“Staff were fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Maylands Avenue, Hemel Hempstead HP2 4SQ, England   |
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
“Staff were fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Travelodge have certainly upped their game. To be fair, they had to... I've had 3 surprisingly good experiences at Travelodges this year - trips there used to fill me with dread - but the attentive staff at Hemel Hempstead Gateway made this visit possibly the best one yet.
I think this is a fairly new build hotel - it seems like a particularly shiny interpretation of their 'fresh new look' and everything was sparkling clean. The new "Dreamer™" beds aren't as good as they think they are (they even offer to sell you one) but it did provide a fairly good night's sleep. The cafe/bar area is slightly clinical but functional and the staff were exceptionally welcoming and friendly both for an evening nightcap and morning breakfast. Plenty of parking, which was free as well, and the location was perfect for a quick overnight from Luton and prior to an early morning tour at the Warner Bros. Studio Tour at Leavesden.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Polegate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Typical travelodge - but newer and smarter than many ive stayed in. The young man on reception was very welcoming and smiley - ten out of ten for him!
The room was perfectly adequate, but the bed seemed a bit on the small side (- not the luxury kingsize beds they seem to keep talking about) - and we are both quite short so this isn't normally an issue for us.
My only criticism, as with many others is that the room was quite hot. This seems to be a recurring problem with travelodges - do you open the window and get disturbed by the noise from the road and the Toby Carvery below, or keep it shut and be too hot to sleep? We chose the latter, so it wasn't a great nights sleep. Maybe pack earplugs.
But considering what we paid for the room and its proximity to the place we needed to be, it was good value overall

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

New build Hotel, Nice clean rooms, and very modern. Food was very good, (we had breakfast only in hotel), Toby Carvery, Dominos and Subway restaurants attached to the Hotel, so plenty of food choices. Lovely comfy king-size beds. Very easy to get to and plenty of free parking.

Room Tip: We were located on the top (7th) floor, very quiet, A road runs around the base of the hotel, but th...
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Got to the hotel at 10pm but the staff were unbelievably helpful and made our stay so nice! We had just missed the restaurant but they offered to do snacks, and even the bar was still open till late with the staff staying to have chats! Great place, great staff! Thank you!

Room Tip: Stayed on 5th floor.. wonderful!
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We were very pleasantly surprised by our first 'Travelodge' experience. The hotel was very clean, very comfortable and we weren't disturbed by any noise at all. The staff, namely Annabel, who flitted between reception and the bar did a good job of being helpful and welcoming. It was quite busy the night we were there so Annabel had to do a lot of flitting about! We didn't have any food there apart from a plate of chips so can't really comment on that side of things. We thought it was very good value for what you pay.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The hotel has recently been done up which means it is very clean and modern so on arrival we were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was, much nicer than some of the older more tired travellodges. The bathroom is a pod style one which was great, no concerns about splashes from the shower.

So that's the good. However, when we went to go to sleep we thought we could hear a helicopter circling above, being so close to the M25 we assumed it was a police helicopter and would go away but it didn't. Having spoken to the staff in the morning it seems that it is a relatively common complaint from those staying on the top floor. My advice is if you are in rooms 701-717 change room, apparently it's not like that on the lower floors.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Brigg, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Arriving around 11.00 p.m. after a fraught journey I looked forward to getting into my room and a nice cup of tea. First thought: nice new building, should be a good stay. Fact I got my electronic room key and put my bags into my room. "Ah! I forgot my mobile, I will go down to the car and get it", which I did,returning to my room and looking forward to relaxing within a few minutes. NO the lock decided to fail to work thus I tried again, after about 20 tries I returned to reception, saw Michelle, who came up to the room and tried to gain access, no luck, took me back to lounge for a nice cup of tea, then tried the "pass key" in the lock AGAIN "you can't come in!". Now mystified she called for assistance from a young man who proved the statement "We try to please our customers" offered his apologies (He had to walk into the hotel. a 30 minutes hike) to try to resolve the problem. Still no luck. I am now getting very tired so they offered me another room, asking; if they managed to open the first room until when should they call me or should they put my property in store until the morning having called a locksmith to come in (a four hour delay) to cure the issue. Now 2.15 a.m. a tap at my (new) door and "would you like to get your things?" - (which included essential medication) which I did a enjoyed a good part nights' sleep when, finally I was able to connect with a pillow.
Next morning I asked to speak to the duty Manager (Romana) who apologised profusely
etc and asked how they should compensate me, which resulted in my being refunded the fee that I had paid and being exhorted to return in the future. I note here that the rumoured 24 hour Tesco was closed a few minutes after Midnight when I tried to get food there, I having been offered, and refused, a Pizza by Michelle, but I did find a BP / M&S filling station open 24 hours en route back to the M1.
Finally Romana told me that all Staff will be given training in how to resolve such problems as this, which turned out to be a battery failure in the lock, which, when replaced solved the lock out

Room Tip: 301 overlooks the car park, is next to the lift and seems to be of an equal quality standard to 205...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Been to Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway? Share your experiences!