“When rooms refurbished I will go back” 3 of 5 stars

Pendley Manor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cow Lane, Tring HP23 5QY, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tring
London, England, United Kingdom
“When rooms refurbished I will go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

The rooms and some parts of the common.areas are old , tired and very much in need of refurbishment. Refurbishment seems to be in progress, part by part. The room we were in was very tired indeed, no minibar, old tv, old flowery wallpaper. Not even fridge or bottle of water. Old brass worn light fittings.

That being said, it is undeniable that the old girl has a certain charm to her. The grounds are lovely , got to see the peacocks. What really won me over though was dinner, it was exceptional.

The newly rerbushed parts are very good, when completed we will go back, but only to a refurbished room.

Ps free WiFi was provided.

• Stayed November 2012
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
• BarryM157;Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. Firstly the positive – as you say the “Old Girl” certainly has her charms; she has been around since the late 1800’s after all. Needless to say I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed the grounds, met the peacocks, liked those areas which we have so far refurbished and appreciated the complimentary wifi service. Thanks in particular for your “exceptional” rating of dinner – Chef will be as to read that.
As for our bedrooms – whilst I wouldn’t entirely disagree that they would benefit from updating to a more contemporary, I can’t help feeling that you are perhaps a little hard on us; of course all such reviews are subjective and equally appreciated. The phased refurbishment of bedrooms is very much at the front of our minds and I hope to be in a position to welcome you back to one of our new rooms in the non-too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Poole, Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for the second time, first was when visiting Whipsnade Zoo and this time when going to the Leavesden Studios for the HP tour.

The main part of the hotel is a really pretty historic building with all the old fireplaces and panelling. Floors in the rooms are a bit creaky but what you would expect from an old property. Rooms were clean & tidy with good amenities, bed was quite firm but not uncomfortably so.

Breakfast was included in our booking and provided a good choice. Great value overall and a lovely countryside location within easy driving distance of attractions.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
• hinesadapo; it is always a pleasure to welcome back our returning guests, I’m pleased that you enjoyed your most recent visit and thank you for your positive review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on many occasions as a business base.

It provides a good base, good well sized rooms, good dining room and all for a reasonable price.

The rooms are pretty well equipped and the ensuite were well equipped too

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Edge1959; Thank you for your review, it is good to read that you continue to enjoy your visits, and find Pendley Manor to be a convenient base.
We hope to welcome you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Just returned to Ireland following a two night stay in Pendley manor. Staff were extremely professional bar staff friendly great food and decor fantastic. Room was clean and shower was full on. Could do with a flat screen tv upgrade. the only down side I could find in my two days was a flat pint of London Pride ale after my dinner !everything else was absolutely top class. Would highly recommend to anyone passing by and needing a room for the night.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Seamus L; Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. It is very encouraging to read your kind comments, which I will share with my colleagues. I hope you will visit us again when business brings you to this part of the world.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The decor of this hotel is tired. I had a poor experience in that the room I was staying in caused runny eyes and nose and tightness of breath - assume it was because the room harboured a lot of dust. Television channel changer was broken - minor stuff but felt symptomatic of a broader attitude. Front desk staff were very pleasant and grounds are lovely but wouldn't recommend staying there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Citydweller51; Thank you for this review, and also for speaking with me yesterday. I am sorry that you appear to have suffered some form of allergic reaction and do hope that you recovered quickly.

As I explained yesterday I was able to check and confirm that the room which you occupied had been properly serviced prior to your arrival, this would include the usual dusting and thorough vacuum cleaning of the room.
In so far as I can ascertain, there would seem to be no logical justification leading you to the assumption that your unfortunate reaction was a consequence of dust in the room as opposed to any other cause.

I am of course pleased that you found my colleagues to be very pleasant and was delighted to hear from your hosts that the event which you attended was considered to have been a great success.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

In late September three couples returned to Pendley Manor for the third consecutive year for a golf outing. The facilities are very special, including the restaurant and Shakespeare Bar. The service is great and the people there can't do enough for you. Enjoyed coffee in the conservatory, lunch on the patio, drinks in the bar and dinner in the restaurant. We will be back every year at that time. Would not consider staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room in the area closest to the grand fireplace. We like the rooms facing the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Newmanknight- Thanks for taking out to comment on your latest visit; it is lovely to welcome back our returning guests, all the more so when they have made a long journey to visit. I and my colleagues are so pleased to read that your journey all the way from Minnesota was worthwhile and look forward to welcoming you back for your fourth trip next autumn
St. Neots, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We have just returned home after a 2 night stay at Pendley Manor. We booked via the hotel's website but paid slightly more than we envisaged but was advised this was due to the room not being available on 1 night at the reduced rate (£70) We paid £90 per night inc use of leisure facilities & full breakfast. We had a four poster room also.
We arrived at the hotel an hour early. We were advised the room was ready and a porter offered to take our bags. We were advised we had a lovely room 102. Receptionist was cheery. Breakfast times advised. Porter carried bags and showed us where the restaurant was on the way to our room. The room was spacious.but very hot, however there was 2 stand alone fans in the room which we put on straight away. Only 1 window opened properly. There were around 20 flies. This was disasppointing having said that on a call to reception within 10 minutes the porter had arrived with fly spray. and they quickly disappeared!
I was very disappointed with the bathroom in general but particularly the shower. On using it it was quite slow. This was adequate and I am used to a power shower so this may be why. The tv channel's were limited but again adequate. The bed was very comfortable and there was enough pillows. The furniture could be updated but I understand that it is in keeping with the hotel's look and age. There was free wifi throughout the hotel - a real bonus.
Food wise, breakfast (7am - 9:30am) was excellent. Full English, cereal, fruit, continental items I was very happy with the quality and selection. We ate out on the first night at a local indian, This was due to the prices in the restaurant but that is of personal cirumstance of course. We ate in the Shakespeare bar on night 2 and paid £13 for a burger and chips. It tasted great but again a little steep for us. The drinks were pricey for us but suited to the 4 star establishment this hotel is. I want to make a special mention for Laura the barmaid who was very friendly and was more than happy to have a chat and made us feel at home.
Spa facilities - having been a spa "virgin" I was happy with the facilities but I agree with the other reviews in that the hallway to the steam room and saune from the pool area was quite scary and seemed a bit strange, I do believe that the hotel is undergoing refurb though and we did see signs of this whilst we were there. The Spa bath was our favourite and again the pool was adequate for us. I do appreciate that customers who frequent spa's could be a little disappointed. with the facilities on offer. We did not have any treatments so can't comment on that.
Surroundings - lovely peaceful and the peacocks roaming the grounds were very pretty. I did not hear any sounds from them during the night.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay at Pendley Manor and if we had the money again would perhaps come back. It was good value for money as a whole though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks, FoxyBoxy018 for taking the time to write such a positive review. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, appreciating the tranquil surroundings and the facilities of the Hotel.
I do hope that you will come again, and see for yourself the progress we are making in refurbishing our lovely old property.

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!