“Fantastic Deal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Down Hall Country House Hotel

You added Down Hall Country House Hotel to your Saves list
Down Hall Country House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Matching Road | Bishop's Stortford, Hatfield Heath CM22 7AS, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hatfield Heath
Herts
“Fantastic Deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Booked a 'special deal' advertised on Facebook (£99 for overnight stay, dinner, bed and breakfast). The deal was offered for use in January and February and has now been extended for March. Well worth taking up the offer.
Lovely, warm, luxurious standard room (upgrade offered for additional £25), which we didn't think necessary.
Comfortable King size bed, warm room, large clean bathroom. Couldn't fault the room at all.
3-course dinner included in the grill room. Lovely choice from menu. Relaxed atmosphere in the restaurant (not stuffy or impersonal) friendly, happy staff and delicious food, beautifully presented.
The only complaint would be about the swimming pool being in a separate building from the main hotel, therefore you had to go outside to access it. It would be a lot better (particularly in the winter months) if there was a covered walkway leading to the pool.
Breakfast served in the Grill Room again the following morning. Good selection from the buffet, not the best breakfast ever, but certainly not the worst.
The deal is a fantastic offer, for such a prestigious hotel. If you want to treat yourself to a little luxury at an affordable price, then this is the offer for you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DownHallManagement, Manager at Down Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your feedback with the team here and we look forward to welcoming you back to Down Hall in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We booked a winter warmer retreat in this hotel and it turned out to be a mixture of very good and very bad. The bad first:

A balcony literally covered in dog ends
Hairs in the shower
Freezing cold room
Hairdryers that are worse than useless
A half-frozen apple Danish instead of the 'warm apple pie' we were promised as part of the package
Indifferent attitude when I complained (eventually offered free bottle of wine)

And the good:

It's a beautiful old house in stunning grounds
The restaurant - the food here is quite simply superb and the service was impeccable. I had one of the best meals of my life here and I have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants across the world

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Down Hall here and I am sorry to hear that your stay was not everything you expected it to be. I would be grateful if you could send us details of your reservation (name and date) to info@downhall.co.uk so we can address these issues with the relevant departments such as Housekeeping. I will certainly share your feedback with the management team.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience in the Grill Room and I will share your feedback with our Head Chef.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided on a last minute night away and found Down Hall Manor on LateRooms. We liked the look of it so booked. If you love character in a Hotel, this place has it all. It keeps in with the old themes and has kept many original fixtures and fittings. Set in gorgeous settings. On a down side, the restaurant menu has not many choices, neither does the bar food menu. The food and drink is also expensive. But, would definatly stay again. Staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive comments with regards to your stay, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed it. You will be pleased to hear that we are currently in the process of implementing a new menu in the Grill Room which will offer many more options to our guests. We expect this to be in place by the end of March.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Booked the overnight stay to correspond with afternoon tea. On arrival we was told our room was room 511 and that the lift was out of order. The reason for the stay was a treat for my husband who had recently spent 5 weeks in hospital recovering from a heart attack. I explained the to the receptionist who was not at all accomadating . The room was lovely but unfortunately we were confined due to the number of stairs my husband had to climb. Not even a bottle of water in the room!! On leaving the next day we was not even asked how our stay was, yet again I find this unprofessional from such an established hotel. Lovely setting nice breakfast shame our needs was not met.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by the location of your room.
Unfortunately, our lift has irreparably broken down and is being replaced at the moment, this is a lengthy process and we expect this work to be finished towards the end of April. In the meantime, we have instructed our front of house team to ensure that guests are aware of the location of their room and to be extra sensitive towards guests who may not be able to access to top floor rooms easily. Therefore, I am very disappointed to hear that our Receptionist did not do her outmost to change your room and I will raise this with the Reception Manager as a matter of urgency.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay such as your room and breakfast. I do hope you will consider returning to Down Hall in the future. If you contact Reservations prior to your arrival to make us aware of any accessibility concerns, we will ensure to allocate an easily accessible room.

Again, my sincere apologies and thank you for your feedback as this is the only way we can maintain our high standard of service to our guests.
Sidcup, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went there for New Year's Eve with 8 friends and had a fantastic time. Everything was what was expected - would definitely recommend it - food fab ....... Lovely rooms, friendly staff, everything great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is situated in a lovely part of the country sitting in extensive grounds which are well worth exploring when the weather permits. We visited the hotel with 4 friends and stayed overnight on 24/02 with a special deal for a murder mystery evening. We ordered sandwiches soon after we arrived as we had missed lunch, they were extremely generous with beautiful granary bread - 3 slices, with salad leaves and crisps on the side, well worth the cost. Our room was enormous and sumptuous, very clean with all facilities. The double bed was very comfortable and firm which was perfect.There was a kettle with all the necessary tea & coffee making products, along with lovely biscuits. The bathroom was spacious with a shower, no bath but that suited us. The evening meal was very good considering we had a special cheap deal and the buffet breakfast included fresh fruit, a range of cereals and cooked breakfast.
The staff was excellent and very polite, nothing was too much trouble. I do not eat meat and a piece of fish was quickly cooked for me at dinner, also a pot of decaf coffee was brought upon request. I cannot fault this hotel and we shall certainly visit again, as we would love to explore the entire grounds which are extensive.
Even though there was a wedding, with reception after, being held we were still treated as valued guests.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mrs Docherty,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, we are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we will make sure to share your feedback with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Down Hall in the future.

Down Hall Management Team
Hunstanton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We arrived late on Saturday evening. A beautiful drive upto the front of the hotel. First impressions of the hotel were good until we entered our room 206. The fire escape was in our room, so all the other guests on that floor had the facility to walk through our room should there have been a fire! In addition to that, it looked nothing like the bedroom shown on their website. This was more like the servants quarters! We requested a move as we were disappointed. We were offered room 209 but informed it was smaller. To be honest the fact we were tired we were almost tempted to drive back home to Norfolk rather than saying at the hotel! You could not swing a cat in the room. Our view out of the window was looking at a roof! I had previously booked this for my Husbands 50th Birthday in December but had to postpone it. I was just so pleased it wasn't a special occasion when we went as I would have been even more disappointed. When we went to bed that night there was noise from either the wedding or stag parties - floors creaking, doors slamming. You could even hear conversations being had next door! The breakfast was luke warm with sausages that tasted like "Sainsburys Value Range" which we used to buy for the dog! It's not very often we complain but when we did we were offered a bottle of wine to keep us quiet! We didn't take it. I am tempted to report the hotel for advertising the rooms on their website but giving people something completely different! BEWARE. We met a couple of ladies at breakfast who also had the same deal as us Wowcher but had totally different accommodation to us. Think twice before using this hotel.

Room Tip: Not 206 or 209
Dear Mr & Mrs Marks,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback with regards to your recent stay at Down Hall, we are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your room on this occasion.
As Down Hall is a very old building, we have a wide variety of rooms and unfortunately it is not possible to feature all the different rooms on our website. Room 206 has been recently refurbished and many of our guests have enjoyed this room for its fresh decor. I fully appreciate your concerns with regards to the fire escape, however I would like to reassure you that it has never occurred that other hotel guests have evacuated by this route. When you addressed your concerns with reception, they were more than happy to offer you another room in another part of the hotel however unfortunately, the hotel was fully booked and the only room available was a Mini-Double, this is a smaller room as indicated by the name. This room is mostly suitable for single occupancy and I do appreciate this room was too small for double occupancy.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy Breakfast with us, I have passed your comments on to our Head Chef who I am confident will investigate this appropriately.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, should you consider returning to Down Hall in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I can ensure a satisfactory return stay.

Kind regards,

Anna Snoep

Travelers are raving about these Hatfield Heath hotels

Been to Down Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!