“Grubby Cafe but with nice plain grub.” 3 of 5 stars

01983 293093
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 49 Restaurants in Cowes
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Grubby Cafe but with nice plain grub.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were passing through Cowes on our way back to the ferry and looking for some afternoon eats. We'd missed the closing of most eateries but found the Watch House still open.

It's an "Only in Britain" type cafe. Somewhat grubby - particularly when you have to head to the loos. However the kitchen must be in better nick as they have 5 out of 5 on the health inspection certificate.

We did not get off to a good start when my daughter and I ordered thick shakes. What turned up were two glasses of weak milk with grit in them. I pointed out they were not quite right, which resulted in our surly teen waitress (Isle of Wight seems to have a lot of surly waitresses for some reason) said, "don't you want them?", snatched them away and disappeared, never to be heard from again.

I was able to flag down one of the more mature ladies working that day, and it was like chalk and cheese. She was very helpful, put things to right and had personality to spare.

You won't go hungry here. My wife had coronation chicken baked spud, my daughter had lasagne and chips (lots of chips) and I a home made steak and kidney pie with another mountain of chips.

We rounded off with some cake - not quite as moist as it looked, but again plentiful and certainly edible.

So the place is not fine cuisine, but there's plenty to choose from on the menu and the prices are reasonable. If you've a hunger to fill and don't mind some frayed edges to your dining experience then head to some unpretentious British Grub at The Watch House.

• Visited November 2013