“An excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel

You added Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roehyde Way, Hatfield AL10 9AF, England (Formerly Hatfield Oak Hotel )   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Newcastle
“An excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Me and my family stayed here during our trip to the Harry Potter tour on Monday August 27th. We arrived before going to the Harry Potter tour and so were asked to complete a form detailing our requirements for the evening meal to hand in on registering on our return from the tour. Because of this I expected the food to be "boil in the bag" but I don't exagerrate when I say it was absolutely delicious. I had soup to start and it was certainly not out of a tin. The fish pie for my main course was easily the best I've ever tasted. I normally avoid desserts in hotels and restaurants as I invariably find them to be far too sweet. Not this time; I had the fruit crumble and it was almost as good as I make at home (sorry chef). I'll echo MerlinRalphie's comment that the meal was slightly let down by the lack of any accompanying vegetables with the main course. I appreciate that costs will be pared to the bone when dealing with coach trips but surely it would not cost that much to put something else on the plate. It really would make all the difference.

That is the only negative comment I have to make as everything else about the hotel was very, very good. For example our mealtime was put back by 30 minutes as we were later arriving at the hotel than expected. The manager and receptionist ensured that everyone was aware of this either by speaking to them in reception or ringing the rooms. The public areas in the hotel are very well presented and the rooms are spacious and contain all the essentials.

The receptionist was helpful both when I couldn't get our door to unlock and in giving me directions to the local shops.

Overall I thought the hotel and staff to be very good but the top marks definitely go to the chef.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Thank you for your review.

I was very pleased you enjoyed your stay. All our food is home made and our chefs take a great deal of pride in their food, it is very nice to know it is appreciated. I am sorry vegetables were not served with your evening meal, I have spoken with our chef and can confirm that vegetables will be served to groups in future.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Keighley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My daughter, grandaughter and I stayed at this hotel on 26 August, as part of a Goldcrest coach trip to the Harry Potter Studio Tour and central London. I have been on quite a few coach trips with various companies but have never been accommodated in such a good hotel before. The room was huge with a massive bed, sofa bed, two coffee tables, big wardrobe, flatscreen TV with Freeview and a good variety of lighting. It was very clean and nicely decorated. We used the restaurant for dinner, which was all superb with good size portions and perfectly cooked. The service was excellent throughout. Breakfast was also very good and staff very friendly and helpful, fetching me decaffeinated coffee very quickly for example. I would definitely stay here again and can heartily recommend it.

Thank you for your review.

We have an increasing number of guests visiting the Harry Potter studios and I am pleased you found our hotel to be a good base to do this.

By the sounds of your description you stayed in one of our 14 executive rooms, which are simply enourmous I am pleased that you liked your room.

We are doubly fortunate here as we have a lovely team who have a passion for caring for our guests and also a talented kitchen team lead by our head chef Tomas. It always brings a smile to my face to learn that we get it right and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip, I dont have a bad word to say at all. Very friendly welcome when I arrived. The room was excellent, extremely clean and well presented room. Bathroom was lovely with bath and shower it was lovely to have a choice. Bed so very comfortable and very big too!
Very relaxing, restaurant was brilliant fab choice of food. Staff were very tentative. Breakfast was also extremely good with something to meet everybody's tastes.
I would have no issue recommending this hotel for a one night stay or longer, I would certainly stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for such a wonderful review.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed so many elements of your stay from the room to the restaurant and our friendly team too.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Well on par with other similar priced hotels, the bar and food menu was also very reasonable. Nice sized comfortable bed and clean room did the job.
Only 5-10 minutes walk from the shopping area too..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a coach party visiting Harry Potter studios at Leavesden. On arrival we were greeted by the smart and friendly manager. Our room was ready, clean and had a sufficient selection of tea coffee and smellies. The bed was comfortable.
As a group, a separate room to the main restaurant was set aside for us. This seemed less well decorated than other areas but was ok. We waited a while to be served but staff were pleasant. There was a choice of 3 starters and 3 main courses which was fine, although the main course (I selected turkey) consisted only of two turkey slices and 3 roast potatoes. There was no veg. Even some peas or carrots would have enhanced the presentation. However, I could not fault the starter or dessert. Both of these were well presented and delicious . Breakfast was tasty and adequate. Everything was sound value for money.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a good visit to the Harry Potter studios, we have certainly received plenty of good feedback from those guests who have been there.

I would like to appologise for our diner service, whilst I am grateful for your comments on the quality of the food and the service itself we should have served vegetables and I was dissapointed that we did not.

Hatfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was the best hotel we have found in the area and we will certainly stay again. The room was very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your review.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again
dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

we stayed for 1 night on 25th August, the hotel room was lovely and modern, very tastfully designed and with free wi fi what more could you want.
All of the shampoos soap and shower gels were complimentary as was tea and coffe.
Certainly worth a stay if in the area.
Breakfast at 2.50 a person was great, a buffet of eggs baco sausage toast jam and the best croissants you could want.

All in all great and worht the extra for breakfast which in any other hotel would have been 6 pounds a person.

Room Tip: dont even bother to take toiletries. the sat nav will direct you to flats so keep on main road an...