“The Best Kept Secret in Hertfordshire” 5 of 5 stars

Pendley Manor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cow Lane, Tring HP23 5QY, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Tring
Essex
“The Best Kept Secret in Hertfordshire”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife & I have stayed at this wonderful, charming Manor House hotel many many times and are hoping to go back again in a couple of weeks. We cannot say enough goods things about this place. All the staff are so helpful and friendly.The heated indoor swimming pool is gorgeous and when the weather is good, it so nice to sit on the sun loungers outside the pool area and relax. The grounds of the manor house are very beautiful, with many peacocks roaming freely around. We always book dinner, bed and breakfast and have enjoyed every meal we have had. The breakfasts are especially nice! There is so much choice available.
We can't wait to go back and enjoy a nice bottle of Laurent Perrier Rose in the bar or in the Rose Gardens watching one of the many weddings.
Ian & Louise

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Ian C Thanks for visiting us again and for your positive review. It is a particular pleasure to welcome back our returning guests. I am delighted to read that we did not disappoint and that you again enjoyed every aspect of your stay.
I and my colleagues are looking forward to your imminent visit – the Laurent Perrier Rose is already in ice awaiting you!

431 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Good location in a country manor close enough to London to catch the train in but far enough away to be a reasonable cost and fairly spacious rooms etc. In fairness it is more of a wedding venue and romantic getaway than a business hotel and they certainly lack the ability to provide basic office services such as scanning etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bruce S; Thank you for your comments, it is a particular pleasure to welcome our overseas guests. Thanks for your positive remarks. I’m sorry that you appear to have experienced some difficulty in having a document scanned, I really don’t know why that was a problem on this occasion but wanted to assure you that we are indeed able to provide these services to our guests. I hope you had a good return journey to New Zealand and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our country.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The misses and I just wanted a relaxing break and that’s what we got!

Research:

Sophia took my booking and she was very helpful as I had wanted a four poster room but she advised me for an £10 I could get an Executive, I then went on the off chance to see the difference in rooms and Elaine showed me the two rooms and the facilities.

The four posters are nice but only come in at a double bed size as I’m 6’3 I wanted a little extra room so went for the more spacious Executive room with the larger X2 double beds together size bed and plenty of room, there and then I requested room 220 which they held for me.

Weekend:

We checked in at 14:30 and that was quick and easy, I was also asked if I would like a paper for the following morning and breakfast in bed (extra £2pp).

As it was a beautiful Saturday and the sun was out we decided to walk around the grounds taking in the beautiful scenery, and looking for the infamous Peacocks (8 on-site).
The grounds have some nice wooded areas if you want to have a private smooch or drink and it’s also well maintained, please take the time to do this its so peaceful.

The rooms are dated but that being said I never felt short changed.
The shower is ok but its runs off the mains so there is not much power but it does the job.

I was informed that they are currently in the process of renovating but with 73 rooms it will take time.

The lady on the reception was more then helpful when I requested train times and provided me with to and from times.

Summery:

Pendley Manner is an old Hotel and with that you have to take the good and the bad, and their really ain’t that much bad.

We had a wonderful night and a good, relaxing stay.

Room Tip: I was in room 220 which is an Executive. The room is located at the front of the hotel over looki...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rocwild, thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. It is good to read that your encounters with various member of the team were positive and helpful. We are all pleased that you both had such an enjoyable stay; we look forward to welcoming you back very soon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I had booked a romantic one night break for me and my partner.
On entrance we were politely greeted (although it took a while to be noticed) and our bags were carried up to our room for us.
The room was beautiful, with a four poster bed and beautiful antique furniture, the only fault with the room was that some of the furniture was a bit battered but personally I felt this added to the antique, old fashioned effect.
The grounds and inside the hotel were absolutely beautiful with a grand staircase and chandelier!
We had dinner included on the night, we were served the most beautiful food and the service was excellent, definitely worth it's rating.
My only disappointment was breakfast the next morning, we arrived down at about 9o clock and there was little food left, the food clearly had not been refilled since breakfast had started! The hot buffet was reasonably stock, but there was very little cold food such as fruit left, which was something I was looking forward to!
All in all a great break away and I will defiantly be returning in the near future.

• Stayed April 2013
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you Bubbles-sb for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
It is great to read that you and your partner had such an enjoyable stay: your remarks concerning your accommodation, dinner and service are much appreciated and will be shared with my colleagues. I am sorry to read that the selection of fruit etc was depleted when you came down for breakfast. The buffet is replenished during the course of service and should be as plentiful at 9 am as it was at 7. I will follow that through with the restaurant team, thank you for bringing you observation to my attention.
Delighted to read that you will be returning soon, we look forward to welcoming you back
St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had three rooms for a couple of nights for my family and while they were adequately appointed, it was all a little bit old fashioned. Not 1880 characer old fashioned, but 1980 and all that this implies. The room rate is reasonable and the service cna be very good, the bar is well stocked and the food especially the breakfast is excellent, but it could all do with some investment to make sure things like Wifi reach all rooms, and air con in this day and age for a hotel with this level of ambition should be essential.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DeeEss23; Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are currently in the process of planning the next phase of a refurbishment which will take plave in the coming months. Thank you also for your positive feedback concerning both levels of service and out food and beverage offering.
I do hope to be able to welcome you back soon
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

we stayed here on an overnight to take advantage of the family package with Whipsnade.

I had stayed at the hotel before on a work conference, so was aware of Pendley Manor, and this time as then, there was nothing that makes this hotel stand out from other manor house hotels such as Luton Hoo, etc.

having said that, the room rates were fabulous with the Whipsnade entry, and the staff courteous and helpful.

My only complaint was the kids menu was the worst combination of overpriced and poor quality. i wouldnt feed my dog the chicken nuggets as they were processed, freezer chicken nuggets that were a joke at £8.25 for a kids meal ? the front desk tried to act surprised but i doubt that they ever order from the kids menu to see the service station food being served for kids being passed off as suitable. I expected more from the standard on offer in the hotel restaurant, as i've eaten dinner and lunch in the hotel restaurant and found it to be top drawer. just need to actually have cooked food for the kids menu instead of freezer food !

great wifi in the rooms and staff, would definitely stay again given the same day out package.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you shukimon for taking the time to review your stay with us. Whilst I am pleased to read that you found your “Whipsnade” package good value and found my colleagues courteous and friendly, and of course to learn that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant. I am so sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with our Children’s Menu – as a consequence I have asked Chef to review this as soon as possible. Notwithstanding your remarks regarding the chicken nuggets ( which are the most popular item on that menu) there are other items on offer – including fresh fruit, homemade soup, fish and a homemade pasta dish. Chef is also happy to cook anything else provided that he has the ingredients available.
I do however take your point and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I’m delighted that you intend to stay with us again, please do contact me personally when you do, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back.
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have stayed at Pendley Manor twice now, once last year the day after my wedding and then earlier this week for a work 'away day'. My overall feeling regarding this hotel is that it has phenomenal potential that it isn't quite reaching.

The setting is beautiful, as a re the communal areas but the rooms and bathrooms are tired and in need of refurbishment. My room, 114, was gorgeous but SO uncomfortable that I didn't sleep at all - although part of that blame lies with the peacocks who crowed constantly throughout the night.

For the lunch, dinner and breakfast the food was good but the tables were set for 10 people and were completely impractical for anyone to eat comfortably.

I'm not sure I would stay here again after having two bad sleeping experiences. I would definitely come to an event but would probably book a room where there were no peacocks within hearing distance!

Room Tip: 114 is a nice room but does overlook the carpark so if you want a lie-in it might not be the best.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you KatiH83 for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am sorry that you didn’t sleep well and would be very interested to learn what is was that you found particularly uncomfortable in your room.
Please do contact me personally at the Hotel so that I can identify and rectify the specific issues and hopefully be in a position to invite you back so as to restore your confidence in our Hotel.
I look forward to speaking – Thanks again for your valuable feedback

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!