“A variety of problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Letchworth Hall

You added Mercure Letchworth Hall to your Saves list
Mercure Letchworth Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Letchworth Lane | Letchworth Garden City, Letchworth SG6 3NP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Letchworth
London, United Kingdom
“A variety of problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We arrived to find the room freezing cold. I rang down and they said someone would come straight away. 15 minutes later I called again and it went to voicemail so I left a message. 15 minutes later I called again and then 2 people turned up at once. So 45 minutes later after huddling under the duvet, I find out that the heating was being fixed in that part of the hotel. I asked why they checked me in there, I got a glass of wine to say sorry and a fan heater.

I then checked our booking to find we should have had a bottle of prosecco in the room. This wasn't there so we had it with dinner instead.

We had one small bottle of water in the room and one set of towels. We got given more towels and we ordered some water. They wanted £10 for this but agreed on £4 when we settled the bill.

We came down for breakfast at 9.45. There wasn't any food so we had to had to wait a while. They ran out of glasses so we couldn't have juice. More glasses came but ran out straight away so we had to move quickly. The food came but disappeared quickly too and we never got a look in with the sausages.

The staff were all apologetic and they were nice but it just seemed to be one problem after another. On the positive, the room and food were nice.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Explorer

Thank youf for your candid review following your recent visit to the Letchworth Hall Hotel.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the incoinveniences caused to you during your stay with us. Please be assured that I will be fully investigating the matter with the relevant Head of Department and implementing new procedures to ensure that situations similar to this do not re-occur.

Once again my apologies for this matter as a whole. I do hope that this does not deter you from visiting us again and that myself and the team here at Letchworth Hall have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the very near future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Royston, Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We held our wedding ceremony and reception at the Letchworth Hall Hotel on the 12th October 2013. We had an intimate wedding with 36 guests comprising of family and close friends. The ceremony was held in the Butterfield Room and we had the Wedding Breakfast in the Lytton conservatory next door. I could not fault the hotel for all tthat hey did for us and our guests that day. Loren Wood was the hotel's Wedding co-ordinator and she worked closely with me on the run up to the day. I had a vision of how I wanted both rooms set out and I wasn't disappointed at all, they exceeded my expectation on all levels. It all flowed very smoothly and we were treated to the most amazing food too ! The talk for many days following the wedding was 1) 'the dress' and 2) the amazing food !!
Because we were a small party, we were able to negotiate a choice of meals for our more fussy eaters.
I stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding and we received a complimentary room the night of the wedding too. We were given an executive bedroom in the new part of the hotel. The room was huge and comfortable. The hotel offered our guests discounted room rates (including breakfast) - the breakfast is a buffet style and again, I could not fault the food; there was a good choice of hot and cold food.
All the staff we came into contact with during our wedding worked tirelessly to make our day so special, so I would like to say a huge thank you.
I would thoroughly recommend the hotel for a wedding, however big or small !

Room Tip: Some of the bedrooms are over the function rooms and some of my guests were kept awake due to the no...
Dear Jackie

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your wedding day here at Letchworth Hall Hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you had a wonderful day and I agree with your guests, your dress looked fabulous. I will be passing on your comments to Loren also, she works really hard and closely with all of our brides in order to ensure that their special day is as they want it and I think that this shows.

Once again thank you for your lovely comments. Myself and all the team wish you and your husband all the best for the future and we do hope that we have the oppurtunity in welcoming you back to the Letchworth Hall Hotel again in the very near future.

Essex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I booked the afternoon tea after seeing Letchworth Hall advertised on Afternoon Tea Co website. It looked lovely.
I thought this was an ideal place for my husbands 60th Birthday get together for relatives from around the country. Devon Essex and Nothamptonshire. The setting was nice and the service was pleasant, but we did not get what was depicted in the photo or even in their own advert. It was a big let down for a big day.
I paid £188 for 1 scone, half a sandwich and a cube of cake (carrot or fruit) per person - a pretty poor show. If I had known I was going to get a Tesco Value Range version I would have booked elsewhere. I'd add a photo of the cake stand but there are people from other groups eating their tea in the background who may not like their picture displayed!!
I emailed the hotel and to this date they have still not replied - so I have contacted ACCOR group instead.
This special event can not be repeated, the memory will last though.
Choose somewhere else if you want a nice afternoon tea.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear MacPac

Thank you for taking the time to post such a constructive review following your recent visit to the Letchworth Hall Hotel.

I was disappointed to learn that yourself and your 22 guests did not like the 2 for 1 afternoon tea offer that the hotel provides. I am positive in saying that had you pointed out your disappointed on the day then the team would have done their utmost to rectify this.

However I was pleased to hear that the team went the extra mile and were able to assist you in plating the cupcakes and the birthday cake that you brought to the hotel in order to celebrate your husbands birthday.

Once again thank you for your feedback. Please be assured that I will be communicating your comments with the team so that we can all learn from your experience.

I do hope that we can have the oppurtunity to welcome you back to Letchworth Hall in the future and should you wish to visit us again, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly and I will be delighted to personally assist you.

Lethbridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed in the old side of the building. It was lovely and quaint. The staff were excellent and very accommodating. The bedroom was small but very adequate with a nice sized ensuite. The restaurant was quite busy at the weekend but very quiet during the week and we were given very good service. Huge breakfast buffet and a beautifully presented evening meal.

Room Tip: I really liked the old part of the hotel but it had lots of little steps up and down and therefore n...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Fiona M

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent visit to the Letchworth Hall Hotel.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we are very much looking forward to having the oppurtunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Letchworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

When booking I explained that I would be in a wheelchair and was assured that the venue was disabled friendly. I rang again the day before and re iterated the wheelchair situation.
On arrival at Reception there is a huge stone step down to get in. No ramp and no member of staff offering help. My husband negotiated the way into the Great Hall. Good afternoon tea but staff had to be found to ask for more tea.
On leaving I asked at Reception where the disabled loo was located. I was informed it was along the corridor and down the step (no ramp) oh and by the way workmen were fixing it so it was unavailable. I could use the facilities in the bar but these did not have disabled access.
Come on Letchworth Hall. In this day and age I am appalled that basic facilities were denied me simply because I cannot walk. My fellow guests did not have to go home cross legged. This really took the edge off a lovely afternoon. Please be more aware of everyone's needs not just those lucky people who can walk.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback.

I will discuss your comments with the team and hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

falmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stay at this hotel on a regular basis. Hotel staff are very good. Breakfast and room service good standard. Nice country location near A1M. We stayed in the old part of the hotel in room 88 unfortunately the hotel kitchen staff have rooms above so it is very noisy with creaking floorboards late at night and early morning. Very good pub called THE FOX nearby and has Michelin rating and superb food and real ales. The Hotel needs to tidy up its gardens,grass lawns are kept tidy.
Best hotel in the Hitchin and Letchworth area.

Room Tip: Stay in newer part of hotel. Old part nice but noisy due to staff living on top floor.
Dear Penderowen

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent visit to the Letchworth Hall Hotel. Your feedback is invaluable to us and I will be sharing your thoughts with the team.

I do hope that myself and the team have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Letchworth Hall in the very near future.

leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The hotel is within easy reach of the a1 and has lots of nice lounges in which to hold meetings. Plenty of friendly, attentive staff on hand and food and drink well priced. Ample care parking and nice gardens.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Mavis

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent visit to the Letchworth Hall Hotel. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and we do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back very soon.

Deputy General Manager

Been to Mercure Letchworth Hall? Share your experiences!