“Beautiful building with fabulous food and friendly staff.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Pendley Manor Hotel to your Saves list
Pendley Manor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cow Lane, Tring HP23 5QY, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tring
“Beautiful building with fabulous food and friendly staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011 via mobile

I have wanted to visit pendley manor for sometime and when finally I had a great excuse to go with my boyfriend who had been away for 6 weeks I booked it. I wanted to do the whole works, champane in the room, spa treatments and dinner etc. I was looking forward to my stay so much I was a little worried it wouldn't live up to my high expectations but it really did and some more. From arrival to departure we were treated like VIPs, our room was extremely comfortable and spacious. We relaxed and had lunch in the beautiful peacock lounge which put me in good stead for the rest of my stay. I had a full body massage in the spa which was fabulous and even though the walls are very thin so you can hear the other beautician doing manicures outside, it really didn't spoil my treatment in the slightest. Now I am a complete food snob so I was excited about dinner and as I expected it was delicious, I just didn't want to stop eating. The service was friendly and professional. Even the buffet breakfast was a massive hit after a very pleasant nights sleep. Overall it was a wonderful and memorable stay, well worth the money. The only bad thing about staying at Pendley Manor was having to leave.

• Stayed November 2011
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
• HappyVicki
Thanks for your review – what a joy to read that you’re much anticipated and long overdue visit was so enjoyable. I am delighted that your high expectations were exceeded in all respects.
Looking forward to welcoming you back – maybe sooner rather than later!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
st albans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at Pendley Manor for 2 nights and had great stay. It is true the rooms are more shabby than chic, though they are clean and large - ours had a 4 poster bed. We spoke to the receptionist about this on departure and there are more recently refurbished rooms which they can try to reserve for you, and a large refurb programme is due to start next year 2012. If they refurb them to the standard of the communal areas downstairs they will be modern, light and tasteful. The grounds are attractive and extensive with a dozen or so peacocks roaming the grounds. Whenever we needed the staff they were really helpful and polite. The food in the restaurant was excellent - we had dinner from the set menu and it was excellent. For the price i thought it was good value, but the a la carte was a lot more. Breakfast was a really good spread of hot and cold, although hot could have been hotter. Spa treatments must be booked as only one masseur was available during our stay, and not at all on the Tuesday, the pool and spa pool were both lovely, and guests can join in classes Pilates / Yoga etc FOC. We had a lovely walk along the canal taking in Aldbury, and a lovely pub lunch at the Grand junction at Bullborne. Not much going on in Tring that we could see apart from the museum, that we would have visited had we had our daughter with us, but both Berkhampsted and Wendover were lovely towns to visit nearby. I thought the hotel good value considering you can pay that for a decent bed and breakfast, and if they hold their prices after the refurb, it will be excellent value. We will definitely return next year to see how it has changed.

Room Tip: ask for a refurbed room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
jfoxStAlbans
Thanks for taking time to review your stay with us; I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and that you both enjoyed our food along with your experiences at the spa. We do redecorate our bedrooms on a rolling basis – and indeed plan to begin a substantial refurbishment of our bedroom stock next year which will involve much more than redecoration.
As you say the surrounding villages and countryside are beautiful and particularly so at this time of year when the autumn colours can be quite stunning. I would recommend a walk in the forests of Ashridge during your next visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

On arrival we were a little surprised that there was no ramp access, with a push chair in tow this was difficult with 2 sets of steps to enter the main part of the hotel.

We went to celebrate a birthday & had a private dining hall. The party was around 20 people. The food was average & sadly is nothing to recommend, but the service was very friendly & efficient.

We had a double room with a travel cot. The room was spacious but was surprisingly tired & could do with a revamp as paint was peeling and the carpet was old. The room also had no air conditioning and even though it was late October we had to leave the window open over night as the room was over 25 degrees hot (& the radiator was off....!)

The pool & jacuzzi were nice and the grounds were lovely with peacocks roaming around.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Pipski101
Thank you for posting your review, and indeed for your kind comments concerning the service you encountered and about our spa and grounds.
I do take your point regarding the steps at our main entrance, the Hotel is a grade 2 listed building and balancing heritage with practicality can sometimes be a challenge.
We do however have a fully ramped access at our other entrance and in any event I would have hoped that as is usually the case my staff would have assisted you on arrival with your pushchair. I am sorry that this evidently was not the case.
Both Chef and I are very disappointed to read that you felt the food was only average. We do host quite a number of family celebrations and your review does not indicate when this particular event took place, consequently we have not been able to follow up on your observation. Certainly we have not had any adverse comments at all form any of the “event organisers” which I would have expected had we failed to meet expectations.
I would be grateful if you could contact me at the Hotel and let me know the date so that we can follow up further on this.
I look forward to speaking in person and in the meantime thank you for both posting your review and in alerting me to this issue which I am anxious to investigate further
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I wanted to take my two daughters-in-law away on a weekend spa break and chose Pendley Manor for this occasion. I am so glad that I chose Pendley above all the other well known spa places which we have frequented in the past.We stayed in a large double executive room, where two full sized single beds were installed for us so that no-one had to be on their own. There was still plenty of room left for a dining table and chairs, along with a sofa and two armchairs!!! All the usual facilities were in the room along with plenty of lovely white fluffy towels. The whole weekend was memorable with excellent treatments and facilities. The food was fantastic, well presented and far beyond our expectations. The staff were very friendly, always had a ready smile and nothing was too much trouble and we were certainly made to feel very welcome. We would definitely recommend Pendley for a very relaxing break set amongst beautiful grounds.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor at the front and although it overlooked the car park, it was very p...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Jacko02:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and recommending Pendley Manor to others. Our Spa is quite small which means that it does not usually get too busy, that in turn makes for a nice quiet and relaxing experience. I’m pleased that you and your daughters in law had such a nice time with us, and that your room was spacious enough to accommodate you all in comfort. It’s good to read that your experience in our restaurant exceeded expectations and that as I would hope to be the case my colleagues delivered a great service with a friendly smile.
Thanks for those lovely comments which I will share with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

This is a really nice hotel. The staff were very friendly. Our room was comfy with a 4 poster bed, tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits! The only problem I had was trying to regulate the shower - it was either freezing cold or scalding hot and the pressure wasnt fantastic but thats just me being picky as my husband wasnt a bit bothered by it.
The breakfast was really nice, buffet style and lots of different options.
We were staying at the hotel for a friends wedding and it couldnt have been more perfect for them, the different function rooms are all authentically decorated and you feel as if you have stepped into a period drama with Peacocks roaming the grounds.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
MissT1981:

Thanks for your review; feedback from our guests is invaluable to me in assessing our performance and in identifying areas in which we can do better.

I’m glad you found your room confortable and the team friendly. As a part of our future bedroom upgrade we will be addressing what can sometimes be temperamental shower controls. Most importantly it is good to read that your friend’s wedding was successful, and that the happy couple along with their guests had an enjoyable day with us

Thanks for your feedback.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We have just spent 4 nights at Pendley Manor as a short break following a long convalescence from a major operation. As with all the other reviewers the rooms are a bit dated but nowhere can be up to date all the time and it was clean and very comfortable. We had a 4 poster room overlooking the tennis courts (room 104) which was really peaceful (except for the 1st night thanks to an extremely rowdy pharmaceuticals company who also tried to book £80 of drinks onto our room - well done to the bar man for checking it with my husband when he luckily came in shortly after!). We really enjoyed looking out at the peacocks, rabbits, squirrels and woodpecker (there is even a friendly cat who visits). The pool is great and so is the jacuzzi and I had a lovely pedicure from Jade in the Spa who was really friendly and professional. All the staff were extremely efficient and friendly and it was great that there always seemed to be a lot of them around - at breakfast they were constantly removing plates and checking the buffet.
All in all we really enjoyed it and had a great break pottering around the Bucks countryside.

Room Tip: I can recommend those at the back overlooking the tennis courts.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Louise R :

Thank you Louise. I’m glad that you found your break with us relaxing and peaceful, hopefully just what you needed to help you convalesce. I am sorry that you were disturbed by our other guests on the first night, and equally pleased that the barman had his wits about him. (You wouldn’t have been charged for those drinks in any event but great that we were able to “catch” it in advance) Glad to read that you enjoyed our resident wildlife and of course that friendly cat that seems to have adopted us as its second home.
As ever it is pleasing to read the team were friendly and efficient and of course that Jade performed a great pedicure.

I hope you will soon fully recover and look forward to welcoming you back.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Was a lovely location with beautiful gardens. Staff could not do enough for you and were very friendly, food was lovely and the hotel felt very homely. Would definately return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Sarah C :

Thank you Sarah for your short and succinct review – it says it all - Pleased you enjoyed, look forward you seeing you again

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!