“Overall a fantastic weekend away!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Manor Of Groves Hotel to your Saves list
Manor Of Groves Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   High Wych, High Wych CM21 0JU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in High Wych
“Overall a fantastic weekend away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at Manor of Groves in March with friends for birthday celebrations. The hotel is in beautiful scenery, on arrival the staff were very helpful and we were allocated a spacious room, so we were very happy. That evening we had a few drinks in the bar and twe ate dinner at the hotel which was lovely. The second night we wanted a change of scenery for our meal and the reception staff were very helpful in advising us to go to a really fun mexican restaurant nearby.

Overall, we had a great weekend. I would highly recommend Manor of Groves and have even booked a trip here for my parents for my Mums birthday.

• Stayed March 2013
GeneralManagerMOG, General Manager at Manor Of Groves Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for your review Gemma, great to read you had such a wonderful time and we look forward to welcoming you back again for your Mums birthday!

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

There were 14 golfers on a golf weekend and we all shared twin rooms. The small single beds were not very comfortable and as we are both over 6 ft tall we would have liked a bigger bed.
The room was ok but a bit dusty and the shower was great.
The buffet breakfast was what you would expect and the evening dinners were very good. Good menus.
The service thoughout the weekend from all the hotel staff was excellent.
The bar being in the reception area was a bit strange and therefore lacking in atmosphere and on the 2nd evening we all went to the local town and found a pub.
The swimming pool, gym etc was extremely good and very clean.
The golf course was great, very well maintained and enjoyed by all of our group.
If it is a golf weekend you are looking for then I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Even if you are alone. Avoid the single beds.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I'm glad the golf course was to your liking! Damien, my Head Greenkeeper and his team are very proud of the work done over the last couple of years which has yielded such a fantastic playing surface.

I hope we can welcome you back to Manor of Groves next year.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hotel is fine, but it wasn't what I had hoped: By looking at the website I had expected to feel like I was staying in an old-fashioned stately home, but that wasn't the atmosphere at all. For example, I had hoped for old-fashioned furniture in the rooms and an old-fashioned bar/lounge in which to sip whiskey... Instead the inside of the building had a very modern/plastic feel and the (in any case modern) bar was closed for private functions on both nights I was there. I think you might get more of an "experience" if you stay in one of the suites in the old wing of the manor. Unfortunately, my room was only old-fashioned in all the ways I didn't want - with a musty smell, old carpet and dodgy shower. It's also a shame that the grounds have been turned into a big golf-course - there were not many benches on which to sit and read a book/admire the view.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Im sorry you didn't get the experience you expected. It is never our intention to mislead anyone, and we do have a mix of Old and New in the hotel bedrooms. There are benches around the grounds and some quiet areas, and our team would be able to point you in the right direction if you weren't able to locate them.

Essex, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This review is a bit late in being written but here goes..... basically we booked a honeymoon suite in the hotel for our wedding night.

Soon as we arrived in our room we noticed how cold it was and immediately asked for extra heaters. We ordered room service which was lovely. However the reason for my bad review is that the room next door to our apparent honeymoon suite was having a party! with occupants in and out slamming the door continuously. We complained twice about the noise to reception. They apologised and tried to deal with the situation but the noise didn't stop until the early hours. And with that and being freezing cold it wasn't the best wedding night!! obviously those things may not be the hotels fault and they did try and compensate us by giving us a free breakfast but overall i was disappointed with the room too. For a honeymoon suite I'd expect it to be special- however this was not the case. It was a very basic room with a four poster bed that was a bit ratty with a dated and dirty on-suite bathroom. Defo in need of a make-over such a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Im sorry that you had this experience. My Duty managers and night team are well briefed into how to handle these situations and it is sad that people do not react to requests we make.

I wish you every happiness in your married life

Kind regards,
East yorks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This hotel aspires to be a high quality hotel providing all the services expected in such establishments. It certainly has the potential to be very good but to do so requires greater attention to detail and cleanliness.

The hotel facilities are very good, the golf course, pool and gymnasium. The grounds are also very nice and vast which makes the hotel a peaceful place to be. The room that I had was quite big and contained the usual facilities including complimentary wifi which worked very well. However, the room furniture and furnishings were tired as was the decor. All the seat coverings were quite badly marked with stains which gave an impression of being dirty. The carpet similarly had marks all over it. The bed was comfortable but the bedding was not so nice and did not feel as crisp and clean as you might expect though it was sufficiently clean; I would not have used it otherwise! Similarly, the towels were not white as they should have been but quite old and discoloured.

Breakfast was quite basic, but ample. The lunches that were provided as part of our conference package were very good, with a good selection of food all prepared to a high standard. Also, the staff were very attentive and helpful.

All in all this hotel was good, but there was a great deal of room for improvement. This would not stop me staying there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, we are looking to upgrade our chairs and soft furnishings in some of the rooms

We have already invested in new duvets. I have asked our laundry company to update the towels after your review and my Housekeeping team have been told to reject any that are not up to standard. They generally are very good, but some can slip through the net.

We have a plan of carpet cleaning also, so every bedroom is cleaned on a regular basis, so I have asked my housekeeping manager to pay special attention on the next round of cleaning.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Manor of Groves in the near future
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed at the MoG for a week whilst on business. Was allocated a front 2nd floor room which faced onto the front of the hotels car park.

The room was ok in size but was very tired, I dont know when the last renovation was but it definately is in need of an update.
The beds were two singles pushed together and were very uncomfortable as one would be slightly higher than the other. The bathroom had black limescale around the shower surround and sink. Other than that there was wifi in the room (very slow) and replenished tea/coffee and biscuits each day.

The service in the restaurant and the bar was very slow, I got the impression that the staff were very young and inexperienced but they were friendly. The prices are expensive and I would suggest the meals were much nicer form the bar menu than the restaurant.
Breakfast was very very good, a large selection which would fill you for the day.

I had access to the Health club which was a big plus, the pool was nice along with the gym/facilities. It was busy though between 4.30 and 7pm.

Checking In and Out was fine with no problems.
Overall the MoG looks exceptional from first view, but like a book it shouldnt be judged by the cover.

Room Tip: Try to get a rear hotel room and not a car park facing room. The noise is terrible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Some of our rooms have a traditional hotel 'zip and link bed' and you should not be able to notice it is that type of bed, this may have not been zipped correctly and was obviously noticeable. The Housekeeping team know the importance of making sure these beds are zipped properly.

The food in the Restaurant is changed on a daily basis as we continue to offer a change to the menu every day as we have a lot of regular customers who like the variety. Everything is made from scratch on the day. Our pricing & service time reflects this. Everything is cooked to order and not batch cooked and reheated as some other three-star hotels will do.
The bar menu is made from high quality ingredients but stays the same for a couple of months. Some of our regular customers prefer Restaurant food, some the bar menu.

I hope on your next visit you will enjoy the experience a little more
Kind Regards
Harlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I were married at the Manor of Groves on 25 April, and the entire experience was excellent.

Laura greeted us for our initial appointment and guided us through absolutely everything. Nothing was left to chance. Always a smile, but also very professional. At the final meeting with her, she handed us over to Charlotte's care for the actual day. We were not disappointed, as she also guided us through everything with attention to detail and nothing was too much trouble.

It was a pleasure for us to be married in the Library by the Registrar. Again, very professional but guided through in a relaxed and happy atmosphere.

The bridal suite was beautiful - huge, and with wonderful views of the lovely gardens and golf course.
Plenty of room for the bride to have hair and makeup attended to, and loads of natural light.

I cannot praise the staff highly enough. I said at the time that they must have been chosen for their smiles as much as for their ability and experience. Even the young waiters at the bar were so pleasant and easy to talk to.

In our experience, a wonderful venue for anyone considering getting married. Small or large party, extremely well delivered.

Room Tip: Some rooms have better views than others. Ask for garden or golf course rooms if possible on high f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Its wonderful to receive such a glowing review. We pride ourselves on our service delivery of peoples special days.

Charlotte is a great professional and her team love working for her, and this comes across to our Brides.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary?

Our best wishes for a very happy life together

Regards
Dean Thompson

Been to Manor Of Groves Hotel? Share your experiences!