantastic time

Kind Regards
Ruislip
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a silver plus caravan. Was a good size, had everything we needed and was lovely and clean. We got a caravan just across from the entertainment centre. The kids loved the entertainment and the pool was nice and warm. I do think a few more toys in the baby pool for smaller kids would be nice during the fun session. Food in Boathouse was good and all staff very friendly and helpful. Especially when we had to rearrange our ferry as we had car trouble! Thanks for a nice Easter weekend.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here the week before Easter which was very cold - don't think it got over 3 or 4 degrees, so my experiences may have been better in nicer weather!

We stayed in a 3 bed gold plus. We chose this grade because firstly the reviews on the lower grades put us off, and secondly we did think that the end of March may still be a little chilly at night, so the heating would be useful - little did we know how cold it was going to be! The caravan in question was very nice - decent size pitch with parking along side, quite modern, nice decent TV, clean, and thanks to the heating, warm and cozy, however, the spec for this grade includes a DVD player which we didn't have - my kids had bought some of their DVD's with them, but as we couldn't remember if the DVD player should have been there we never mentioned it to the staff.

The park itself appears to be fairly well kept, and although it was fairly sloped in places it isn't as bad as some of the other reviews make out. We were a fair way out from the main complex in Solent Village, but even from there the walk was fine and not to far.

OK, so far so good, but now for the less positive aspects.
The entertainment was pretty poor, and only managed to hold the attention of the 2 and 4 year old in our group - the other children with us (6 - 11) found it really boring (and they have previously enjoyed the entertainment at Butlins, Haven, and Parkdean sites) The conga once was OK, but every night?

The pictures on the website of the pool are deceptive - they make the pool appear larger than it really is. It was great for the younger kids, but the older more water confident kids became bored quite quickly.

On the last night of our stay there was a problem with the Gas supply to our van (and many others) which resulted in our heating not working, and not being able to use the cooker / hobs. One member of staff told me they had run out of gas, but at checkout we were told a pipe had broken. Either way it negated us paying the extra for a van with heating which we couldn't use, but at no point did the staff apologize. Perhaps they had been faced with lots of irate customers, but it left me not feeling valued as a customer.

Last moan ( I promise) was that when my 2 boys took part in the organised football training the "coach" really appeared to be pretty disinterested and made no effort to engage and encourage the kids. It was very cold and perhaps she was having a bad day.........

In summary a nice park for families with kids up to school age, but much older may find the park a bit boring. Would have given it a 4* rating if the pool was a bit bigger, and the entertainment a bit more "entertaining"

Room Tip: If the weather might be cold when you travel then pick a grade with heating!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The staff gave conflicting answers to questions when I asked if we could move nearer to the facilities as my elderly mother and disabled son had difficulties walking, not a good start! We had to drive around the complex which meant we couldn't enjoy a holiday tipple! It would have been basic good manners for the resort information to include suitability for less able or active visitors prior to booking. I now have no confidence in park resorts.

Hi 1234sons,

Thank you for your feedback, I am very sorry to hear that you have lost faith in Park Resorts.

All requests made at the time of booking are not guaranteed as we do confirm with our guests, but we do try our upmost to accommodate all our customer needs. Guest satisfaction is very important to us, so I can only apologise.

I do hope that you may return to visit Thorness Bay or one of our other parks to allow us to reinstall your faith in our Park, as I can assure you that lots of our customers return year after year and experience a fantastic time.

STAFFORD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here for a short break just before Easter and stayed in a Gold plus caravan and can have no complaints,the caravan was spacious clean and well equipped,some of the other accomodation on the site looked a little old and dated and in need of upgrading so be wary of what you are booking and remember you get what you pay for!!The site is very large and set on a hillside so anybody with mobility problems needs to beaware of this.Where we were situated meant it was a very long trek to the pool and even further to reception!!!There is a pleasant walk to the beach but it is not a beach you would want to spend the day on as its very narrow stretch of sandy shingle,[the best beaches are on the other side of the island]The site is a bit isolated with very little going on around you but as a base it was ok. did we enjoy our stay? yes but would we return ? no,im sure there are better sites on the island.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HI Haroldstafford,

Thank you for your review . Sorry to hear that you would not return but I am glad that you enjoy the benefits of booking a Gold plus Caravan for the space. All our accommodation is different grades but the standard of cleanliness and customer service is of the highest.

The site is situated in a lovely position for walks and a great base to explore the gems of the Isle of Wight.

I am sorry that you feel you wouldn’t return but having said this I do hope you will enjoy many more holidays at other Park Resorts parks.

Kind regards
Park Resorts

Been to Thorness Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!