“Great location for London” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rooms from £53
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Manchester UK
“Great location for London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here 28th to 30th September. We found this hotel extremely convenient and reasonably priced. It is in the centre of Hemel Hempstead and only 30 minutes from London but without the price tag. Free car parking is available but phone the hotel for the postcode of car park. The hotel is situated amongst shops and restaurants are nearby. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff helpful. I cannot comment on the food within the hotel because we did not eat there due to my experience at Premier Inn Aberdeen city centre over the past four weeks. I would recommend this hotel for anyone wishing a visit to London who is on a budget. I was quoted £1100 for three rooms at a Premier Inn in central London. My cost here was £297 for three rooms !! A taxi is approximately £4.50 from the hotel to the train station and once there, ask for a family day travel card. Trains run every 30 minutes to Euston station where tube trains to all parts of the capital are available. If travel is with a family, tickets are £12.50 each, individual tickets are £18.50 each. This rail ticket allows travel on train, tube and bus.

Room Tip: Ask for a family room even when travelling as a couple.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
David B, Manager at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear holidaytom2,

Thank you for taking your time to review us on tripadvisor.com.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found us extremely convenient and reasonably priced.
I do hope you enjoyed your trip to London and I hope we see you again soon.

Hemel Hempstead Central

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Booked as a last minute thing as going to a wedding nearby. Really pleased with the hotel - very clean and a pleasure to stay in, Double bedroom had ample room. Was on the top floor - really good views of Hemel! We were a bit skeptical about the car parking situation but it was very easy - just a short walk along the footbridge and past a couple of shops. Was also very well lit when we came back very late. Reception staff were very friendly on arrival and at breakfast, Breakfast was very nice and a really good standard with lots of choice - we had the all you can eat option, Really enjoyed this break and if you like shopping too it was in an ideal location as its all on your doorstep. Couldn't hear outside noise and had a solid sleep. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
David B, Manager at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Chrissie C,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. Your feedback serves as a great motivator to our team here at Hemel Hempstead Central and I will be sure to pass on your great review.
I am also glad you found your stay very pleasant, as well as our team and also that you enjoyed our all you can eat breakfast.
We look forward to seeing you again soon

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Well located for town centre. Close to all facilities and amenities. Not noisy considering proximity to road system. easy access from rooms to the shopping centre and restaurants and bars. Handy for the town centre.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com

Dear Stewart B,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We greatfully appreciate any feedback we recieve.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and found it quiet.
We hope to see you again soon

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Recently stayed here for 1 night to visit Harry Potter world. Initially was surprised that the car park was a public multi storey car park and thought we were going to have to pay to park but at check in we're quickly reassured that they simply 'stamp' your ticket so there is no charge on exit. We were a little early for check in but our room was ready.
Room was extremely warm and A/c not working properly. We moved to another room- much better, however, come bed time when we tried to turn the fan off , we couldn't. It was too noisy to keep on high all night so spent a rather warm night without the A/C. We mentioned this on check out and were offered our money back in full, no quibbles! Apart form the heat the room itself and bed etc were lovely. Would not hesitate to stay here again if ever in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear warmwaterdiver123,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on tripadvisor.com. We greatly appreciate any feedback we recieve to help us improve where we can.
I am sorry to hear you had problems with the heating and fan, we are currently awaiting our new cooling and heating systems.
We hope to see you again soon

Peel, Isle of Man
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

As a disabled guest travelling alone I was very disappointed with the hotels disabled accommodation.

ACCESS:
Room 211 is on the second floor, which in itself is no problem as there are 2 lifts. However, once you exit the lift there's a locked door which you need to open with your key card, which is very difficult to do on your own in a wheelchair. This door opens outwards and does not close slowly so by the time you've pulled the door open and lined the chair up to get through, the door has closed and you're back to square one! When you eventually get through this door there is a very awkward angle to line yourself up for yet another awkward access door.
Sadly the access problems don't end there. The corridors are quite narrow, and I found it almost impossible to turn into my room whilst seated in my wheelchair and trying to hold the door open at the same time. Also the doors appear to be only standard width, making access to the room even tighter.
I did mention all this when I arrived, but was told that if I needed help getting in and out, all I had to do was ring down to reception (at a cost of 10p a minute via mobile as there are no phones in the rooms)! The assumption seems to be that disabled people don't normally travel alone, as I was told the problems I experienced have never been an issue before.

ROOM:
You should be aware that the bed is a double, so if you're not on your own make sure you're with someone you don't mind sharing a bed with! Also, the bed is lowered, so if like me you can't manage low furniture, you need to contact the hotel in advance and ask for bed raisers to be put in place.
If you're taking a laptop, or need a work surface, there is a large table in the room, but unfortunately there isn't sufficient space to use it if you're sitting in a wheelchair as you can't push it under the desk unless you remove the arms of your chair. There is one small armchair provided, but this is at a low height like the bed and is not suitable for sitting at the desk in comfort (unless you're about 8ft tall).
The tv is on a high shelf, so you'll need to get someone to turn it on for you at the switch. The kettle is also in an awkward place for wheelchair users.

BATHROOM:
This is VERY awkward to turn into whilst in a wheelchair. The bathroom is exactly that - a BATHroom, not a wet room. If you want a shower you are expected to climb into the bathtub and stand up in the bath - there is no bath board to sit on.

If you are not travelling alone you could probably just about manage in this room - but if you're on your own (as I was) you should really consider booking elsewhere. The staff are more than willing to offer assistance, but most disabled people prefer a dignified level of independence and quite rightly just wish to enjoy their stay the same as everyone else.

Finally, I'd like to suggest that management at the hotel borrow a wheelchair and go through the whole experience for themselves - on their own - from check-in to staying in the room, then maybe they will have some idea of the difficulties faced by disabled guests.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
SharnieDayasena, Manager at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Beryl G,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. we greatly appreciate all feedback we recieve. I am sorry to hear your stay was not to your satisfaction. Our reception team are always happy to help if you do experience any difficulties.
With regards to the phones not being in the rooms, we have now tackled the issue and now have phones in every room to call down to reception.
Once again I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay.

Sharnie D
Billingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I would have given this review 5 out of 5, if not for the state of the lifts. Two lifts, only one working and because the hotel reception is quite high up (with floors above), essential to use the lift with cases when going to your room. After checking in, we went out for some food and came back to the very ground floor, pressed the button for the lift and waited.........and waited........and waited. A full 15 minutes went by before the lift reached us, and then it would appear only because someone in it pressed for the ground floor. During that 15 minutes, my kids repeatedly pressed the button to call it, but nothing. I would say it could have potentially have been the ground floor call button not working, but we had the same problem on our room floor too, but it's easier to give up and walk downstairs than it is up.

Stayed for 2 nights and used it as a base to goto Thorpe Park before flying out on holiday. Right next to the town centre, so plenty of places to eat and drink. Oriental buffet right across, plsu chicken place downstairs along with several indian, chinese restuarants dotted about the pedestrianised town centre, along with Starbucks, Subway, Burger King, Wetherspoons pub etc, so plenty to choose from for food and drink.

Other than that, car parking excellent, clearly informed on the website as to which car park you need to use for free, no problem. Staff jolly and helpful. Rooms upto the usual Premier Inn standard, nice and clean and tidy..............just please, sort your lifts out !!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
David B, Manager at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear rokerzammo1970,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. your feedback serves as a great motivator to the team here at Hemel Hempstead Central and I will be sure to pass on your comments.
I am sorry to hear about the lifts, this has now been fixed. I am glad to hear you found the staff jolly and helpful and our rooms nice, clean and tidy.
We do hope you choose to stay with us again. We will look forward to your return

Mr David Brown
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

This premier inn has to be the best one I,ve stayed in, the rooms are very clean and the staff very friendly and helpful, (thanks for sorting the extra bedding Sarah and so quickly as well) this is an ideal place to stay for getting to London for days out. The bar area and restaurant look amazing now after the re-fit, we did not have a meal on a night but the breakfasts were spot on. Once again thanks for a lovely stay

• Stayed August 2013
David B, Manager at Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear acko1066,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. Your feedback serves as a great motivator to the team here at Hemel Hempstead Central and I will be sure to pass on your Kind words.
I am thrilled to hear you find us the best Premier Inn you have stayed in, and that you found our rooms to be clean as well as the staff friendly and helpful.
I am also glad you enjoyed your breakfasts and had a lovely stay.
I do hope you choose to stay with us again soon

Mr David Brown
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central

Been to Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central? Share your experiences!