“Very Poor Room, Loss of experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Champneys Tring

You added Champneys Tring to your Saves list
Champneys Tring
4.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   Chesham Road | Wigginton, Tring HP23 6HY, England   |
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Very Poor Room, Loss of experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stayed at Champneys Tring for three nights in March 2014 paying a premium price for a Superior room, all inclusive of breakfast, lunch, dinner and three treatments.

There is little doubting the beauty of the place and the helpfulness of the staff but I was severely disappointed by the room. Finding the furniture stained and spoiled, the bathroom fittings broken and tiles dirty.

This was a return trip after celebrating my birthday there a few years ago and I was disappointed to find that many of the little attentions to detail which made the whole experience feel like a 'health' or 'relaxation' break had gone. Breakfast was no longer served in the room as standard. All of the exercise classes were full on high fitness regimes, gone were the more gentle routines. Even the morning 'stroll' around the garden was more akin to a speed walk. With the leader failing to ask if anyone had any injuries or disabilities I was forced to simply drop out when the pace was beyond my heart condition.

Sadly the 'Quiet room' which used to be a peaceful place with big reclining chairs, warm blankets, soft music and incense has now become little more than a dark cupboard with some wicker chairs and a cheap CD player. None of the staff could tell me if the mood lights worked, how to turn down the music or even seemed interested, as if they didn't know who looked after the room. When you have just paid a large amount of money on a treatment, having somewhere to rest and make the most of the experience is essential.

I had two very good massages and highly recommend the coconut poultice full body massage. The food was delicious and shows just how you can still enjoy a healthy menu. Its such a shame that at the prices Champney's charges every cup of tea, coffee or other sundry item is charged for.

I am told by the operations manager following my complaint that a room refurbishment is under way and will be completed by August 2014. I have been offered a free upgrade for my troubles but I wont be returning when on reflection I feel the whole experience was far from good value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

My daughter and I went to Champneys in Tring, we had a relaxing time, the staff looked after us and we had good food to eat.
I needed the break and made sure I enjoyed every moment from day one!!!
The room was exceptionally beautiful and clean, it was nice to stay in the main house the rooms there are much quieter and spacious.

Room Tip: If you can afford it stay in the main house, the rooms are beautiful and the view stunning looking o...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Amazing day , sat outside in our robes on the summer furniture sipping tea and homemade smoothies. I can honestly say i felt like i was on holiday. Good gym and great food at lunch. The day flies though so my advice is try not to book too many treatments and enjoy the surroundings. I thought the cafe had a lovely atmosphere and i was in my element in the Elemis shop. My only negative feedback was reception - 2 people on the desk and when i departed not one person asked me if i enjoyed my day and wouldn't say the customer service was great - the woman just seemed to be going through the motions. The rest of the experience and staff were really friendly though. I would add that this was a bogoff day for us and if i wouldn't pay full price. I agree with a previous comment that for the price i would expect atleast one soft drink or tea and not simply water. However, all in all i had an excellent time and Champneys has managed to create a touch of paradise in the UK!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I have been visiting Champneys Tring for about 25 years now, from the odd day to staying for up to a week at a time. I have seen many changes/refurbs over the years but I was shocked at how the facilities and the service have deteriorated in such a short space of tiem.

After a break of two years, during which time I got married, I decided to take my husband there for 4 days at the end of March on a "3 nights for 2" offer.

As he had never been there before, he loved it and found it very relaxing, although he did think that compared to other spas/hotels, the decor in certain areas (e.g. pool changing rooms) is very poor and in need of redecoration. Our garden room on the ground floor was also shabby, particularly the bathroom with a peeling ceiling and shower that could not be used without flooding the entire floor.

The saddest change (and I believe this may be down to a new Ops Manager) is the lack of staff. The place was like the Marie Celeste.

I understand that establishments such as Champneys have no doubt been affected by the recession and that salaries are the biggest cost to any business but cost cutting should not be at the expense of service or health and safety.

Service in the restaurant for evening meals was slow. We had incorrect meals given to us on more than one occasion and no extra vegetables were brought to us, even though we asked for them. If we had been in a high street restaurant, we would have walked out and not gone back. Saying that, the food (when it finally came) was up to its usual high standard even though we had to wait an hour and a half for dinner one evening.

There were never any staff in the gym to supervise users and we actually witnessed a woman using the treadmill wearing jeans and outdoor boots. When my husband asked to book onto the Gym Intro advertised in the fitness programme, he was rudely told, "You know how to use a gym don't you? The machines are all pretty straight forward".

The majority of the staff seem over worked, demoralised and miserable.

You now have to pay if you want more than one hot drink in the Drawing Room after dinner but this did not seem to matter as the member of staff manning the machines was constantly being pulled away to serve in the restaurant due to lack of staff, and the drinks station was a free-for-all with guests helping themselves to teas and coffees.

The spa desk were infexible and unhelpful. It was not possible to change treatment times or book additional treatments, even though the spa area was never visibly busy.

In the pool and thalasso changing rooms there were hardly any towels and towel bins were constantly overflowing. In fact by 4pm they had usually run out of towels in the thalasso changing room. In all my years of visiting Champneys, I have NEVER seen the changing rooms in such a poor state. I didn't see a cleaner once in the changing rooms in the 4 days I was there.

My final grouch is that there is absolutely nowhere to purchase feminine hygiene products. I find this unbelievable when the majority of guests are probably women. Where have the vending machines in the ladies gone? When I asked reception where I could purchase tampons she said, "Oh I don't know, maybe the Boutique but it doesn't open until 9am". I have never stayed in any hotel or gone into any work place where you cannot buy at least a packet from a vending machine. She didn't even offer directions to the nearest Tesco!

Usually within 2 days of returning from a trip to Champneys I would be sent an on line questionnaire to complete regarding my stay but this has not been forthcoming, hence this report here which i must say, 2 years ago, I would NEVER have thought I would be writing.

Champneys will always have a special place in my heart but it needs to be careful because it is riding on its reputation and not keeping up with newer spa facilities. Customer care is sadly lacking and where I always used to feel like a welcomed guest, I was made to feel like an irritating customer in a place that I would once have referred to as my second home.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Courteous staff and excellent facilities. It is a world of smiling helpful people and the guests are nice too. Stayed in a superior room in the Mansion which was excellent and luxurious, Could do with more interesting evening lectures. Grounds pleasant to walk in, but rather flat. They have plenty of offers to watch out for and the reception will tell you about what is available. Food excellent and as much as you can eat, all carefully sorted out for you. No red meat. It does what it says on the tin.

Room Tip: In garden room you might have to walk a way but are guaranteed a view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
St Albans, Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I took my mum to Champneys Tring for Mother's Day as part of their Mother and Daughter package. The day started off well as we were welcomed in the morning with breakfast, fruit and tea/coffee, followed by a tour of the spa. The tour was definitely needed as the layout is a little confusing, especially as the swimming pool and jacuzzi are completely separate which we found a bit odd. The facilities itself are ok but a little outdated, and the swimming pool lacked any kind of relaxing atmosphere (only a few loungers available and felt a bit like a gym pool). The changing rooms definitely need a good clean and refurbishment, and the lockers are difficult to use as you have to use 4 digit code. I had to try 5 different lockers before I could find one that actually worked, and by the end of the day, my mum and a couple of other guests had to get a member of staff to unlock the lockers as they wouldn't open again. The package we used included a session in the thalassotherapy pool, an aromatic wrap and a luxury manicure or pedicure. The wrap was very disappointing and basically involved a very quick bit of body brushing, application of aromatherapy oil and then being covered (rather than wrapped) with foil and a blanket/towel. The luxury manicure saved the day however, as the lady I had was very pleasant and accommodating. One thing to mention is that the spa doesn't let you choose when you have lunch or have treatments, instead they give you a schedule upon arrival. We found this quite annoying as they had only given us half an hour for lunch, and had booked my body wrap and mum's thalassotherapy pool straight afterwards. I don't think many people would enjoy a treatment or pool session immediately after eating a buffet lunch! I tried to rearrange our lunch booking but they said they were fully booked so could only move it 15 mins earlier. The lunch itself was ok but nothing special - the only drinks included in the package was still or sparkling water. When I asked for a drinks list, they said I would have to pay for anything other than water which was fine, but then they never came back to take my order and by then I had to run off to my treatment! Overall, the outdoor jacuzzi is great with really pretty scenery but the food and the rest of the spa isn't up to scratch for the price we paid so don't think we'll be going back.

• Stayed March 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

There are two very clear things about Champneys. Firstly, it is no longer the "creme de la creme" of health resorts and secondly, when you read all the other poor reviews, it's obvious the management are not interested as all the things that have been mentioned before are still happening now (I visited here at the end of March). I can give you many examples - changing rooms are in a terrible condition (dirty, mouldy, tiles coming off etc), bins in toilets are never emptied, very tired en-suite bathroom, main hotel staff in general (apart from one porter) were not interested in welcoming you or thanking you for your patronage. The treatment staff are Champneys only saving grace. The best comment I received was on my final day, 2 treatments had been booked for my (disabled) mother and myself, back to back 9am-11am. Check out is at 11am and I asked for the £40 late check out facility. This was not available so I explained my treatments didn't finish until 11am. "OK, you can have 5 extra minutes". When I repeated my mum was disabled, he said I could have 10 mins!!! It was all the little things that make a difference (why charge extra at breakfast for a cappocino?) and sadly, this resort has lost touch with keeping itself above the rest. I will not be returning as there are so many fantastic hotels offering wonderful spa treatments and would be delighted to have my custom and at a fraction of the fortune I just paid.

Room Tip: IF you choose to still make a reservation (and you have been warned), request a ground floor room wi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Champneys Tring? Share your experiences!