“Could be wonderful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in High Wych
London, United Kingdom
“Could be wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have just come back from a stay at Manor of Groves. It's a beautiful hotel in a gorgeous surrounding, however, I feel it could be ohh so much better with a few special touches and improvements.
On arrival, we were given a room with a bed with no mattress cover... This should have been checked beforehand. We were moved to a room across the hall, which was fine... No special touches though.

The bathroom was freezing and the towel rail didn't heat up. The shower screen was far too small, so water went all over the floor, and the plug needed fixing.

Apart from that, the bed was comfortable.

We had two evening meals, which were wonderful. The food and service were outstanding!

The gym was a pleasant surprise too. Lots of equipment, set on three levels.

Overall, our stay was lovely.

• Stayed January 2013
GeneralManagerMOG, General Manager at Manor Of Groves Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Anglea, thank you for your review and your comment card which arrived on my desk this morning. I am sorry the bed had no mattress protector. All our beds have them, so am not sure why this has not been replaced. I will make sure it is back in place this evening.

I have also asked my Maintenance Manager to fix the towel rail as these are powerful enough to keep the bathrooms at a comfortable temperature.

Im so pleased you enjoyed your meals, our chefs work hard to produce the best menus they can with the best ingrediants we buy. We freshly prepare all our vegetables, a boast not many 3 star hotels can make! We even grow some of our own tomatoes and lettuce.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Manor of Groves in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Dean Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Barnet
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in December after my sister's wedding. On the positive side the breakfast was good, the rooms although quite dated were large and the gym had pretty good equipment. We had a problem with noise in our room (11) early the morning after (from 0530) and after trying to sleep through it for a while let reception know about it. They told us tgere was a waterpump above the room and offered a room swap, but my wife and i were awake so declined, said we'd want a discount on the room rate and went for a swim. When I came to check out I was told that the maximum they could do there and then was give me a 10% discount and I'd need to contact the management later on and ask for anything else. I wasn't happy with this so agreed with the duty manager that I would contact the general manager, explain the issue and agree what I should pay. On contacting the manager I was shocked by the response I have received. The tone of the mails was rude including saying my leaving the hotel meant he could not offer me any discount (in spite of the fact everything I did was as agreed with the manager) and later implying a "confrontation" had occurred at reception, which was also not the case as the duty manager was very reasonable and understood my issue. I've offered to pay with a 20% discount (I wasn't expecting anything major) and this was agreed, but the way the general manager dealt with my question about the noisy room was absolutely terrible. I was left very much with the feeling I ceased being a customer once I complained and the objective was simply to find a reason to disregard my issue. As I say the hotel wasn't bad, just the service afterwards. As long as you make sure you request a quiet room (they didn't tell me or anyone involved with the wedding any of the rooms were noisy) and don't have any other cause for complaint you should be ok.

• Stayed December 2012
Harlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have been here on many occasions with my Hubby and for business purposes!

Always found the bedrooms extremely clean and comfortable, the food good and the staff very helpful!

The last trip was for business but also went here for our Company Christmas do in December 2012.

Highly Recommended

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind reviews, its great to hear we get it right for you time after time, rather than a 'one-off'

Thank you for your comments and please let me know if you need a room for a special occasion in the coming months, and we will do our best to give you a wonderful stay!

manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Good position rooms fine but restaurant too near to bar bunch of golfers having very happy conversations but totally overpowering atmosphere in restaurant nobody doing anything wrong but a little over facing . Food in restaurant for lack of a better term dire stay in room and have burger and chips or fish and chips

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Im sorry you found the Restaurant a little 'over facing' sometimes when you are seated near a bigger table it can be. My team are aware of this and try whenever possible to seat people in a way that everyone will be happy. Its not always possible.

I am surprised by your comments on the food, we have a freshly prepared Table d'hote menu every day. All meat bought from our local Butcher, all vegetables peeled and prepared on the premesis, and cooked by a team trained and developed by my Head Chef, Lee Murton. Sometimes not to everyones taste but we try to vary the 6 dishes so there is something for everyone.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I recently got married at the Manor of Groves and had an amazing day in such a stunning location. The grounds are well maintained and the staff on reception and especially in the events team were beyond helpful! Excellent service and helped me with my million and one questions which made planning a wedding in this location easy- just what any bride-to-be needs!
The bridal suite was stunning and clean with amazing views of the grounds. Would definitely stay here again on an anniversary and recommend this place to anyone thinking of getting married here.

Thank you so much for everything you did for us- we will always be grateful.

Room Tip: The bridal suite is amazing, stunning views from your room and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Its always great to recieve such great feedback especially for something as important as your Wedding Day. My team are dedicated to making things run smoothly and am glad this was the case for your special day.

I wish you all the happiness together and look forward to welcoming you back to Manor of Groves for your Wedding Anniversary

Kind Regards,
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

ok not as advertised but ok .some nice places to eat other than here though.some nice places within 1 mile top class pubs and eateries.this wouldnt be my first choice with so many better places within a short distance away.look up other good food outlets in this area.only my opinion though..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerMOG, General Manager at Manor Of Groves Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thanks for your review. Not sure what you mean by not as advertised, but we have a table d'hote menu that changes daily. All dishes are freshly prepared. We make our own bread, pates, sauces, in fact almost everything, we can, which not too many three star hotels can boast.

We even in the summer grow some of our own prodeuce, from lettuce to corn and all our herbs are grown on site and not bought in.

Hopefully you will return and we can enjoy a five star rating from you!

Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

arrived here for a week stay,the tray that was out side my room at two oclock when i checked in is still there 6 hours later with food on it not being removed showes the commitment to there customers.lunch ok but couldnt get in the restaraunt as it was fully booked ,but at the time i asked was not a problem,the staff booked me in for lunch but then told me there was no tables avalible,poss because i was only one person and not a party of ten.i had a bar meal instead £1150 burger.mmmm over cooked frozen chips shop salad and garnish,poor really ,but lets see what the rest of this week brings

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Steve, I did write to you during your stay to make sure the rest of your stay went well, and we didnt get another review which was disapointing. I can assure you the salad and garnish was not shop bought and even some of our herbs and salads are grown on site.

Im sorry we didnt impress you enough for the rest of the week to post a better review.........

Dean Thompson

Been to Manor Of Groves Hotel? Share your experiences!