“Not to the standard of the normal Macdonald hotels” 3 of 5 stars

Bobsleigh Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hempstead Road, Hemel Hempstead HP3 0DS, England   |
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
kleen
“Not to the standard of the normal Macdonald hotels”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We had a feature room which was very large however the decor was in need of updating as was the bathroom. Knobs were missing in the Jacuzzi bath and it all looked very tired. This is rated as a 3 star hotel which is fair enough. The dining room did not have any ambiance. However the food and the service was very good, in fact all the staff were pleasant and helpful. The location was good for St Albans , Hemel Hempstead and Watford. We stayed here from the 17th to the 19th Jan 2014.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We went for the New Years Eve meal with a disco and overnight stay. We stayed in a garden room which was perfect for our dog as it has a lovely big garden right outside the door! It was a good sized room and clean. On arrival the room was cold and we couldn't get the radiator to get hot, and also the bedside lights didn't work. Within minutes of reporting this we were brought a portable radiator and lamp, so soon rectified.
The actual evening started with a champagne and canopies reception and then straight through for a 4 course dinner. There was a seating plan for tables of 10, which was far better than us sat on a table for two! There was a lovely party atmosphere and the food was delicious - particularly the steak which was so tender. The service was also excellent.
After a good nights sleep the buffet breakfast was also very good.
All in all we really enjoyed our New Year stay at The Bobsleigh Hotel and would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: If you are taking a dog, ask for a garden room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We had our firms Xmas party in this hotel. It was £26.50 per ticket and was quite frankly not the best experience in the world.
The starter was a goats cheese tart served on top of a very limp rocket salad. The actual tart had spoonful of cranberry sauce in the bottom with only a couple of slithers of goats cheese on top, so tasted more like a jam tart.
The main course had three good slices of Turkey on it but only two roast potatoes(horrible), three sprouts, a small slice of stuffing,a spoonful of what I can only guess was swede mash and some carrots.
The pudding consisted of some sort of lemon mix that had not set in the fridge with some frozen forest fruits on top and tasted pretty nasty.
There was a small mince pie and complimentary tea and coffee afterwards.
The disco was run by the sixty year old member of staff and because he spent all night playing requests the music never flowed and a lot a people drifted into the bar to chat.
Beers were about £4 50 a pint and shots were about the same.
It's a shame when you come to the end of a meal you are still hungry and am left thinking I could have cooked far nicer at home. Some people will say " but it was only £26.50" but if you cannot give people a good night for that amount of money something is wrong.

• Stayed December 2013
Huddersfield, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I read some bad reviews so i was expecting it to be below par, do not listen to them, i walked in and got a nice warm welcome, it smelt nice n clean, no fuss book in, got told where my room was and offered help with my bags, corridors were clean, i walked into my room, lovely clean smell, no dust, clean bedding, bath shower combo, hot water, no mold or grimy taps, all usual hotel stuff, kettle, cups, tea, coffee ect, all in all a nice place, bad points would be, small TV, limited channels, bed is a bit short but im 6'3 so most hotel beds are, one of the cupboard handles was missing, but thats being really picky, would recommend staying personally, i have not been to the restraunt but i can guess its expensive just like every other hotel, everyone has to make a living i guess

• Stayed November 2013
Diss, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

After reading the mixed reviews my expectations were not high but I was pleasantly suprised. I stayed here on Monday 11th Nov for one night's bed and breakfast plus I also had dinner as I'd had a long journey and the menu looked okay. I felt safe, important for a woman when travelling alone. From start to finish I enjoyed my stay. A very welcoming man in reception who was helpful, friendly and a good advert for the hotel. Yes it is dated, yes it needs a facelift but the staff were lovely, the room clean and very comfortable and food freshly prepared and tasty. There was a fault with the television picture which appeared to be the outside ariel although the receptionist tried hard to fix it, however there had been heavy rain and high winds. I had plenty to read so it wasn't a huge issue. Dinner was delicious and I am particular! The menu was limited but I would rather have that than a huge selection which comes via a microwave. I had a small bowl of olives with a reasonably priced glass of red Chiliean, the vegetable soup was wholesome, very obviously homemade and really good - I make a lot of soup so feel I am a good judge! The lemon sole in butter was very fresh and cooked to perfection, the waitress warned me it was big and she wasn't wrong. The creamed spinach was a disappointment and when I told the waitress she didn't charge although I wasn't angling for that. Breakfast was a buffet selection, also good, although the melon could have been riper, the usual cereals, pastries etc. however the cooked breakfast was done to order and again tasty. I have an egg allergy and my needs were catered for admirably. I would definitely stay again if visiting my relatives. I was in a room upstairs which suited me although there were some rooms on the ground floor which I wouldn't have wanted. Thanks Bobsleigh staff!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Was in poor condition in some areas, the restaurant smelt of urine, like a pub toilet which automatically put me off. Had a look at the menu and was very overpriced. The accommodation was very dated, my Nan's standard back in her day. The tv wasn't tuned in and had no remote. The plus is that there was a bath..... But with no cold water tab! No value for money here, will be in premier inn next time. Very disappinting.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chichester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Our youngest daughter lives in the village of Bovingdon, and I am disabled (wheelchair bound) and she has no downstairs bathroom/toilet. The Bobsleigh has rooms suitable for disabled persons and the time and trouble taken by the entire staff was remarkable indeed - well trained and well led, congratulations to Macdonald Hotels in general and the Bobsleigh in particular. Breakfast was superb, the room was serviced well with everything one could wish for and I note a comment on Tripadvisor from ChefJDD but one must bear in mind the very competitive tariff. Not withstanding that, I still feel he was a little harsh. We are going back again during Christmas in order to see our daughter.

Room Tip: Rooms for disabled are ideal even for the wheelchair bound
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bobsleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!