I went to Tring on a 5 night Christmas break offer. Overall the break was good - largely due to the fact that I was there on a special offer, there were relatively few guests, and a special effort had been made for Christmas. I saw no refurbishment works during my visit and much of the tired building was hidden/distracted by sparkly decorations, although some of it is clearly in need of a facelift.
The spa treatments are not good value, for example:
- £25 for thalassotherapy, which most spas offer for free
- treatments tend to start late and finish early so they are more expensive per minute than they look
- some of the treatments are not very good - e.g. I booked a 25 minute back and shoulder massage (£40) which only lasted 15 minutes and seemed to consist of ineffectual doodling, despite asking for strong pressure
- some therapists work when they should be off sick; I had treatments with therapists who I could hear sniffing every 2 minutes and/or who had serious digestive issues, which was not at all relaxing and made me worry that I would pick up their germs.
Having said all that, I also had a good facial - but that was one good treatment out of 5. Perhaps the 3 treatments on offer as part of my package were on offer precisely because they were not particularly popular or good?
Reservations were brilliant (on the phone and by email) but, on arrival, check in was irritatingly slow (as was check out).
The fitness classes I went to were good and the instructors were enthusiastic and competent. The fitness facilities at Tring are fine, and over the Christmas period the (reduced number of) classes were not oversubscribed - but on my final day, the number of guests increased significantly and some of the facilities became so busy that it was not very restful or pleasant to use them (queues for sauna and for gym equipment, busy swimming pool, making swimming lengths tricky). I heard from other customers that there can be serious problems in getting into exercise classes unless you book in advance (and pay £3 per class extra for the privilege).
The food was tasty and fresh but the booking system for meals doesn't really work (on my last evening, I booked dinner for 7pm, but had to wait nearly 25 minutes for someone to take my order - and I wasn't even offered a piece of bread during my wait!).
The most worrying thing was the Champneys feedback form - despite pointing out some fairly serious problems (eg for a spa to have poor treatments is pretty damning) the form still rated my satisfaction as 87.5% - I went back to review the form and on each occasion it automatically converted some of my negative ratings into positive ones!
Given that Tring is meant to be Champneys flagship resort, I was disappointed - and I would have been REALLY disappointed if I had chosen the resort primarily for the spa treatments. The facilities are OK, but no better than many of its competitors - competitors who seem more committed to improvements and to customer satisfaction than Champneys.
I really hope that Champneys accepts and responds to the feedback it is receiving via TripAdvisor, otherwise all its fancy refurbishment works and filming will be in vain.
- Also Known As:
- Champneys Tring Hotel Tring
- Champneys Tring Hotel
- Champneys Hotel Tring
- Tring Champneys Hotel
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Champneys Tring reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.